.22LR AR-15s

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by kjbcruz12, Mar 12, 2013.

1. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

What's a good brand to look for? Can you mod them as easy as 5.56-.223 AR's? What are some sites for parts and such? Just looking for some good info on them before I get one. Thanks!

2. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

3. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

I'm just Hoping I can mod one as easy as you can with a 5.56 AR

4. mchoitz

mchoitz New Member

Watch out, there is junk out there. I think it is mossberg that makes a .22 ar and its worthless. Plastic charging handle, plastic rails, nonchangable pistol grip, and I'm surprised that the bolt is cheap aluminum and not plastic. So my recommendation is not to buy online or order one, try to find a store that has it in stock so you can get a feel of it.

5. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

What about the S&W m&p .22?

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The S&W M&P 15-22 is an excellent choice. Controls and break down is the same as the AR. My wife loves hers.

7. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

How about quality tho? Charging handle metal? Does it have. Forward assist? What's the main differences between that and a real ar?

8. mchoitz

mchoitz New Member

I don't think any .22 ar will have a functioning forward assist because the bolt is usually different.

9. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

It's a great gun. Have one and love it. But no, it does not have a forward assist. The bolt is entirely different.

The charging handle is similar to what you'll find on any entry level AR.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  10. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

Any ideas of where I could get some decent parts/upgrades for a .22lr ar?

11. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

One thing to consider is a 22lr upper for an existing 5.56 AR. they usually are easy to add rails and the like. the down side they are same, as and sometimes more, $$ than one of the current dedicated 22lr's.

As stated above, go to a LGS or gun show and handle a few different manufacturer's dedicated 22lr's.

I have a colt M4ops by Umarex, it came with rails that had the round covers. I pulled the front sight post and put on a picatinny gas block that still had the bayonet lugs. now i can add flip up front sights, same with back, use a scope, clip a laser or light to the side rails, have a T handle for the front, or a bipod for the bayonet lug or picatinny bottom. it is mostly metal like an 5.56 and a blast to shoot in the field

now all of that said, it has its own peculiarities and they may not be for you. I bought it because i saw it on the display, picked it up and liked the heft and feel of it. the barrel is a tube in a shroud, the inards are nothing like a true AR, the magazines (30rd) are too tall for a shooting bench without at least a 6" block or sandbags, the collapsible stock feels light to me. the original front sight was too short and was replaced by RMA, and the front post was canted by a degree or two. the rifle will not load the older REM GOLD or Blazer rounds but it loves federal bulk.

Ok I guess i made my point. but, like stated, handle them and see what others are describing.

as for parts.... any bolt on AR part should fit a 22lr-AR

12. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

Awesome! Thanks alot. I think you just helped me make up my mind. I found this http://www.armslist.com/posts/95984...---colt-ar15-m4-22lr-nib-hi-capacity-magazine but may look into an umarex now. Does it has a dust cover like the colt does? I was in the military so I want it to look as close to a real m4 as possible. I would get a real AR but don't feel like paying for the 5.56/.223 rounds when I can get .22lr rounds so much cheaper. Can I see some pictures of yours?

13. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I highly recommend S&W M&P 15-22.

Attached Files:

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

IIRC, the forward assist and bolt release on the Colt are non-functional. They just look pretty.

15. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

Where did you get all your parts at?

16. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Barrel Shroud by Kineti-Tech.com
    Tapco Intrafuse Vertical Short Grip
    Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 w/ UTG Medium Profile Riser Mount
    Speed Bolt Release by ndzperformance.com
    Magpul MBUS Rear Gen2
    Magpul MOE Grip
    Magpul CTR w/ Enhanced Rubber Butt-Pad .70"
    GRIPP MagTab from ndzperformance.com

17. jack80

jack80 New Member

Got an M&P 15-22 for $430. Nice gun, quad rail so you can add as many gadgets as you wants.
    I swap accessories between it and my 5.56 to try different configurations

image-2420924235.jpg

18. dan01

dan01 New Member

Curly_ Joe 99...Where did you get the pitcanny gas block that you replaced your front sight with and how much did it cost?

I have the Umarex Colt C 4 and the S&W M&P 15 22 and love both, however I favor the Colt 10k+ rounds with no malfunctions......The Colt is a bit more accurate than the 15 22 from the bench form 25 to 100 yards.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  19. drtybrd97

drtybrd97 New Member

Check out the H&K 416D. Made by Umarex also. Mainly aluminum everything. Feels close to the same weight as a regular AR. Trouble is finding one oh and they cost quite a but more than the M&P. Picked one up and fell in love. If I could only afford one :-(

20. dan01

dan01 New Member

The HK 416d and Colt C 4 by Walther from Umarex are the same firearm except for minor cosmetic differences.......My Colt was actually a bit cheaper than the 15 22 a year ago.....15 22s are being price gouged now so I wouldn't touch one ( mags are all but nonexistent)

Don't be influenced by the hype on each of these firearms...They are all fine and quality...They are not accurate copies of the military types...Each was designed as dedicated 22 cal rifles from the get go......

Have fun with what ever brand you buy and don't regret not having bought one of the others.......They all have good and bad points...Just look at the good points of the one you have.

The only bad thing about all of them is now finding reasonably priced ammo..