Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by bowhunter17, Mar 12, 2013.

1. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

How will .223 perform on deer?

2. ajhaag19

ajhaag19 New Member

I used an ar a few years back It did the job. But you need the right hit though. Especially for a good size buck
    I used a Hornady 75 grain boat tail hollow point for my rounds
    Came out with a doe and a decent 8 pointer

3. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I use 65gr sierra gameking bullets in my handloads and killing deer isnt a problem provided you do your part and make a good shot.

4. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

I heard that some poachers use .22lr on deer because it is quiet. Can .22lr really kill a deer if it gets hit directly in the heart?

5. mchoitz

mchoitz New Member

Ya, they don't care about an ethical shot. Shoot till it dies or chase it tell it does. I've seen them do that

6. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

That's horrible.

7. mchoitz

mchoitz New Member

Have also seen a snare that a doe got caught up in and twisted her leg off then died a couple feet away. Not a coyote because she left tracks. I have an idea who it was but can't accuse until catching them red handed.

8. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've read a 60 grain softpoint works good, or an all copper bullet. I haven't used a .223 on deer myself. The key is penetration when using a small caliber on larger game. Imo, borrow or buy a larger caliber if at all possible.

9. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

You should set up some trail cams to catch them in the act.

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I am not the most experienced hunter, but I think it is very important for us to be ethical hunters. If you are not confident you can get a clean consistent kill with a 223, then get something you can be confident in.