223/556 reloads

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Ricochet, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

i'm wondering why my reloads are a tight fit in my bolt gun. everything is trimmed, sized, and within specs with my calipers? they go into the chamber just fine, but just tight when i lock the bolt. the shoot good and no problems in my AR15. thanks for any input

2. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Did you full length size them or neck size them?

3. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Its impossible to measure the shoulder of a bottleneck cartridge with calipers. You need a case gage.

Most likely you havent set the shoulder back far enough for the bolt gun. Ar15 typically have pretty loose chambers. Bolt guns tend to be chambered at or very close to saami minimum.

If your raising your shell plate up to top screwing the die down till it hits the plate method of sizer die adjustment, thats just the starting spot and is generally too long. You need a case gage to get the correct saami case measurement set.

5. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

good point! i'll check into that

6. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

Look into getting a Hornadey LNL Comparator to check your cases shoulder. They cost under $40. My reloads run smooth through my AR. Mickey

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

You probably have a slightly tight chamber. If they work in your AR I wouldn't worry about it as long as they are usable in the bolt gun. A lot of my reloads require a little effort to close the bolt. That's not a problem.

8. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

what case gauge do you guys like?

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Wilson is the politically correct answer.:D

But most of mine are Midway.