223 Wolf Ammo

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by raiderman74, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raiderman74

raiderman74 New Member

I'm a newbie to shooting and I'm hooked. I just complete my first AR with Delton M4 upper and TM lower. I used PSA lower kit . Will there be an issue using this ammo in my AR?

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Can't be sure now. You'll have to buy a small amount and try it out.

3. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Buy a box and run it through it. If you like the way it runs and cleans afterward you can buy a larger amount then. The black box Wolf is produced in a different factory than the Wolf Military classic. I think the Military classic is a better round, not as dirty and seems more consistent. That said, I'm trying to use up all the cheap stuff I've bought over the years and replacing with brass cased ammo when it is on sale.

4. Fixer

Fixer New Member

DTi has an oversized gas port on most carbine barrels. Some people say thats "overgassed",.... some people say its correctly gasses for all types of ammo. The mil-spec gas port has issues with cheap ammo, low power ammo. Most commercial barrel manufacturers adjust the size to account for civilian ammo. DTi is one of them.

5. okdonk

okdonk New Member

My DD eats Wolf but spits Tula. Dont know why ;(. Since they are both cheap & Russian made.
    Yes, buy 1-3 boxes to try them out. A box of Wolf only costs around $5 or less. A reminder, those ammo are dirtier tho.

6. 70cuda383

70cuda383 Member

Twice, I've had the bolt skip over the top of the round and fail to feed while using the steel case russian ammo. a quick re-rack of the charging handle and it was running again.

only ever happened with cheap russian steel case ammo. and that's twice out of maybe 500 rounds used.

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Sometimes this is due to a problem with the magazine, or combination of steel case and an imperfect mag. I have not had any FTF's with P Mag magazines.

When loading mags with Tula, it seems to me the cartridges are slightly harder to seat than Wolf or brass, maybe this also works in reverse when feeding.

Not trying to diagnose what happened in your quote above, just making sure the OP is aware.

8. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

You've got a brand new setup that hasn't been really tested or broken in.

Any issues you might run into by running the Wolf/Tula type ammo I'd put off until you have several hundred rounds of good, brass cased ammo to verify proper operation.

I my mind I'd rather be sure my rifle is operating correctly with good ammo before having to troubleshoot a problem that might just be related to a lesser quality ammo.

9. 70cuda383

70cuda383 Member

fair enough. they were the "standard issue" type 30 round mags. not the plastic P-mags.

and I've had a BUNCH of ammo through the mags and my 20" AR with no problems whatsoever. switch to the steel case and 2 fail to feed in 500 or less rounds.

10. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I LOVE CHEAP *** AMMUNTION!!!!

My ARs come from well respected companies that produce milspec rifles. They run great and have. In thousands of rounds there's been 1 short stroke (heavy buffer) and 2 hard primers. I also rarely clean my ARs. Run fast, hard, and put away wet.

Rarely have I seen and issue related to the ammunition. It's usually an out of spec chamber, bad mag, or out of tune buffer system.

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If it soesn't run with Wolf, there's wrong with the gun.

12. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

My delton has shot everything.

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Both my PSAs and my spikes runs wolf , tula or what ever else you can shove in it . No issues here :) and at less than $5 a box its pretty hard to beat , If my guns wont run it I know I have a gun problem , out of spec chamber, mag prob, too heavy buffer , is usually the first 3 that come to mind . If they wont run it I will move it on and get something else that will

14. Fixer

Fixer New Member

wolf quality ammo.. well I guess...really Ok. I'll check into that.

so you think and internal striker and an external hammer/transfer system is the same...:rolleyes:

The point I was making is this. You get the result you are looking for when you want to prove you are correct.

I bet you are a great shooter... I could teach you a thing or two about science and machinery.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh9JhCyFFxA&feature=relmfu[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsewsolPyBU[/ame]

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

How about physics? Forget about internal striker vs. external hammer, it stands to reason that a 38oz 5906 might cycle better limp wristed than a 21oz G17. And what does this have to do with steel case ammo anyway?

16. Fixer

Fixer New Member

dwell. case expansion and contraction are factors in dwell. add some heat..even the slight cooling difference between waiting one second between shots and dumping a magazine... it matters alot.

17. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

It matters for who? Non issue in my experience even in classes. I was in a class Sat morning. I brought out the 16" midlenght this time. Even the 14.5" midlengths run smooth as silk. Waiting 5 sec b/w rounds or less than a sec. Mag dumps, double taps, controlled pairs, whatever. Maybe I've been extremely lucky.

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Is that a reply to my post? I thought you were talking physics and inertia.

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Meant to ask earlier, what's the problem with Tula? Stuck cases?

20. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

Just bought 500 rds both of my AR eat them but my mini chokes on them. Go figure

so that others may live

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.