22lr, 22mag

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by woodardg, Feb 19, 2014.

1. woodardg

woodardg New Member

what is range defance be 22lr and 22mag

can you fire 22lr out of 22mag gun ?

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I do not know the ballistic differences between .22lr & .22wmr(mag.).

You CANNOT SHOOT .22lr from a .22 wmr firearm.

There are ballistics charts available all over the internet, put in a little effort.

I stand corrected, you should not attempt to shoot .22lr from a .22wmr firearm, unless it is an emergency.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

22 lr can be fired from some 22 mag guns. Many revolvers will come with a 22 mag and 22 lr cylinder. You absolutely cannot shoot 22 mag in a 22 lr gun. 22 mag is much more powerful.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The 22 mag has a slightly tapered case that makes it bigger at the rear. .22 LR cases will rupture in the larger chamber. Guns that are convertible are usually revolvers that have cylinders made for each round, that can be swapped out.

.22 Rimfire rounds may not be the best for defense, because of the ignition system of rimfire rounds which can be less reliable than center fire guns.

5. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Do not shoot .22lr from a .22 wmr firearm.

I have a .22lr/.22wmr convertible revolver and there are two separate cylinders. Each cylinder is clearly marked for the appropriate caliber. The barrel diameter is the same, but the case dimensions are different.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For most rifles, I consider 22 LR to be a 50 yard cartridge, 22 magnum a 100 yard cartridge. Yes, they both will shoot MUCH further- I am speaking of match accuracy.

As said, there are two cylinder revolvers that can switch from one to another. With that exception- NO- you cannot interchange ammo. The magnum is not only more powerful, but has a longer, larger diameter case. The LR uses a "heel seated" bullet- the cartridge case and bullet are same diameter. 22 mag, bullet fits inside cartridge case. Case is larger outside diameter than bullet. On firing, a LR cartridge in a magnum chamber will usually split the case. Unsafe, accuracy will suck.

Not suggested you ever try this, unless you are treed by zombies, and have only a 22 mag rifle and a pocket full of 22 LR ammo.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I prefer the 22 wmr for hunting because it will shoot a 40 gr bullet 100 yards without much holdover if any, with enough velocity to buck the wind. I usually sight in a 22 wmr at 80 to 100 yards. I sight in a 22 LR at 50 yards. Another thing I like about the 22 wmr is you can get a pointed soft point bullet for it. The PSP doesn't really expand on squirrels or small rabbits. But if you shoot a fox, coyote or a large rabbit the PSP will mushroom nicely.

8. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

You can fire .22WRF ammo in a .22Mag though I have a 22Mag High Standard derringer and find the WRF's to be a good midrange load for it. Sorta like shooting 38's in a 357. However the cost is higher than LR and lower than Mag's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Winchester_Rimfire

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yep. .22 Winchester Rimfire (WRF) is pretty scarce in most areas- but it is basically a .22 mag Short. Usually has a lead bullet, where .22 mag has a jacketed bullet.

But .22 WRF and .22 LR are different beasts- don't try to interchange them either.

Just for what it's worth- the .22 rounds that I can think of- 22 BB cap, 22 CB cap, 22 Short, 22 Long, 22 Long Rifle, 22 Stinger, 22 Extra Long, 22 WRF, 22 WRM, 22 Winchester Auto, 22 Remington Auto, 22 Special, and .22 ILARCO (a short magnum for machine guns) You can actually build a nice cartridge collection of nothing but 22s- throw in a few shot rounds, a spitzer, a wadcutter, tracer, plastic bullet, blanks, teargas, paint markers etc.

But the important thing- only a few of these can interchange.

10. woodardg

woodardg New Member

think you for all you replies