223 varmit gun

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by npink, Feb 13, 2012.

1. npink

npink New Member

What should I get I want a bolt gun in 223 with a heavy barrel let me no what you guys think

2. skeniger2002

skeniger2002 New Member

How much you willing to spend

3. npink

npink New Member

For a gun 500 to 700 range and not shure on a optic yet etheir

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Savage 10 or 12 series
    Tikka
    CZ-USA
    Remington 700
    Howa
    All make great shooting rifles with heavy varmint barrels,but you need to decide what weight of bullets that you intend to shoot.Some models only come in 1-12 Twist that will limit you to lighter weight bullets,others offer 1-7,1-8,or 1-9 twist that will allow you to shoot the heavier bullets. A 1-9 twist will be a good all around twist rate for a 223.

5. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Yeah what tex said...

I have a Stevens 200 with a 1:9. I have only shot 55gr bullets, but the 1:9 twist is good for 50gr - 69gr. Anything heavier will need a faster twist to stabilize.

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Savage makes a bolt action .223 that I hear is pretty good. It is the Savage Axis. I don't think it has a heavy barrel on it, but you can't beat $300-$400 for a NIB gun.

I am also a big fan of the Remington Model 700. :D

7. richief

richief New Member

I just got a used rem 700 vssf II in .223, shoots real good, came with vari x III 6.5-20x40 for 9 bills. I buy used for the savings, and most people don't shoot as much as I do. LOL

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Savage does make a good rifle, but I am partial to CZ. The 527 line was designed around the smaller cartridge. The bolt is 1/2 the weight of a standard '98. 1:9 twist, heavy barrel. Very accurate.

527 Micro Mauser bolt on top, standard '98 on bottom. Really reduces the rifles weight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if you are not dead set on 223, Marlin has the XS7VH in 22-250 with the 26" heavy barrel for less than $400 for the rifle. IMO, i like the 223, but i like the extra MV of the 22-250 better, it travels about 200-400 FPS faster with the same weight bullet, depending on powder. for premium factory loaded ammo, the 22-250 is just a tad higher than premium factory 223 ammo. the Marlin XS7VH is a very accurate rifle and i have one in 308. it might be something to consider when deciding to buy. all of the others suggested by the other members are good choices, and i too will lean towards a used Remington M700, and have bought several used myself. the biggest problem i see with a used M700, is finding one with a heavy barrel sitting for sale in a store. if you haven't decided on a scope, check out the Swift Premier line of scopes, good optics at a decent price.

10. npink

npink New Member

I am liking the cz a lot what kind of groups are you getting at long ranges

11. cottontop

cottontop Guest

If you wanted to go w/ anything heavier than 69 grains on a regular basis, you would probably be better off w/ one of the 6mms.
    cottontop

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought my grandson a Savage 10 package in 223. Came with a 3-9x40 scope for under $500 otd in the PRK. 1st time out he was shooting sub moa @100 yards with some 55 grn hand loads I threw together. This was with a light barrel. I have a CZ 527 sporter weight with a 1:12 twist. Iwish it was 1:9. It will shoot clover leafs (.5 moa) at 100 yards with 45 grn bullets. The CZ rifles are very good and have a set trigger. Push the trigger forward to set it and dont touch it until you are ready to fire. I blew quite a few shots before I learned. You can shoot without setting it.

13. Capybara

Capybara New Member

I just bought a CZ 527 Varmint yesterday. This rifle seems to have something that the Remington, Savage and Howa lack, the reputation, craftsmanship and the mini Mauser action. I won't have the rifle for 10 days but I did months of research, interviews, reading reviews and articles and the CZ is dead on reliable, accurate and well made.

Remington, ever since they were acquired by Cerebrus, has gone way downhill IMHO. Savage, while a good rifle, always seemed a bit cheaply made to me and the Howa action is good but I am not crazy about the reviews that they get. I don't think you will go far wrong with any of them, they are all solid but the little touches and reputation that the CZ has made up my mind.

Dan

14. jpattersonnh

I rarely shoot paper targets. I hunt or shoot reactive targets. With cheap Mil-spec 55gr FMJ I shoot Soda cans at 200 yards offhand. My 11 year old was shooting 1qt oil containers at 200 off the bipod last time we went out. Took a head shot at a grey squirrel on the edge of the woods at just over 200 yards off the bipod last fall. Hit that little noggin dead center w/ a Hornady 55gr Vmax, a 2" target using the single set trigger. It was a slow woodchuck day, only 2 came out, so only 2 on the day.

Now I had 1 issue w/ the rifle when I bought it. It was hard to chamber a round from the mag. Not really hard, but rough. CZ told me to put 100 rounds through it and if I had issues they would replace the mag. The round was binding slightly on the mag lips. It is a very short throw on the bolt, so you need to get use to it. You don't need to use force at all on the bolt as I do with my '98's. The action is very smooth.

15. npink

npink New Member

What bullet weights would be good out of a 1 -12 twist barrel in a 223 cal

16. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Slower twist for lighter bullets. 40gr - 50gr are best. It will shoot 55gr, but groups will open up.

17. npink

npink New Member

I am looking at a Wetherby vanguard but I don't think they make them in 1-9 twist like I want

18. rogersguns

rogersguns New Member

Weatherby makes the 1 in 12 for good reason as it would be the more stable twist for 30 to 55 grain bullet weights. The 1 in 9 twist will stabilize the bullet for 40 to 70 grains but the 1 in 12 is the long range preference for varmint rifles.

19. jpattersonnh

Hmm, The 1:9 stablizes bullets that travel farther w/ more retained energy, but a 1:12 is prefered? I don't get it.

20. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

i own numerous .223 rifles including a Remington 700 with a heavy 26" barrel. My go to .223 is a CZ 527 American. It's much lighter than the others and is just as accurate as any of them. i'm not into bullets heavier than 55 grains in the .223: When heavier bullets are desired i go to a .243 or a .270.