.22 to take a fox?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Redarrow18, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

If I buy some like "varmint" .22 rounds and go for a head shots, will this humanely take a fox?

2. kaido

kaido New Member

Pending on how close you are, you wouldn't have to go for a head shot. If your less then 100yrds you could go for a vital shot and most likely make a clean kill. Least I know with gophers it's possible at that distance, but I've only done it twice and from a sand bag.

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

.22 LR is more than sufficient to take a fox humanely as long as you place your shot well.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think at reasonable distances the 22 magnum would be a better choice.

5. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

Oh I'd only be 25 yards max, they like to come up to my garden which is close to my house, the problem is that there is three of them and I could get one but the other two would bolt before I could even think about putting my sights on them

6. kaido

kaido New Member

Heck at 25 yards you cod probably toss a large enough rock and not have them suffer. A .22LR won't have any issues taking them at the distance. Just a tip, Winchester makes some great hollow points that come in 333 round boxes.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if they are just raiding the garden, maybe some 22 shotshell and a few shots in their rumps might work!

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Check and see if firing a .22 is legal. 25 yards sounds like you are in town, that would be a big problem in town around here. I have used live traps to get foxes at the school (no guns allowed!).

9. fmj

fmj Active Member

My dad and i have killed many a fox with a .22 mag and .22 LR respectively.

10. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

.22 for fox

At the distance your talking,not a problem. gotta take care of business.:) Cliff

11. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

If that's the case leave the dead one there as a message. Animals are smarter than we give them credit for. They will either see it and stay away or see it and you have your own feeding post for the others and you can get all three.

12. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

.22 is sufficient for taking a fox, but a head shot may miss altogether. A body shot will cause enough trauma to kill humanely on a small animal like a fox. Also, the skull is the most armored part of any body and if the round doesn't hit at a right angle to the bone, it can be deflected, causing a wounded animal and a failed hunt. Center of mass is almost always the proper hold for humane hunts.

13. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

Check your state's regulations. For instance, in Georgia, there is a season that applies to foxes, and they may be taken by "any .22-cal. or smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any muzzleloading firearm."

They may also be taken with shotguns utilizing shotshells 3 1/2" or smaller with No.2 or smaller shot.

14. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

.22 will take down a fox with no problems.
    Also you might want to check your states hunting laws, just to be on the safe side.

15. JustinM

JustinM New Member

.22 would probably work fine. However I do quite a bit of predator hunting; Coyotes, foxes, bobcats, etc... And my recommendation is the .22 lr's big brother. The .22-250. It's a great faster traveling .22. The hornady varmint rounds are incredible. They drop em quick and you don't need headshots. I have a savage .22-250 and it is great.

16. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Not sure why you'd want to kill a fox simply for eating out of your garden. We have all those varmint-type animals around here, and I don't feel a need to kill them. I'd just fence in the garden. I'd also like to see the foxes come to my yard, they're cool.

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Probably because he's not growing it to feed the fox and a .22 round costs far, far less than building a fence.

Fox is not something I would hunt, but I'm not going to argue with someone who is having a problem with them.

18. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

But in Ga you can kill an animal/ varmint out of season if they are causing agricultural damage.

19. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

I have a lot of foxes at my property. I to like to watch them. But they have also killed two of my cats, three of my caged rabbits. I also had them go after one of my renters Minnie-dogs. Luckily they haven't touched the veggie's.

When they start loosing there fear of man & domestic pets you have to protect your belongings & food supply.

20. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

I wouldn't mind if there wasn't my cats and other animals around, the foxes do like the catnip plant I have out there tho..:confused: