.22lr bolt action shopping

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by racingfanatic, Jan 23, 2012.

1. racingfanatic

racingfanatic New Member

Hey all im in the market for a .22lr bolt action. I dont want another semi auto (i have a 597) im pretty much sold on buying new unless i stumble on a deal no single shot and would love a wood stock. Right now at the top of the list are the savage mark II or the marlin xt-22 i havent seen any bad reviews on either i can get either locally for 180 was wondering if anyone had either or another .22 they would reccommend

2. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Check out CZ-USA. The CZ-452 is a nice rifle. There are still a few new ones on shelves. The CZ-452 has been replaced by the CZ-455, though I heard that the CZ-452 is still being made for lefties.

3. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

CZ makes a great rifle, but kinda pricey. I like Marlin and Savage too.

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

marlin does good bolt .22s, at least used to.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I know you prefer wood. The Savage plastic stocks have too much drop at the heel to work properly with a scope. You can get a nice wood stock at Boyds fairly reasonably. I like the ones with the threaded muzzle like the FV-SR. I keep thinking how nicely a suppressor would fit on the 16.5" barrel.

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Ruger 77/22. Kind of pricey but a very fine rifle.

7. historydoc

historydoc New Member

CZ 452, 453, or 455; check out budsgunshop.com and read some reviews on the Internet. I like marlins and savages for other things but cz .22 bolt guns are just fantastic. Also check out the cz forum on rimfire central for great info.

8. opaww

opaww New Member

I got a Savage Mark II BV and love it

9. racingfanatic

racingfanatic New Member

i think the ruger and cz might be a little outside my price range I can get the marlin and savage for around 180. I would like to try and stay down around that range if at all possibe did find some new cz's still on the shelf locally if anyone is looking i can post a link

10. kaido

kaido New Member

I bought my girlfriend an XT-22R which is the synthetic version. It's actually a really great rifle, has a really smooth bolt and doesn't take a lot of effort to work it, even right out of the box.

The trigger is great too, doesn't have much creep at all. It's also got an adjustable pull, pretty sure it comes with a 4lb pull out of the box, if not that then its 3lbs.

As far as accuracy goes, I'm a new shooter and had a really bad scope on it and I was about to get four shots with in an inch at 25yards.

All-in-all, it's a great little rifle.

11. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

I like the savage with the acutrigger. Best bang for the buck IMHO.
    F.K.

12. historydoc

historydoc New Member

In that price range I don't think he can get the accutrigger. If you can find a Savage with an accutrigger for $180 that is a pretty good price. If the choice is between a non-accutrigger Savage and a Marlin I'd go with the Marlin. Read some reviews though.

13. racingfanatic

racingfanatic New Member

14. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

The Marlin XT series has the Marlin version of an adjustable accutrigger :D
    Also has a heavy barrel target version...still inexpensive!

Plus...Boyd's carries several laminate stocks for the Marlin 800-900 series that also fit the XT with a little material taken out for the trigger assembly.

15. kaido

kaido New Member

....not trying to track you down on every XT related thread Shrek, but figured I'd say I here to as well. Haha

I'm not to sure that a heavy target barrel would be needed to get tighter groups at all. The standard one seems to hold up fairly well under large amounts of rounds being sent down range fairly quick.

16. snipe1083

snipe1083 New Member

If you buy used i would like to recomend the marlin 25n. You can purchase one used for under 150.00 and shoot live .22 rounds at 25 yards consistancy with a cheap scope. The trigger can be tuned to about 2lbs using only a pen spring found at wallmart.

17. racingfanatic

racingfanatic New Member

I am fine with buying used if can get a good deal the local used racks have been rather dry lately unfortuntly

18. jco69

jco69 New Member

I have a Mossberg 802 with a 3x9x40 scope with flip up covers, barrel mount bipod, and a sling for sale $150 OBO[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  19. racingfanatic

racingfanatic New Member

I think i am going to go with savage but that is nice looking mossy you have there any reason your selling

20. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

I have a Savage Mark 2F and it is a great weapon. Even without the accutrigger, it has a very crisp, and light trigger pull. It also is dead accurate with a little 4x32 bushnell scope, and its still pretty accurate with iron sights. My only complaint is the iron sights are small, and black on black, so somewhat hard to see during sunsets, and especially after the sun goes down. I'm pretty sure you could buy a simple aftermarket front sight fairly cheaply though, just so you can have some contrast. Also, the mags are sort of a small banana mags, so until you put 500-1000 rounds through it those will give you problems. Once you break it in however it becomes an incredibly smooth, lihht