.223 reloading questions

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ah141nj, May 13, 2009.

1. ah141nj

ah141nj New Member

Gearing up to start loading for my Colt Match Target HBAR, 16'', 1:9 twist

After reading up on several forums , I am still a little confused.

Would I want SB dies or FL dies?...I have been reading the pros & cons on both. Was thinking of getting the RCBS X FL set.

Also, to use my Lee Auto Disk Powder measure with adjustable charge bar what die do I need. You wouldnt want to flare the case mouth. Is the Lee Auto Disk Rifle charging die the only one available?

Crimp or no Crimp?

I picked up 2 lbs of H335 & Hornady 55gr FMJBT's to start out with. Still waitng for primers.

Just going for some plinking loads right now in the 100 yd range

FYI, I have been loading for 9mm & 45 acp, just never did any kind of rifle loads.

Thanks

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Dies. Kind of depends on the use. Accuracy. FL dies. Reliability. SB. the Dillon is essentially small base but turns out some excellent ammo. I have never used the X-die so someone else will have to chime in on those.

I use the Dillon so I am not qualified to answer Auto-Disc questions.

Crimp or no crimp? Cannelured bullets, light crimp. I like the Lee factory crimp die. Make sure you trim the brass to an even length so the crimp is consistent. Non-cannelured bullets. No crimp unless you have feeding issues. Then use a light crimp (very light) to insure the best accuracy.

335 should be a good choice. I prefer W-748 or BLC-2, but they are very similar to 335.

3. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I found if I don't crimp the bullets move .002 when chambered, I always crimp .223 bullets no matter what style. I use H335, 4895 but found that 4064 works the best in my 20", 1 in 9 V-Match.