.221 fireball?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by kaido, Mar 19, 2012.

1. kaido

kaido New Member

I'll be honest, I'm not sure where the best place to put this is, but I'm thinking about looking for a rifle chambered in .221fireball.

The way I found out about this round other then on the Internet?
    I was at a friends place shooting and he pulled out the XP-100 that's chambered in it. Because its a rifle round I was waiting to pull the trigger and have the gun nearly hit me in the face.....it barely moved and I even hit my target. Sadly there was only one round and that was all.

So here's my question(s) to you guys, I'm unable to find a box around so and was wondering, what's the range of cost per box(20)?

Another question is, do you know of any good rifles chambered for it?
    All it would be used for is gophers, coyote and of course, paper punching.

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Cabelas has ammo for the 221 Fireball,it's around $30 a box.
    Most people that shoot this caliber reload their ammo.
    Lonyaeger has a 221 Fireball,and if I remember right,it's a Remington 700.He shot several prairie dogs with it last year when we went hunting in Dalhart,Tx.
    It was a nice rifle.

3. kaido

kaido New Member

I found prices after, by that was only after taking "pages from Canada" off in the google restrictions. Still haven't found a Canadian retailer yet though.

I most defiantly see why people who shoot this round reload. For some reason I was expecting it to be closer to the cost of a .223 but just a bit more. Still looking for a rifle chambered in it though.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Price difference? They load thousands of .221 Fireball cartridges. And maybe wait a year, load some more.

.223 is produced in the BILLIONS of rounds. By civilian makers, and (in it's 5.56 version) by half the government arsenals in the world.

5. kaido

kaido New Member

That I never knew. Well I knew that .223/5.56 was mass produced, but I didn't think that .221 would I been such a hard round to find. I'm almost thinking I'd be better off just sticking to .223 for varmint.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Kaido, looks like if you are wanting a rifle chambered in that round, you will probably have to look for one used or have one built in this caliber. Remington chambered it in the M700 rifle at one time, but doesn't look like they currently do.

7. kaido

kaido New Member

Yeah, that's why I'm giving up on that quest. Just going to stick with the more common calibers that won't cost an arm and leg.

8. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I would stick with the 223 cuz u can get bulk range ammo then spend the extra buck for quality hunting rounds or the 22-250 witch ain't to bad on ammo price but u get more energy at longer shots then the 223

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH ;)

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

as was stated earlier, most of these type of uncommon calibers, people who shoot them, most reload them. my recently acquired rifle, a Ruger M77V in 280 Rem. cost from $30-70 for factory ammo. very reason i will reload ammo for it!

10. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Really lol I was going to turn my 110 to a 280 now u just smacked that one out the ballpark for me lol

11. kaido

kaido New Member

That's the main reason I was looking for a .223 in the first place. (still waitting on the money for that) I like the fact I can get 100 rounds for about .50 a piece. That's why I ruled the 22-250 out as well. Haha

But all in good time I'll probably have one

I know, but I'm a little to cheap to pick up a press and dies righ now. Hana

12. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Y I got a press dies and everything else for 180 from midway USA

13. kaido

kaido New Member

My pays aren't exactly to great and I also don't have any center fires yet except for the 12 gauge that I pretty much just bought. So as of now, a reloading kit would be a little useless. Haha

14. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I bet u make more then me cuz all I do is babysitting for 50-70 Buck every other week lol

15. kaido

kaido New Member

Haha well maybe I do make more then you do. But still not enough to justify buying a loading kit for the time being. But I think when I get at least two centerfire rifles I'll take a serious look at a kit.

16. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Plus have you checked the price of 250 ammo it's not to bad for cheap range ammo but then again I can buy two boxs of 06 ammo for the price of a box of quality hunting loads witch I don't even shoot much

17. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Just throwing it out there lol and that's what I did was wait till I got my 06s then got in to reloading

18. kaido

kaido New Member

I haven't checked FMJ prices for 22-250 at all. I haven't seen them at my Walmart since they tend to deal more with hunting ammunition. So basicallyive got the most common rounds to pick from so long as their either HP or SP. it's why I was surprised to see a couple boxes of Winchester .223 FMJ.

EDIT had a spelling mistake. Haha

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  19. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Remington express is the cheapest I found but then there Winchester white box with 40 round for 30 something but I don't shoot them cuz my gun can't stand them plus I always for get my dang ear plugs when I shoot so I tend to shoot a box a trip cuz that s.o.b will make your ears ring till the next day lol

20. kaido

kaido New Member

Ooh, well I might look into a .22-250 a little more then. It seems like it would be good for coyote out to around 200yards and the taking gophers at maybe 100-150 yards.

I know what you mean about needing ear plugs though. I usually only shoot .22s when I go to the range since that's all I've had up until Saturday, but I've had a couple guys come down with their 250s and wholie thief one loud rifle. It almost feel like you get hit with the sound wave as bad as when my buddy bring his 7mm rem may out.