223/5.56 Self defense ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by fa35jsf, Sep 19, 2013.

1. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Out of curiosity, what type of bullet would you use for a close range (muzzle to 25 yards) self defense setup. I am interested in something that would have the least likely chance to penetrate a wall. Also my rifle is 1:7" twist.

So obviously 62 grain penetration rounds are out.

I would also say the 55 grain FMJ is also out.

I picked up some 50 grain polymer tipped varmint rounds from American Eagle

What about the hollow point rounds? Can those tiny holes really allow for rapid expansion?

Frangible?

Soft Point?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

3. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Soft points are hunting rounds and work well on killing most creatures they have good penetration and expansion. I personally like hollow points, while the penetration will not be as much as FMJ's they expand on contact (or a couple inches in) and impart more energy with larger wound channels and more damage. If looking for a HD/SD round I would recommend using a hollow point for soft skin targets. (two legged). Also they are less likely to exit the target.

Just my view on it.
    Jim

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  4. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Thanks. I was wondering.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

the 223/556 is a superb defensive round for home use. police like the 55grain hornady tap for its ability to neutralize goblins and not go through walls.

6. sandog

sandog Member

Hollow points in a bullet made for varmint hunting will fragment and not over penetrate. However, a hollow point in a Match type bullet is there to ensure the bullet is more base heavy for enhanced accuracy. Hollow points in a match bullet should not be expected to "upset" and " blow up", although some might just from striking a hard object up close when velocity is still very high. Bullet manufacturers are quick to point out that the hollow point in a match bullet is cosmetic and does not mean that they are expanding bullets. Most people threat them like a FMJ as far as expansion or upset. Best to use if over penetration is a concern would be one of the frangible loads, next best would be a thin jacketed varmint bullet like the Hornady SX or V-max, or the Sierra Blitzking. Note that none of these very explosive varmint bullets are hollow point, the SX has an exposed lead tip, and the Blitzking and V-max are polymer tipped.

7. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

Initially I thought a 50 grain would be too light for a 1:7 twist..
    But then again, over spin MIGHT cause it to fragment before it hits anything..
    Less accuracy but might be the cure to owe penetration...
    ..just a thought