.223 rem primers

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Wouva1, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Wouva1

Wouva1 New Member

What do most people who use .223 rem use as there favourite primers,I'll be reloading soon for my howa .223 and was just wondering that's all.....cheers

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

I have always used CCIs... just bought a batch of federals to try.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I've never found a difference between CCI, Winchester, Federal in small rifle primers.

4. sandog

sandog Member

As jpattersonnh says, they are all good. I don't have a bolt .223, I shoot an AR and a Mini-14, so I load with the CCI #41 primers which have a harder cup like military primers. But I've never had or knew anybody that had a slam fire using regular small rifle primers in an AR. I have a slight preference in my pistol and larger caliber rifles to use Winchester primers.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

For the Howa, Fed, Win, CCI, Rem. If you are looking to wring the absolute nth degree of accuracy look at match/benchrest primers.

For ball powders in cold climates, try magnum primers

6. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Started reloading .223/5.56mm in the mid to late 60s. This year i have loaded over 4,000 rounds. My favorite .223 primers are Winchester followed by CCI. Other brands would likely work just as well.

7. mseric

mseric New Member

I use whatever is availble, but if I have a choice, I prefer Rem 7 1/2. They are Magnum primers and work well in my 5.56 and my Grendel.

8. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

The Remington primers is what my reloading guru turned me onto when I started reloading .223. I use them for both my AR loads and my bolt gun.

9. Shade

Shade New Member

I concur. I have worked up loads for each primer and have not been able
    distinguish a difference in .223 Remington/5.56 NATO or any other rifle load.
    Now this is with standard Small Rifle primers, I was not comparing Magnum,
    Bench Rest, Mil-spec or other types of Primers. Also true with Large Rifle
    primers with the same exclusions. Also Federal and Remington Large Rifle
    Magnum primers are interchangeable.

IMO the relatively large charge of propellant negates and small differences
    in rifle cartridges. However, it would be prudent to work up loads when
    changing primers just to confirm there are no differences in your load and
    firearms.

I have seen differences in pistol loads, when using different primers.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  10. mseric

mseric New Member

Just make sure your Rem primers are 7 1/2 not 6 1/2. 6 1/2 are not to be used in the 223/5.56.

11. Shade

Shade New Member

Don't you mean in semi automatic rifle, particularly AR-15/M16
    rifles with free floated firing pins?

12. Wouva1

Wouva1 New Member

Thanks heaps everyone .....in my Howa .308 I have found a significant difference In what primers to choose,when I started load development for it I used rem 9 1/2 primers CCI and Federal 210M just to see which one would work the best,I found for my particular gun that the Federal 210M primers shrunk my groups significantly....on the other hand I have a mate who owns a CZ-223 bolt and tried different primers in his load development and found no difference at all hence why I thought I'd ask the question what do other people use in there .223's...I've never owned one personally but I will try the ones that you's recommended and will post my results when done...just to mention that I will be using this rifle primarily on foxes and feral cats.....cheers

13. Shade

Shade New Member

Fed 210M are match grade primers, if you used their regular primers I would
    expect no difference over the rems or the CCI's, just my 2 cents worth...

14. mseric

mseric New Member

No, I mean any 223 or any other high pressure rounds like the 204 and the 222.

Says so on the box and also on Rem web site.

In rifle cartridges, the 6-1/2 small rifle primer should not be used in the 17 Remington, 222 Remington, 204 Ruger or the 223 Remington. The 7-1/2 BR is the proper small rifle primer for these rounds.

Link.
    http://remington.custhelp.com/app/a...sion/L3RpbWUvMTM4MDE0NzM3Ni9zaWQvTkg2SnhlQmw=