223 vs a 270WSM

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by bessemerbob, Mar 17, 2009.

1. bessemerbob

bessemerbob New Member

Well I come to the group today with a question. I currently have a savage 270WSM that dose not have accu trigger. I no longer hunt game, but hit the range around once a week. I was thinking of gunning down to a 223 but am not sure if I should be spending the money. Should I try to trade in the 270 and most likely get around 100 for it, keep it and buy a 223, or would the 100rnds or so I shoot a year make it not worth going to the 223 at this time.

2. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

I'm not sure I understand your question. You had me until it came to the hundred rounds statement. You say you shoot once a week with the .270 but 100 rounds a year?

IMHO, No way sell the .270 for $100, keep it for that kind of money. If range time per dollar is the issue, buy a quality .22 LR and shoot 100 rounds a week. A .223 will save some money on ammo, (if you can find it), and is a nice paper round, but like I said I'm still unclear as to exactly the problem or issue.

Oh yeah, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

If your re only going to get $100 for the 270 I say keep it. The 223 can be cheap to shoot if you can find ammo that is cheap that is a hard thing to do right now. Everyone is in the BO induced buying frenzy.

If all you want to do is plink at the range get yourself a 22lr and have at it. you can get a Ruger 10/22 for about $200 and ammo is dirt cheap $12 for 550 rounds of ammo. I try to burn up 550 rounds of 22lr ammo each time I go to the range that way I can rotate my stock of 15,000 or so rounds.

4. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

If the Dems get there way an "evil black gun" chambered in .223 Rem. or .204 Ruger may turn-out to become a very wise investment. Otherwise get the .22LR. Just one guy's opinion.

5. bessemerbob

bessemerbob New Member

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Well some good news, local shop will give me between $200-$250 on a trade. and the second was ment to say around 100rnds per month.... thanks

6. bessemerbob

bessemerbob New Member

Oh one major area I left out is distance. The range I belong to is up to 300yrds, and they have a non MAG comp once a month. So I was looking at the 223 for shooting up to 300yrds, and getting in the non Mag comp....