.22 suggestions

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by WannaBeVagabomd, Jul 16, 2013.

1. WannaBeVagabomd

WannaBeVagabomd New Member

Anyone know a good all metal .22? Looking at Ruger 22/45 or Browning Buckmark. Other suggestions welcomed. It'll be used a lot for hunting, but I don't want a 7" barrel or anything crazy like that.

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Vagabomd,

You may want to take a look at the Sig 1911 22 Cal Pistol they are very nice and a great shooter if you are interested in the 1911 style weapon. I have a Browning Buckmark also which is a fine pistol. But love that Sig 1911 22 Cal! And they are very reasonably priced also for the quality of the pistol. And very accurate!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Both of those are good choices. I prefer the Ruger as they tend to be the most reliable in my experience and are not as picky about what ammo they get.

4. WannaBeVagabomd

My only problem is that the grip of the Buckmark felt pretty damn large for a 22 and the rest of the gun on the ruger felt big. Maybe that's just me.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Check out the new Walther PPK/s in .22LR.

Metal, 10 rounds, accurate, easy to carry.

6. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

.22LR's

We have a few, of course. My wife has a 6" Buckmark, and we also have a 5.5" Ruger 22/45, and I have two Chiappa's, a 1911-22 and the M9-22...If your looking for Target/Bullseye either the Browning or the Ruger's are good choices..also have an Old colt Woodsman thats a safe queen these days,..

7. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I've had a 22/45 for about 6 months and I am very pleased with the accuracy. It tends to feel a little "muzzle heavy" with the polymer frame and heavy barrel but I got used to it.

image-774240127.jpg

8. mdauben

mdauben New Member

IMO it's hard to do "better" than the Ruger or Buckmark for less than $900-1000 in an auto pistol. I would suggest checking out a Ruger Mk III, though. Pretty much the same as the 22/45 but with a different grip frame. I prefer the MkIII but some people do like the angle on the 22/45.

If your not set an an auto pistol, you could also check out the S&W 617 or Ruger Single-Six revolvers. The DA Smith is pricier than the SA Ruger but both have fans and they can make excellent hunting handguns.

As far as barrel length there's nothing particularly "crazy" about a 7-inch barrel (my own Ruger Mk III has a 6 7/8 inch barrel). Unless you are using a scope or red dot the longer barrel is actually an advantage for accurate sighting. A longer barrel can also provide better bsllistc performance out of a .22LR, which can mattet for hunting. Personally, unless compactness is a real need, I would not pick a gun with a barrel less than 6-inches for target shooting it hunting.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  9. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

Here's my 22/45 with the 4.5" threaded barrel. If you you can find one in the "Lite" configuration that's what I would recommend.

[​IMG]

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I actually prefer the MK2.

11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I am tagging along with 03, slight deviation is save a few sawbucks and get the ATI version of the GSG 1911-22.

12. WannaBeVagabomd

Any opinions on Smith and Wesson model 41?

13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Probably one of the best current production 22s available. Biggest downside is cost. You're looking at about $1000 just for a 22 handgun.

14. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

The "wife's" 22/45 lite is a very good shooter. Plus it is drilled and tapped and comes with a rail so if you want to put an optic on it you are good to go.

15. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I have an old High Standard Victor that is a tack driver. But, I hunt squirrels with a Ruger Single-Six, with 22 LR. It's an accurate revolver and a lot of fun to shoot. The magnum cylinder just adds to the fun and capability of the pistol.

16. BVAL

BVAL New Member

Had all that everyone has posted, still have some, got talked out of on the rest. Really can't go wrong with any one of them. If you came directly to me and asked the question " I'm looking for a good hunting 22 handgun, made of steel". Here's your answer,,,,,,,,,semiauto,,,,,,,Ruger MK 3 Hunter model S/S,,,,,,,,,,,,Rev. Ruger SingleSix S/S 5/12 or 61/2 22-22mag. I still have them both and have had zero problems at all at any time. Good luck in your quest.

17. WannaBeVagabomd

Im figuring I'll pick up a buckmark at the next gunshow I go to, or maybe a model 41 if I can find a good price. If I don't find a Dan Wesson first.

18. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I'm waiting on mine, looking forward.

19. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

I took my Buckmark to the range last Sunday.

As always, she was sweet!

[​IMG]