.22lr alternative?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by lowceiling5611, Jan 6, 2014.

1. lowceiling5611

lowceiling5611 New Member

With .22lr being absent from shelves in my area for a very long time now, I'm looking for something similar that will fill the same shoes (plinking/practice, small game, relatively quiet, and inexpensive to shoot...although .22lr isn't so cheap anymore if you're lucky enough to find it).

.17HMR is the same as .22lr around here, relatively non-existent.

Should I just buy a nice air rifle / pellet gun :confused:

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Everybody should have at least one bb/pellet gun. I have 4. 2 rifles and 2 pistols. 17HMR is everywhere around here. But it is considerably more expensive than 22lr. I reload all my pistol calibers cheaper than quality 22lr ammo anyway. Do you reload?

3. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Ive had a single pump pellet rifle for years allows me to hunt quietly in town and still put small game down effectivly. Plus pellets are cheaper then 22 ammo right now.

4. lowceiling5611

Unfortunately not. I wish I had the time and space too...

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I shoot cast bullets in a .22 Hornet rifle. The same cast bullets sized to .223 shoot great in my S&W Mdl. 53 .22 CF Magnum AKA .22 Jet. These two rounds can cover the .22 Mag and .22 LR at very low cost. :)

6. gunny91

gunny91 New Member

Now days especially if u cast ur own bullets reloading is better and cheaper

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Firearms Talk mobile app

7. string1946

string1946 New Member

Go ahead and pick up a pellet gun of some kind. They are dirt cheap to shoot and good pratice. I have a couple of rifles and a pistol. I keep one of the rifles at our place in N.C. to thin out the chipmonk population. I can and do shoot the pistol in the basement and have shot the rifles down there. Get a good one and stay away from that chinese junk. Look around at www.pyramydair.com. They have good prices and some of everything out there.

8. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Get yourself one of the 1200 - 1400 fps barrel break pellet guns. You can get one for less than $150.00 with a scope included. Shoot lead pellets which are subsonic in the 1200 fps rifles and pack a pretty good wallop out to about 50 yards.

9. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I got a gamo varmint hunter hp, 1400 fps with pba ammo, 1200 with lead, pretty accurate and powerful, cheap to shoot and pellets are plentiful, paid less than $150 for it

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

Attached Files:

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I gave up air rifles when I was 12 years old. There is just something about the smell of gun powder. ;)

11. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I love gun powder, but I live in the middle of nowhere on a hundred acres and if I shot my real guns as much as I wanted to, I would be broke even if I reloaded lol so I shoot my pellet rifle and I still have a Red Ryder that I shoot the Hell out of as well, also am big into archery so that definitely helps things as well.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

12. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I don't see enough reason to give up on 22. Unless you just want a different caliber. This ammo blues gets you in the winter. Internet vendors are stocked. To answer your question straight - no, there is no true alternative in retail.

13. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

I enjoy my Air Rifles.

I dont consider them to be "instead of", but "in addition" to everything else I have. Just another gun to shoot.
    Deadly accurate out to 50 yrds, and deadly also.

Wabbits have been taken out to 49yrds ,1 shot ,1 kill.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jim

14. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

When you were 12? Air rifles existed back then?:confused: Never mind......I forgot! You came out here with Lewis and Clark.;)

15. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Just came back from a gun show. OP: 22LR is abundant. Not necessarily the exact kind you want, not like before the panic, but solid 40 gr are all over the place. About $7 a box of 50 give or take.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

when my father started reloading in the1960's, we lived in a small apartment in Houston Texas. he reloaded on the coffee table and the kitchen table. he made a stand for the press, and when he was finished reloading he put everything into the hall closet.

when i reloaded, i started out in the closet in my office. i took the doors off and made a bench that fit into the closet with some shelf on the side to hold things.

check out this thread for some ideas as to how some people get around space issues.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/reloading-bench-photos-48711/

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

BB/pellet guns. Daisy and Crosman both make some good ones

dirt cheap.

18. lowceiling5611

You guys are pretty lucky. I haven't seen .22 in almost a year on the shelves...and my wife works at a sporting goods store that sells tons of ammo. What little they get in is gone most of the time before it leaves the boxes to get on the shelves.

I haven't really given up on .22....but it keeps me from buying anything in that caliber. I guess the days of it being the ammo that EVERYWHERE has in stock and the CHEAPEST to shoot are over. I will probably just pick up a pellet gun for the time being....at least I know I will be able to shoot it. Right now, in my area, a .22 is nothing more than a fancy baseball bat/doorstop.

I have other guns to shoot...so it's not like this is life or death. But I'm just looking for something quieter, and easier on the wallet to go plinking with that still serves another purpose (small game).

19. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Go to 17hmr!!! Cabelas has an easy 10000rds on the floor. No ones buying it around here. Better for me :-D

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Firearms Talk mobile app

20. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

22 Ammo of any kind is like hunting the Satchquatch in my area. Ya hear about them. You know they exist. You go to area of sighting, but it's nowhere to be found.
    Sure I can drive 75-100 miles and pick up some over-priced, cheap a$$ rounds that go BANG, and groups about as good as a Turkey Platter. Not worth it

I do have a few thousand rounds of boxed/bulk pack 22LR for emergency, but all my Rifle's shoot/group the best with CCI MiniMag 40gr, and that's what I'm looking for as I'm down to only about a hundred rounds.

Me, I have recently gone to stocking up on 17HMR Hornady 20gr. which has become plentiful for when Spring Huntin comes. Good accuracy, still holding fair price for even fun plinking, great killing power like a magnum, and distance shooting that makes 22LR look like a low-powered BB gun. Squirrels/Rabbits/Ground Hogs/Crows think they're safe at 75yds or more are dead wrong.