Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As told by a vendor today there's is a size difference in the two, being in the infantry I was in the thought that they were the same . One for miIitary. One for civilian use. Is there truth to this or was he pushing me to buy a higher priced rifle?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,523 Posts
You never came across this basic information before in the military?

You should always buy 5.56x45mm for general use. Then you can shoot both 5.56x45mm and .223Rem. The .223Rem rifle is used primarily as a match weapon and cannot handle the higher pressure of the 5.56x45mm round.

There are a million threads on FTF answering this question. Perhaps BING?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard it's ok to shoot but groups will be off and will mess up barrell that 223 rounds will not fire right after, also heard there's no difference ones loaded hotter but older 223 was older just the so it's good to go
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I am looking to buy a California legal AK47 but don't want a wasr 10 romaining with canter sites or mag wabbel this is the catch I don't want to spend more then 700. Any suggestions?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
dirtysancho said:
I've heard it's ok to shoot but groups will be off and will mess up barrell that 223 rounds will not fire right after, also heard there's no difference ones loaded hotter but older 223 was older just the so it's good to go
Its pressure diff between the 2 rounds, an 223 wont fire right after??? Thats bs, dont buy it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,202 Posts
I thought there was a small difference in case size? That a 5.56 out of a .223 caused issues?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
kytowboater said:
I thought there was a small difference in case size? That a 5.56 out of a .223 caused issues?
The case diff is so slight it is still within the 223 case length spec but the chamber pressure is higher with the 5.56 than it is with the 223. The higher pressure is what can cause probs, that is if it ever does cause a prob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,456 Posts
As told by a vendor today there's is a size difference in the two, being in the infantry I was in the thought that they were the same . One for miIitary. One for civilian use. Is there truth to this or was he pushing me to buy a higher priced rifle?
There is not a nickels of difference between the two, call Lake City & ask em. I have a buddy who works there & he said they are both made on the same line...............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
A 5.56 rifle has a longer throat than a 223 rifle. The shoulder of the 5.56 case is at a different angle and will seal in a 5.56 barrel better. The 5.56 is loaded hotter and may or may not have a smaller inside diamiter because of more material in the case (hotter load).

You do not want to use 5.56 in a 223 rifle, you will burn the barrel out.

Jim
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
bigjim said:
A 5.56 rifle has a longer throat than a 223 rifle. The shoulder of the 5.56 case is at a different angle and will seal in a 5.56 barrel better. The 5.56 is loaded hotter and may or may not have a smaller inside diamiter because of more material in the case (hotter load).

You do not want to use 5.56 in a 223 rifle, you will burn the barrel out.

Jim
You will not burn the barrel out either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,647 Posts
You do not want to use 5.56 in a 223 rifle, you will burn the barrel out.

Jim
Where the hell did you here this? That is total BS.

It's a fact that most 5.56 loads have higher chamber pressures than a 223 load,but that will not cause your barrel to burn out the throat any faster.
Besides,it takes thousands of rounds out of a 223/5.56 caliber barrel before it will erode the throat enough to need a new barrel,and most people don't shoot their guns that much.

I've been shooting 5.56/223's for over 30yrs,and have never seen a 223 caliber rifle damaged from shooting a 5.56 x 45 round.
Now I will say if your 223 has a tight chamber,I'd probably try not to shoot 5.56 rounds thru it,as the higher pressures can cause damage to the bolt head,extractors,etc or cause the bolt to be hard to open.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
Txhillbilly said:
Where the hell did you here this? That is total BS.

It's a fact that most 5.56 loads have higher chamber pressures than a 223 load,but that will not cause your barrel to burn out the throat any faster.
Besides,it takes thousands of rounds out of a 223/5.56 caliber barrel before it will erode the throat enough to need a new barrel,and most people don't shoot their guns that much.

I've been shooting 5.56/223's for over 30yrs,and have never seen a 223 caliber rifle damaged from shooting a 5.56 x 45 round.
Now I will say if your 223 has a tight chamber,I'd probably try not to shoot 5.56 rounds thru it,as the higher pressures can cause damage to the bolt head,extractors,etc or cause the bolt to be hard to open.
Thank you, i have tried to say this 3 times now, what a damn mess of mis info here, the 5.56 will not hurt a damn thing in a 223 ,or vise versa. This has been debated over an over an over till the cows come home. The pressure diff between the 2 is not enough to hurt any damn thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info guys I'm calling BS on the vendor in that he wanted to make an extra buck, went to another store found one with a heavy barrel , DPMS AR-15
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
dirtysancho said:
Thanks for the info guys I'm calling BS on the vendor in that he wanted to make an extra buck, went to another store found one with a heavy barrel , DPMS AR-15
Yes thats all he wanted, why sell you cheaper mil spec when he can get ya for premi ammo cost
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
You won't burn the barrel out. But the pressure difference can exceed 50,000 CUPs or 20,000 CUPs over a .223 Remington. The pressure is taken from the side of the 5.56 Ctg. The chamber wall pressure is a concern due to the reduced inside deminsions of the 5.56. Shooting a 5.56 in a tight bolt action rifle with a .223 chamber can damage extractors.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,456 Posts
According to the official Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives (C.I.P.) guidelines the .223 Remington case can handle up to 430 megapascals (62,366 psi) piezo pressure. In C.I.P. regulated countries every rifle cartridge combo has to be proofed at 125% of this maximum C.I.P. pressure to certify for sale to consumers. This is equal to the NATO maximum service pressure guideline for the 5.56x45mm NATO cartridge.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,891 Posts
What 303tom said.

There is a difference in the length of the freebore (leade). i've been shooting milsurp ammo in .223 chambers since 1968 when i had a .222 Sako re-chambered for .223. Since then i've fired hundreds of thousands of military rounds in my .223 rifles.

The problem comes when handloaders use long for caliber heavy bullets in .223 chambers. If they are not careful about OAL pressure will go up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
To add to this thread,
The 5.56 Nato is design for more tolerance for the many different military rifles around the world that chamber it. vs The .223 rem is a sporting cartridge was design truly with the 55 grain bullet in mind to project light weight bullet as fast as it can at less pressure then that of it counter parts at the time of the early days of the AR-15 civilian and M-16, M-16A1 rifles. That round was not yet the NATO round of chose that still preferred the heavier 308 NATO.
The skinny of it is the .223 Remington and 5.56x45mm differ in both maximum pressure and chamber shape. The maximum and mean pressures for some varieties of the 5.56 mm (different cartridge designations have different standards) exceed the SAAMI maximums for the .223 Remington, and the methods for measuring pressures differ between NATO and SAAMI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,928 Posts
Thanks for the info guys I'm calling BS on the vendor in that he wanted to make an extra buck, went to another store found one with a heavy barrel , DPMS AR-15
My last one was a DPMS - I doubt you'll be dissapointed :)
Bet your buttcakes its marked 223/5.56
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top