.223/nato

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by SmokyMtnHiker, Feb 1, 2012.

1. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

Are there more factors to an AR firing .223 or NATO than just the barrel and bolt?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using FirearmsTalk

2. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

First thing that comes to mind is the ammunition choice, then the trigger and of course the shooter. There is also the choice of sights or optics.

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

In a rifle designed for warm 5.56 loads cycling the action can be a problem with some lower powered .223. POI vs. POA varies with ammo as Cattledog pointed out.

4. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

Sorry thay was an incomplete statement..I'm wanting to build my AR.

I'll be shooting mainly 223 (for the cost) but maybe the versatility of a 556 for 'custom loads' if I so choose. Would that be a reasonable choice in a build? Or, just a standard 223 build? I'm a weekend range rat first and foremost.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

For the build go 5.56mm all the way! Then shoot all the .223 you want.

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Definitely go with the 5.56.

7. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

What they said. A 5.56 can shoot a .223, but a .223 (in general) can't shoot a 5.56. I think it has to do with different pressures.

8. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Honestly now, in the last 20 years, has anyone seen an AR barrel that was stamped .223?

9. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Would the bbl be stamped the same as the lower?

image-1955590161.jpg

What about a Remington R15?

10. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Oldie but a goodie.
    I got nothin...

11. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I wasn't "breakin' yer balls"... :D

Seriously, would the bbl be the same stamp? It makes sense that it would, but I don't know for sure. That's a pic off the net, and I couldn't find one of the bbl.

12. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

It's generally standard practice to stamp the caliber on the barrel. I can't think of a reason to stamp it on the lower since you could put on any upper you want, 556, 6.8, etc. might be a throwback to the awb days. Dunno.

13. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Yeah, that makes sense.

14. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

^^^what he said. No point in limiting yourself for a general purpose build. Unless you plan to shoot competitively with custom loads of a specific caliber, in my opinion 5.56 NATO is the better choice.

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

My ArmaLite upper has a Wilson 5.56 barrel that's not marked, and I've looked everywhere except under the barrel extension! Funny thing too, I put it on an S&W lower that also didn't have caliber marked, not even Multi - so nowhere on that rifle was caliber marked. Normally you will find the barrel marked. I wouldn't trust the lower. Even early M16s were marked .223 on the lower much like that Colt Sporter above but they really were 5.56 of course.

A gunsmith with the right gauges could tell you .223 vs. 5.56.

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

When building or buying an AR, I insist on 5.56X45 NATO, and chrome lined chamber and barrel. That's the MilSpec.:p

17. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

I've been shopping around at my LGS's and it seems they all carry RRA AR componets. They must one of the top manufactures..

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Sarcasm?

All three of my LGS's carry DPMS and Bushmaster.

19. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

Nope, none intended. Maybe a demographic thing..i just found it interesting.

20. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

LGS's are know to be full of **** and push crap on the unsuspecting consumer. Not saying RRA is junk but just because someone is selling it doesn't mean it is quality. It just so happens a lot of the commercial grade ARs have the greatest profit margin (mark-up). Take all the shops in N.Y. City that sell knock-off purses and luggage.