.22lr conversion kits...

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JeffCooper, Oct 26, 2011.

1. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

See quite a few of these kits and for the money it seems like a good way to shoot thousands of rounds for pennies. Thoughts and guidance? Preferences for a certain vendor? am I better off just buying a .22 upper?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

the cmmg kit works very very well. the only issue is accuracy is terrible out of a 223/556 barrel using 22lr the twist rate is waaaay too fast to stabilize past about 25 yards. dedicated upper or dedicated rifle like the sw mp15-22 is the way to go. cmmg makes excellent dedicated uppers but the cost is about the same as the mp15-22

the kit is superb for shtf short range rabbit/squirrel getter. it really gunks up the upper and lower.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I'm with JonM on this one. I bought the CMMG version and it's great for real close range work like shooting squirrels or dispatching a local problem.

Long range shooting is more like Kentucky Hurricane Windage as its awfully damn tricky to get a decent group out there at 100. :cool:

No problems with fit, finish or performance other than previously stated.

Fun to shoot, cycles well & without issue. For a day of close range, golf ball shooting with the boys, its a great, cheap day. :D

JD

4. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

Great advice as usual fellahs. I think I'll save up for an upper. I want to shoot on the cheap, but I'm a little wierd about it being "just right".

Don't tell my wife.

5. theboarbuster

theboarbuster New Member

I have 2 of the CMMG stainless kits. I built an AR pistol a few months back and made the mistake of putting a 22. Kit in it. I cant remember where I put the BCG anymore. My 2 boys and I shot 6 bricks of Fedaral ammo the other day. I think we had 5 jams all day long. The only bad thing I can say about the 22 kits is it sucks to load those mags. My thumbs were tore up. I am going to by one of those Bully Dog 50 rd drums
    for our next shoot. They will get your gun dirty, but it is fun.

6. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

Have you guys ever heard of the target master .22 conversion kits? Just wondering if they are the CMMG quality?