222 vs 22 mag

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by r00tuuu123, May 4, 2013.

1. r00tuuu123

r00tuuu123 New Member

I am doing some work for a guy and he has offered to barter for the work. a222 or a22 mag which should I choose ? I spent some time messing with the 222 but have not with the 22 mag. which would be my best bang for the buck so to speak. I do not know that much about ammo availability for either but what would you guys/gals pick it would be like 500 t0 600 $ worth of work.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

it all depends on the rifles intended usage. both are great calibers.

need more information on your usage of a rifle and the rifles themselves to give a more detailed answer.

BTW, welcome to the forum and stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello.

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The real question is what are the firearms? There is more than a caliber issue when making this kind of decision. Normally the .222 CF would be worth more than a .22 Mag. However if the .22 Mag is a CZ Bruno take down with extra clips the game changes.
    Trade for the most valuable rifle, you can always trade for something else.:D

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I would go with the magnum shooting solids better penetration...........

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I think ya misread it Tom.

It was a .22 mag, not a 222 mag.

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, lets hear more about the guns. I bought a Savage 22 MAG last year, cost more than 600 bucks.....

7. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I would take the .222 as the .222 can be reloaded and the .22mag cannot.
    ct

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

90% of the rifles I've seen in .222 are classics, but there are a few dogs out there. Check the bore especially the muzzle for wear as bad cleaning habits use to be common. Steel rod cleaning from the Muzzle. Is either scoped? The type and condition of scope can tell allot about the rifle. If you need to know how to cheap test the muzzle, ask.

9. teenahlake

teenahlake New Member

If the crown is worn, I would probably cut it back an inch, and since any collector value is now moot, rechamber to 223

10. jpattersonnh

Why?? Makes no sense to me.

11. teenahlake

teenahlake New Member

because a worn crown/rifling will affect accuracy, cutting it back will normally clean it up, and rechambering to 223 will #1 make it easier to find ammo, and#2 clean up the leade once again possibly restoring accuracy. If the rifle shoots well by all means leave it alone, if not this could restore the accuracy for minimal cost

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Value-wise you need to know the guns themselves as said. However, I would add...

As great as the .22 Mag is, and it is for what it is, it ISN'T a centerfire. But the .222 is not as popular as it used to be a half century ago, especially north of the border...

13. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

.222 as you can load it back to suit or up to take foxes, coyotes etc.
    The only advantage a .223 has over the .222 is it handles heavier projectiles better and at the end of the day a fox, coyote or whatever doesn't really know whether it's been hit with a 55gn from a .223 or a 50gn from a .222. as dead is dead.

A .22 magnum is a good close in fox, rabbit or dog gun so there's no real comparison between it and the .222 because they were made for different purposes.

Besides that the .222 still holds a few world bench rest records something the .223 has yet to do as far as I know.................stand to be corrected though.

14. cottontop

cottontop Guest

My .222 shoots 55 grain bullets just fine; very accurate, so I see no advantage of the .223 over the .222.
    ct

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The twist rate determines the bullet weight. I have a 1:12 223 that likes the lighter bullets much better than the heavier ones. 55 grains shoot to 1 moa while 45 grains shoot to 1/2 moa or less.

16. jpattersonnh

Still is not bad. The .222 is a pure Varmint Classic. Cutting, re-chambering is not a good thing as suggested above. The Barrel could be removed have a bit of threads cut off and have the chamber recut to .222. The Muzzle could be counterbored 1/4" or re crowned.