.223 metal casings

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Crazycastor, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I know this question has been asked before but I can't seem to find it in the archives. But how do you know if can shoot bullets with metal casings without actually shooting them in your ar. I have a Franlin Armory ar 15 that has a 16 inch barrel that has the nitrate salt barrel on it with a 1/7 twist. Guy wants to trade some reloading time for a case of 500 that he has.

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Steel casings are ok in ARs, brass is better.

3. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I have shot thousands of rounds of steel case out of my m&p 15 and have never had a problem with it.

I assume that you are talking about steel case when you say metal case.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  4. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Lol yea thats what I meant

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Castor- not to nit pick at you- but things are easier when we all use the same terms.

A CARTRIDGE consists of a cartridge case, primer, powder, and bullet.

With the exception of muzzleloaders, all firearms have a metallic cartridge case. However, they are divided (mainly) into Brass and steel (with a few aluminum one thrown in for confusion)

Would have been easier to get an answer if the question had been "Can I shoot steel cased cartridges in my AR?" And as the guys said up there, yes, you can.

DO pay attention to caliber, tho. If your upper is marked for 5.56, then you can shoot 5.56 or .223. However, if the upper is marked .223, DO NOT shoot 5.56 ammo in your rifle.

6. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Thanks guys for the information. Going to make that deal.