.223 or 5.56?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by partdeux, Nov 8, 2012.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

sport utility rifle is chambered for 5.56

.223 is a touch less expensive

punching holes in paper at short range.

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

are you asking if your gun can handle it? .. yes.. there is very little difference. .. but there is A difference..

5.56 can shoot both .223 and 5.56 with no issue

.223 can shoot .223 .... also it can shoot 5.56 BUT. IT'S DANGEROUS IF YOU GET A HOT LOAD. known to cause kabooms.

as long as your gun says 5.56.. your good to go for BOTH.

3. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

rifle is marked 5.56 (and .223?)
    Any reason to spend the extra money on 5.56 ammo?

4. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

no reason unless u r hunting Taliban :D

For shooting at paper get the cheap stuff in bulk and enjoy.

5. Shade

Shade New Member

+1 ...................

pick the cheaper stuff.

6. ryanusmc24

ryanusmc24 New Member

Help me out here. What's the difference I'm kinda confused? Can you shoot both out of the same gun?

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

for punching holes in paper? No...both rounds are equally capable of tearing a hole in paper. :p Seriously, the only reason I would spend extra for 5.56 is if I was shooting for precision and was matching the caliber to the barrel...plinking and recreational shooting I just grab what's cheap and shoots clean.

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

You can shoot .223 out of a barrel chambered for 5.56 mostly because the 5.56 has a higher pressure...you cannot shoot 5.56 from a .223 only, chambered barrel. There are other differences in the chamber between the 2 rounds but they will mostly affect accuracy, not safety.

9. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Yes you can use any .223 or 5.56. Bottom line.

Lets not kick a dead horse this time guys.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Not quite so. The 5.56x45 chamber has a longer distance to the rifling than the 223. While the 5.56 is only 10% over pressure the short throat can cause a pressure jump to 30% over pressure.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

Chambers cut to .223 Rem specs have a shorter leade area as well as slightly shorter headspace dimension compared to the 5.56 military chamber. This contributes to the pressure issues.

12. steve4102

steve4102 New Member

Higher pressures, yes, KB dangerous pressures, No.

Barnes test.

[​IMG]

13. ryanusmc24

ryanusmc24 New Member

What happens if you shoot a 5.56 through a 223

14. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Thanks Cane, another great post.

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The sun caves in on itself, your face melts and dogs start loving cats.

The worst things I have seen are blown primers getting hung up in the fire control group and high pressure signs on case heads.

It is more stress on teh gun and can cause accelerated wear on parts. Bolt cracking is a possibility down the road, extractor wear, and bad things if you did get an ignition with the bolt not fully in battery. SO , I subscribe to the school of "it is not recommended to shoot 5.56 rounds in a .223 chambered barrel."

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

most likely nothing. the real danger is military rounds (556) use longer ogives on their bullets which in a dirty fouled barrel/chamber can greatly exceed the pressure curve and go kaboom. this makes the bullet actually touch the lands the chamber is tighter bullet is seated a scootch too far forward a few more grains of powder drop in the case during loading top it off with a little crud and everything combines the wrong way you go boom.

so while the first 5000 may go just fine then you draw the lucky card at 5001 and you end up on the interweb with pics of your gun all over the place :)

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Just remember- as the pregnant young lady said- "Hundreds of times nothing at all happened."

It only takes once. Feel lucky? By all means, please proceed. Down at the last firing point, when none of your body fluids will be splashed this far.

Oh- and if anything should happen to you.....can I have your guns? :rolleyes:

18. ryanusmc24

ryanusmc24 New Member

If I'm shooting all my guns are with me so they will all be gone too! :grins face:

19. steve4102

steve4102 New Member

Read the pressure chart above. The answer, higher velocity and higher pressure, but as a shooter without testing equipment, NOTHING, you will not know the difference.

20. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Since 1968 i've fired at least least 200,000 rounds of 5.56mm ammo in .223 rifle chambers with no problems. About the time large quantities of military surplus ammo hit the market SAAMI warned folks about firing 5.56mm ammo in .223 chambers. Some of what SAAMI says is pure bull$hit. For instance: US military cases are not thicker than commercial cases.

What you thought you knew about .223/5.56mm ammo, chambers, pressure, etc may be wrong:

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/