.22 wmrf - What?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by bernielink, Nov 22, 2010.

1. bernielink

bernielink New Member

Hi Friends, This may be a stupid question, but what does "wmrf" mean in regard to a .22 mag T/C Contender barrel?
    Thanks, Bernie

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Despite the saying, there ARE stupid questions- but this is not one of them.

It means Winchester Magnum Rimfire- the formal name of the .22 magnum.

There is also .22 WRF- Winchester Rimfire (like a .22 mag Short) There was also .22 Winchester Auto, .22 Remington Auto, a .22 Special, and a .22 Velo Dog (Euro .22 centerfire) and .22 BB cap, CB cap, short, long long rifle, and extra long. Most of these (except the ones in blue) are obsolete, and not often seen.

3. bernielink

bernielink New Member

Thanks c3shooter

Thanks c3shooter, It was the "F" at the end (WMRF) that was throwing me. I had heard of WMR but not WMRF. I guess the "F" stands for "fire" as in rimFIRE. Thanks, Bernie

4. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

The .22 WRF is often found in limited quantities as short production runs have been made. I liked using these in my Ruger Single Six, with the .22 WMR cylinder in place. The flat point lead bullet was just the thing for squirrels, and the larger cartridges were easier to handle with cold hands than the .22 LR.

Bob Wright