. 22lr conversion, how simple is it really?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by aikimo, Aug 4, 2013.

1. aikimo

aikimo New Member

I am new to ar15s, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question, but i just read about a 'simple' . 22lr conversion. Is this true? Have any of you done a 22 conversion on your AR? Any issues with cycling the weapon? Any suggestions on whose conversion kit to buy? To stay away from?

Thanks
    Mo

2. JackieBrown13

JackieBrown13 New Member

Why not just buy a .22lr dedicated ar15 style rifle?

3. hkhunter

hkhunter New Member

I had a CMMG conversion it is just a drop in in place of your bolt. You also need their mag to feed the bullets. It works fine. I rather a straight 22 instead. There are several conversion kits. Mine was less than $200

4. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

You can purchase a dedicated 22lr AR 15 such as a Mossberg for $300 and up. S&W make one for about $500 and I own a Colt. The swapouts are not difficult and are cheaper; I just preferred to have the extra rifle on the bench ready to go.

5. 180baseball

180baseball New Member

Like hkhunter said, you remove the takedown pins then drop out the 5.56/.223 bolt and put the .22lr bolt. Many manufacturers make .22lr AR15 mags, and your conversion most likely comes with some magazine. If your really into hi cap mags, check out black dog mags, they make 50 round drums for the .22lr AR15

6. aikimo

aikimo New Member

Thanks guys. I just bought a Bushmaster xm15 in 556/223. So the conversion makes a lot more sense for me in terms of $$.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

It will literally take u less than 30 seconds to change between .223 and .22lr

8. Palms

Palms Member

Who's conversión do you recommend? Should it fit any AR?

9. 180baseball

180baseball New Member

I have has the best results with CMMG, Ciener is also good but customer service is C+ at best. Best bet would be CMMG. Also take a look at Stag Arms... Great quality

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I like the cmmg stainless, its easy to clean I have put like 4000 rds thru it with only one issue and customer service at cmmg took care of it for free . Great customer service great product . I highly recommend their .22lr conversion kit .

11. lilnoug

lilnoug New Member

+1 for cmmg bolt carrier conversion kit. Never had a problem

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

13. sandog

sandog Member

I used the CMMG conversion bolt until recently and it works fine. Fed great with any decent ammo and plenty accurate for plinking. A few weeks ago I bought a CMMG complete upper with stainless bolt and it works great too. I got it cause I didn't want to shoot the rimfires through the 5.56 barrel, and I thought the .22 upper would be much more accurate having the proper twist, diameter and chamber for the rimfire round. You can buy a complete .22 rifle for what I paid for just the upper, but it might have a polymer upper and lower reciever, the CMMG is all metal, so feels like a "real" AR.

14. aikimo

aikimo New Member

Thanks for all the replies.. My only concern is does the 22lr have enough go to cycle the ar? I know from my pistol experience that is a real issue with semiautomatic pistols.. Some of them are very sensitive to ammo and will jam constantly..

15. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Ruger makes one also, it takes the 10-22 rotary magazines so there are all kinds of hi cap mags out there.

16. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Saw a piece in SGN News about this, and I also see Ads for the "Slide Fire" conversion there & other places. Wonder how well these things work...

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

It will cycle fine with any .22 LR ammo , the only problems you will have is running subsonic ammo ,unless you run a suppressor then it would provide enough back pressure to cycle those properly . My buddy and I have CMMG conversion kits and they will eat everything including bulk .22lr

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Walmart in this area has stainless 10/22 for $250. Get an archangel stock for it and you will forget you ever had an AR15, especially when ammo prices return to normal. Hell I bought an AR15 and 2,000 federal soft points for it. I still have 1,000 rounds of 5.56 ammo left 3 years later..

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  19. 408garrett

408garrett New Member

Fiiiiinally got a CMMG conversion kit. Been having so much fun with it the last few days. Luckily I bought a black dog magazine to go with it because the one issue I had was that the mag that came with it would not fit in either of my LMT mag wells. I contacted CMMG customer support and they were aware of the problem and had discontinued production of those mags. I did however let them know I had used the other mag and it was flawless. I fired close to 200 rounds the first day with zero malfunctions. I was amazed myself. I totally recommend them to anyone!

20. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Early CMMG magazines had over sized lugs molded into the magazine bodies that were meant to be filed/sanded down in order to custom fit them to your particular magazine well. It helped to prevent the magazines from rocking back and forth in a receiver with a slightly over sized mag well. A loose fit causes the feed angle to change and causes jams.

CMMG has an advantage with their BHOA "bolt hold open adapter" (optional) that allows the gun to function exactly like a .223/5.56 rifle. The bolt locks open (fully) after the last round is fired. You can drop the empty magazine and the bolt won't close. Insert a full magazine and hit the bolt catch lever to close the bolt. No need to chamber the first round with the charging handle. They also have a forward assist adapter available that allows the forward assist to function normally also.

I have an (awesome) dedicated CMMG upper rather than a conversion, but I also have an original Colt conversion unit that came with a new Colt AR-15 A2 H-BAR that I bought years ago. The conversion kit is still in the original packaging because it's a collectable now. Colt stopped producing them a long time ago.

[​IMG]