.223 AR-15 recoil vs. 9mm AR-15?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by chachaseeds, Oct 1, 2011.

1. chachaseeds

chachaseeds New Member

Which caliber do you guys think recoils more/ has more muzzle rise?

2. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

.223, Due to the larger volume of powder.

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'm not understanding why you even compare the two?

A small pistol caliber VS an intermediate rifle cartridge?

If, and I say IF you are considering a 9mm semi with a longer

barrel,(hence, NOT a pistol) why not get a bull-pup, or sterling style

unit and embrace maneuverability of a smaller, lighter type

at @ 1/3 the cost of an AR platform?

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The .223 is like a BB gun. 9mm, well I have a Highpoint carbine, still like a BB gun. My 11 year old is proficent w/ a .223 at 200 yards. Is this a serious question? Both of my youngest boys, the other is 14 shoot 6.5x55. My 14 year old shoots a 20ga for birds. Again, is this for real??? If you get jump or climb, learn how to use a sling and hold the rifle/carbine correctly.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Why? Neither has enuff to bother a 5 yr old :confused:

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Six of one & half dozen of another !

7. chachaseeds

chachaseeds New Member

I'm just curious of the purpose of 9mm ar15's ignoring the cheaper ammo factor.
    So I guess the .223 has more recoil, but neither have any substantial recoil to begin with compared to other calibers (besides .22lr and whatnot)?

8. Wambli

Wambli Member

As close to apples to apples as I can make it. I have an SBR with a 7.5" .223 barrel and an AR pistol in 9mm with a 7" barrel (which will become an SBR soon). Neither one has much noticeable recoil and neither has much muzzle rise in the AR platform.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  9. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Triple up on that hearing protection :p . Plugs, muffs, and a potato sack over your head :p .

But yeah, neither has substantial recoil, though you will feel the .223 a little more, plus the .223 is louder and has a more noticable muzzle blast, so that will make people perceive recoil as being more intense.

10. Wambli

Wambli Member

It's not nearly as bad as most folks assume it to be either in noise nor blast, and for the most part a 5 year old could handle either no problem. It's the equivalent of being hit with a feather or a noodle...

11. RairWeatherSmok

RairWeatherSmok New Member

I have an LAR9 because I have standardized on 9mm ammo. Up to 100 yards it works. It has no more recoil than my XD9's.

If I want to shoot much over 100 yards, I'll use the Barrett.

12. chachaseeds

chachaseeds New Member

Interesting. I've always thought lower recoil was a key advantage with pistol-caliber subguns, but I've heard from some that 9mm ar15's will have more recoil because of its blowback operation.

13. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I was under the impression that police departments were choosing the 9mm carbines because they had less penetration through walls, etc..... another possible factor might be the effectiveness of a suppressor.

14. chachaseeds

chachaseeds New Member

well, I actually heard about 9mm rounds penetrating even MORE through walls at close range, as .223's tend to break apart inside a wall/structure. And yea, a huge advantage for 9mm is the ability to silence it. Also, it's quieter. However, I read on the Colt Defense's website that the main point of its 9mm ar is "lower recoil."

15. Blackbeard1718

Blackbeard1718 New Member

If it helps any, I was looking at buying either a Rock River LAR9 9mm AR, or LAR15 223/556. Most of my guns are 9mm, and I pretty much wanted to stay with that Caliber, until I fired a friend's AR-15 at the Range. In the end, I chose the 223/556, just to try a different Caliber, and I'm glad I did. They're about $.10 more a Round for 223 than 9mm, but still not too bad, if you don't go through a couple of hundred in a day.

I have a 9mm Beretta CX4, and a 9mm Hi-Point 995TS, both Carbines with 16" Barrels, like my LAR15. As stated above, the 223 gives more of a Recoil than my 9mm Carbines do, but just a little more. It's quite manageable. I've got a Muzzle Brake for my LAR15, which helps to reduce Recoil and keeps the Muzzle from rising. The LAR15 is indeed LOUD, and makes a nice KA-BOOM when fired. Very noticeable!

I had a Triple Heart By-Pass 10 years ago, and can't shoot the higher Caliber Rifles and Shotguns like I used to, primarily because my Rib Cage is wired back together. So, I was also looking at Low Recoil in a Rifle, for that reason as well.

I shoot 100 Rounds of .223 when I go to the Range, and it doesn't bother me in the least. It's a very comfortable gun.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!

BB

16. ofitg

ofitg New Member

That's good enough for me!

I guess it makes sense - if you compare the weight & velocity of a 9mm slug with the weight & velocity of a .223 slug, the momentums would appear to be about equal....

However, the .223 round will also have 20+ grains of propellant gases erupting out of the muzzle at 4000 fps..... that's going to increase the .223 recoil by 50% or more.

17. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have a Colt 9mm CAR and several AR variants, including a couple of Colt CARs. The 9mm recoils more than the 5.56 when I fire mine side by side.

18. chachaseeds

chachaseeds New Member

Do you think this may because of the blowback action of your 9mm that increases percieved recoil? That said, which has more muzzle rise/flip?

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Could be. The 9mm has more torque, which makes it seem like it has muzzle rise. I've always found it interesting.

20. chachaseeds

chachaseeds New Member

Thanks for your answers! I guess percieved recoil is differrent with everyone, but technically a 9mm will have lower recoil...