.22 target pistol

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by jaredgunner185, Aug 24, 2013.

1. jaredgunner185

jaredgunner185 New Member

I was getting into long range pistol shooting in the .22 caliber I am pretty experienced to up to about 50 yards with my browning buckmark. However I am wanting to get into competition and need a nice preferably U.S made target pistol. I have a 1200 dollar budget

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The S&W 41 is supposed to be a pinnacle in .22LR performance and

accuracy. (Read this month's F&S Bill Heavey Article about D.E. Petzal.)

I find joy with my Ruger MKII scoped long-barrel slab-side. But I'm

just a plinker. High Standard is a great shootin' iron for comp 22.

But I'm given to understand the Buckmark is also a fine target

pistol.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013

3. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Without a doubt: Smith and Wesson Model 41. Had one during my Bullseye shooting days a couple of decades ago, have been kicking myself over and over for selling it. One day I will have another.

Attached Files:

4. jaredgunner185

Do they still make the s&w 41or is it hard to get. If not is there any pistols currently in production that's good

5. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I believe the Model 41 is still in production, although sometimes they are hard to find. But worth it. If you have the budget, don't settle for second best. Used ones show up on gunbroker.com.

I've shot Ruger target models, Browning target models, and Hi Standard target models. I would take the Model 41 head and shoulders above any of them.

6. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

The Hi Standard Victor is nice.

7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I've had just about every competition 22 there is. In your price range, the Smith 41, High Standard Victor, and High Standard Supermatic Trophy in a 107 series are your best opinions.

Having all 3, the Smith 41 is the LEAST impressive. Accuracy wise, they are all three about the same. But in competition, it's all about the trigger. The Smith 41 can't hold a candle to the HS guns. Especially these newer production 41s. I have 5 High Standards and one 41. There's a reason for that.

The only advantage that the 41 has over the HS is that it is still a production gun and you can easily get replacement parts and extra mags. The old High Standards are not made anymore so finding parts can be tough if you happen to break something. And extra mags can be expensive. And the High Standard that is making guns now is NOT the same as the original HS company. Don't get confused.

8. jaredgunner185

What about guns that are in production and besides the s&w 41 my gun shop says they had them ordered since last year and received one a month ago so that is out.

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Go used. S&W 41s are not terribly rare on the used market. Guns America has a couple. Also check with more than one gun shop. You might luck out.

10. jaredgunner185

Yeah I actually called 4 gunships in my area and all are sold out and told me good luck and I just don't have the patience for online guns lol I like to see what I'm getting and check it out before I buy so I tend to stay away from that

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If you're dead set on a 41, I'd shop Gunbroker for a used one. Late 70s models would about be the only ones I would consider personally though. New production would certainly be out.

You might find a used Hammerli in that budget. Or you can look into a custom Volquartsen.

12. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I have to admit that I have not shot a current model 41; I got mine about 1970, and found it to be an excellent gun. I will also say that, at the time, Hi Standard made an excellent target pistol -- my father shot one in his Bullseye matches. But I preferred my 41. I wouldn't mind having one of the Hi Standards from that era, thought, as they were also excellent guns. To be honest, though, this many years later, I'm not sure which model he had. I think it was the Supermatic Citation.

13. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Member

14. mdauben

mdauben New Member

Unfortunately, you can't have your cake and eat it, too! ;)

If you want instant gratification you'll have to settle for a Ruger or Buckmark. If you want a S&W Model 41 or a gun of similar quality you're stuck ordering one through your FLGS or buying one new or used from one of the online sources.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  15. jaredgunner185

Yeah thanks for all input guys I really appreciate it. As far as cake and eat it to goes I understand I may have to wait for a gun that's not exactly what I meant I meant I like to look at the gun and get a feel of it before I buy lol. And I like to support my local gun shops. As far as the volquartsen they seem really nice but honestly they're still based on ruger product seems like. I just ordered a tactical solutions barrel and compensator for the browning do you thing the browning is a good choice to upgrade as far as comps go. Or should I drop money into volquartsen gun. I don't mind to do so but they look so similar.

16. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Volquartsen are based on the Ruger design, but there's nothing wrong with that. They are top tier in terms of competition guns.

The TacSol barrel is not considered competition-grade. It's just an aftermarket barrel to help reduce weight. They won't be any more accurate than the factory barrel. Fixing up your Buckmark will be fun and you can certainly improve from the original, but the end result will not be a Bullseye contender.

17. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I'm thinking mebbe there's a reason the Model 41 is so hard to find -- people snap them up.

18. Olympus

Olympus New Member

That's certainly one reason. Another could be that most shops don't see a lot of market in stocking $1000+ 22 pistols. A
    great majority of people buying 22 pistols want Ruger, Buckmarks, etc. Essentially, $250-$375 pistols. Not a lot of competition shooters in some areas.

As a dealer and knowing my area, I don't want to tie up that much money to stock a 41 that might take years to sell.

19. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

I suggest get a Ruger, Buckmark, etc and develoup your skills before investing in a Volquartzen or other high end target pistol. Otherwise you could go to the range with your high end target pistol and be out shot by someone with a Ruger,Buckmark, etc.
    I installed the Volquartzen trigger kit in my Ruger MKII. Worth every penny. I also have a High Stanmdard Sport King from the 60's. Both are very accurate.

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

You have gunships in your area, and they sell

firearms? I guess nobody could stop them, if they wanted to...:D