22 under 175

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by remington7mm, Jan 25, 2011.

1. remington7mm

remington7mm New Member

are there any good .22's under 175 that are good and reliable. i just picked up a xd45 and that one gets expensive fast. so im thinking im going to pick up a 22. how ever i dont want to spend over 200 with paperwork for a 22. can anyone recomend a nice 22 for what im looking to spend? i will eventually scope it and what not but a basic 22 i can tinker with and throw a nice set scope on it would be awsome for plinking some cans and targets and what ever me and my buddies are shooting that day. thanks a bunch i will be looking forward to replies.

2. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

3. remington7mm

remington7mm New Member

im going to see what some others have to say but looks like a decent little 22

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Marlin 795 is accurate and reliable and can be found for around $125ish most places.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Mossberg also make a nice little bolt action 22lr in that same price range. I use a Konus 2.5x32 shotgun scope on my 10-22s. It has a diamond reticle for fast target acquisition and runs $45+ shipping at SWFA.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  6. remington7mm

remington7mm New Member

does marlin make and extended mags? id like to find something i can get like a 20 rnd mag for. i know ruger makes an extended mag but havent seen any other ones available! i would also like a semi auto, no bolt action im not really a fan of them other than for like a 30-06 or hunting rifel along thoes lines!

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Marlin model 60 would be a good choice.

8. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

If you have a Dick's near you, they carry a Savage Mark II package deal. You can also get the gun as a model 64 if you want semi-auto. Comes with a 4x-32 scope and when on sale is $159. $189 is the regular price. Nice wood laminate gun that shoot accurate and doesn't break the bank.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There are extended mags for the Remingtons.

10. remington7mm

remington7mm New Member

I'll have to see what dicks has for sale also Cabelas I would really like a ruler 1022 but little higfor the budget after buying my xd 2 weeks ago

11. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

Go to Bud's Gun Shop and search for rifles in 22lr, the prices there are usually close to what my local Wal-Mart charges for the same rifle. You'll find several for $200 or less even after shipping and transfer fees though Bud's if you can't find one locally.

I'm partial to the Marlin 60 with the wood stock, I like the tube magazine, it's easier on the fingers when loading 500+ rounds during a range session and has a 15 round capacity. The 795 has a $25 dollar rebate until the end of the year which makes it about the lowest price 22 semi-auto available. The Mossberg 702 is a good rifle for the price as well as the Savage and Marlins.

There are no Hi-Cap mags for the Marlin or Mossberg, I don't know about the Savage, I haven't seen one available but I also haven't really looked for one either.

Bud's Gun Shop. Select "Rifles by caliber" from the drop down menu. Narrow your search by caliber, brand, action etc. using the other drop down menus then sort by price. Don't forget to check your local gun shops to see if they have something used for a little better price.

12. remington7mm

remington7mm New Member

thanks eric, illlook into it for sure, like i said im trying to find something smaller than my 45 for around 175 and ammoisnt that expensive for and is just all around a good time to shoot. 22 seems to be the best all around!

13. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I bought a Mossberg 702 last summer. I am not impressed at all with the quality or accuracy. If I were to get rid of a rifle I have, it would be the first to go. My favorite 22 is my Remington 572 pump and my 2nd and 3rd are also Tube fed pumps. They are almost as fast as the Semi Autos. The bolts are generally more accurate. You can probably find a decent used 22 in your price range. I have never seen a shot out 22.

14. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

That's why my Marlin 60 gets a lot more rounds though it compared to anything else. When I first started shooting a large volume of ammo it was 30-30 and 9mm and it was getting expensive so I picked up the Marlin to save some money. I usually hit the range with 3-5 different rifles and pistols, I'll shoot 100-200 rounds through all the others then put 300-500 through the 60.