.223 dies

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by jjfuller1, Jul 19, 2012.

1. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

2. tri70

tri70 New Member

You need lube on 223 cases, pistol rounds like 9mm, 40, and 45 auto won't need lube with carbide dies. You just need a small amount of synthetic motor oil from a pad or spray like Hornady one shot works well for me.

All major brands are interchangeable, I use RCBS, Hornady, and Lee dies on a Lee turret press.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  3. steve4102

steve4102 New Member

Yes, it will fit into an RCBS press. All Modern dies will fit into all modern presses.

Yes, it will need lube. All FL sizing dies for Bottle necked cartridges must be lubed.

This is not a "Carbide" die similar to carbide pistol die. The die itself is is just hard steel like any other FL die. The only thing carbide is the expander button. The only true 223 Carbide dies I am aware of are Dillion and these still require lube.

Here is a better price.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/77...et-with-carbide-expander-button-223-remington

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000157680234

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

okay, thought i could hope. i'll just pick one up at the LGS. i did a dumb thing and got a shell stuck on accident. lesson learned. thanks again.

5. cottontop

cottontop Guest

There are still ways you can get that stuck case out. That would be better than buying a new set of dies. Just google it. If you don't want to attempt it yourself, most die companies will allow you, for a small fee, to send it to them and they will get it out.
    cottontop

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i already bent the pin trying.. chalk it up to exprience points.

7. steve4102

steve4102 New Member

Replace the pin and stem, not the whole die. Call your LGS, mine will extract it for free. You can also call them and see if they have a stuck case remover.

8. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

There are stuck case removal tools. If you got it out, and bent the pin in the process then call your die manufacture. 9 times out of 10 they will send you replacement parts for the die and you are not out a single dime.

You could drill out the primer and use and easy out on it as well.