223 rifles a mistake to own?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by hawkguy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

really, i am just posting so my count is not "666"...;)

but honestly, at every pannic 223/5.56 flies off the shelves and you can't find it. now the ammo, parts, and rifles for most 223 auto loaders are gone.

i'm considering investing in a new caliber myself....anyone else?

2. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

As soon as the panic is over it will go back to normal. Just wait it out.

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

well, a different caliber would not really help :p

being that .22, 9mm, .223, x39, .308 are alll getting a run on them.

perhaps you just need to get reloading. lol

4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Sure, how about 7.62x39? ;)

Consider reloading gear and components.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There is quite a bit of 270, 30-30 and other calibers still on the shelves. I have given some thought to at least having one rifle in one of the popular hunting calibers other than the 308 and 223. 243 comes to mind as covering both deer and varmints.

6. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Not in my neck of the woods. Everything is gone. Last time I was at academy there wasn't anything. They had maybe a total of 300 rounds left. All assorted.

7. hawkguy

true enough, but once the next panic hits.....gone again.

i'm sick of not being able to get reasonably priced plinking ammo for my 223 rifles. its normally hard, but during these panics its almost impossible. and these panics have been happening several times a year at this point.

8. hawkguy

if i had a nickel for every "you need to start reloading..." :rolleyes:

i know you are right, its a smart investment, i just can't do it in the foreseeable future.

i see decent availability on 357, 38spcl, 270, 30-30, 243, etc. its 9mm, 40, and 223 that is NOWHERE to be found (LGS, walmart, internet).

and i think this is the first time i ever recall 22 being hard to find....crazy.

9. hawkguy

ok, should have added that as well. but it seems "non NATO/auto" rounds are much more available.

and at the first sign of anything....223 is wiped off the shelf in minutes....:mad:

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I loaded up on 22lr just before the panic. Cabelas still has some decent prices for future delivery. Looking like February or March. I have 100 rounds of 308 SP ordered that was supposed to be in stock and it is looking like Feb. I need brass so I can reload. Even bullets are showing up as out of stock. I still have 500+ .223 bullets to load. Right now I am working very slowly on 9mm.

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

And that is why you should be stocked up on ammo and components during the good times, so you won't get caught short in the bad times.

12. NativH

NativH New Member

I picked this up two weeks ago on the internet, Federal MK318 MOD-0 5.56 62 Grain SOST (240 Rounds) In Stock! delivered to my front door in two days. I keep a few thousand rounds of 5.56 on hand at all times and regularly get a few hundred more, when the bug bites me. The wife used to hate that but these days, just shrugs.

Granted, since then, things have gotten scarcer and more expensive. Just keep hunting for it on the internet and have a card handy.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  13. hawkguy

good advice, of course. its never good to get caught with your "pants down," so to speak. i always keep a small stash of ammo, but it isn't a "doomsday" stash or anything. and i don't use this ammo, i just keep it or rotate it.

but imo, the "hoard it while you can" attitude is at least 50% responsible for this though. even when there is NO PANIC on, it is not uncommon to have some hoarder buy 1000's of rounds, literally wiping out everything in a given store in one purchase.

i've always tried to buy what i need for range use, in an attempt to combat these shortages. i wish others would think about doing the same, or at least building their stashes in small amounts at a time.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  14. TLuker

TLuker New Member

Just make up your mind to keep a thousand rounds (or more) on hand after things settle down. This buy up is a bubble. Once the bubble bursts all the ammo that is in demand now will be cheaper than ever. That's when you pick up a thousand rounds or so.

I'm just mad that I didn't stock up on some AR's a few months ago. This would be a great time to be selling a few! :(

15. cottontop

cottontop Guest

You will have no trouble with the .223 if you use a bolt action or a single shot and reload.
    cottontop

16. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

You are not going to combat any shortages by yourself. So you should just join. Lol. Plus it is cheaper to buy in bulk "in most cases"

I do buy about 500 rounds maybe 2 times a year. But the way I primarily grow my ammo stash is by picking up a box or 2 every time I go some wear that seals ammo. If I go to one of my LGS just to see what they have I at least walk out with a box of .22lr. Same for Walmart, bas pro, academy ext.....

17. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

The only way out that I see is to learn to chip your own flints (I think the word is 'knapp') and mix your own black powder. I'm to lazy for either.

There is a reason why .223/5.56 fly off the shelves. The tools, I mean weapons, are handy, accurate, fun to shoot, inexpensive (during normal times) to shoot and quite functional. Uncle taught many of us how to shoot them and that training has stuck.

'Step One'. Plan ahead.
    'Step Two'. See 'Step One'.

I reload, have for 50 years and don't buy anyone's ammo. But consumables get bought up just like the finished product. I follow 'Step One', see above.

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I was in Utah yesterday stopped in at Cabelas. They had plenty of ammo at regular prices. They were sold out of AR-15 rifles and large Mags.
    The reloading tools were in short supply. Maybe people who depend on factory ammo will get the message. Learn to reload your own ammo.:)

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The time to stock up is NOT when EVERYONE ELSE is doing it. Kind of like looking for generators and plywood as a hurricane is bearing down on you. Yeah stuff is in short supply, for those who did not already have plenty on hand. I feel ZERO need to buy guns and ammo right now, I have plenty of each.

20. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

There is no need to buy a "doomsday stash" in one trip to the store.

But if you're going to shoot 200 rounds this month, buy 400. Keep this up until you have a one year supply, and don't go below that.

Better yet, buy cases of 1000 online at a discount.

I no longer shoot as much as I did when I was younger, so 2000
    rounds of 5.56 and 3000 of 9MM will last me a year. Therefore I try to keep 4000 of .223 and 6000 of 9mm on hand. Not all loaded ammo, but enough components to load that much.

I haven't bought ammo or components since the election. Since I have enough on hand, I leave the stuff in the store there for those who didn't prepare.