Firearms Talk banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts
Right about now we demand photos of a Velo dog, and the thread drifts into a debate of whether it is a .22 Velo Dog or 5.5 mm Velo Dog, and whether the Velo Dog can be fired in a .22 magnum rifle.

Two people will resurrect the thread after 3 years, asking if the OP wants to sell his Velo Dog.

Somebody claims the Velo Dog is a European Conspiracy responsible for the shortage of .22 RF ammo, posts a link to Alex Jones Infowars, and has a tantrum when told he is not a supporting member. Three Mods walk him around the corner to show him the new woodchipper down by the lake. :rolleyes:
The 22 mag is quite capable when fired from a rifle. Just this weekend I shot some steel spinners with a 22 WMR. The 22 wmr TMJ round was putting a dimple in 1/2" mild steel at 75 yards that was just a deep as 357 mag dimples from 25 yards or less. I was amazed when I saw the damage the little 22 mag was doing to the 1/2" plate.

Bong- Australian slang for a lake:

Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong
Under the shade of a coolibah tree
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boiled
You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda with me

:p
Wow! C3 can sing too.

Discussion starter · #43 ·
The Velocipede Dog 5.56 was for bicycle riders of the 19th century to discourage dog bits. It was less powerful than a .22 LR. It was loaded with a jacketed bullet but more often not. The more human loads were loaded with spices or rock salt. If you want to shoot a "Grizz" with a load of Cinnamon and salt have at it. You will end up a pile of ? On rock. :eek:
I have discovered that an everyday squirt gun loaded with a 50/50 mixture of water and Parsons "sudsy ammonia" cleaner, squirted generously into the eyes and open mouth of an aggressive pooch has a rapidly-acting calming affect upon them, and also imparts a sudden respect for property lines, bicyclists, pedestrians etc..

Many times, belatedly realizing that their behavior has been inappropriate, they will howl and whine in shame as they return to their familiar home ground, never to err in that particular way again.

Doesn't matter which you choose, unless its a $3000 custom, Mauser action, hand bedded in a African ironwood stocked rifle with a Swarovski scope like mine. You'll never hit anything and you'll bring shame on your family name.

The Velo Dog is good for home defense -- it is just as good as the 458 Win Mag at close range. It doesn't overpenetrate and the 458 might go through a 1/4" sheetrock wall. Don't believe me? I can prove it...

I dare you to stand there and be shot with a Velo Dog! Now bow to my irrefutable logic.

I saw a video on YouTube of some random dumbass shooting the velo dog into a water jug, and it proved that it is a terrific defensive round! Of course, I cannot post a link to the video for some vague reason.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
I saw a video on YouTube of some random dumbass shooting the velo dog into a water jug, and it proved that it is a terrific defensive round! Of course, I cannot post a link to the video for some vague reason.
What did he use to launch the velo dog - and how did it fit into the water jug?

Was it chihuahua-sized? Here in the high chihuahuan desert we have to watch out for the roving packs off the wild chihuahuas, especially at night.

You are generally pretty safe if you wear ankle protectors, or sturdy boots. The primary danger is in slipping on or tripping on one of them, allowing the others to close in while you are down.

A 458 Winchster won't do you much good then, as it only carries four rounds, counting the one up the spout.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.