.22 shorts in a .22lr.

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Winchester94, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

The only rimfire ammo I've been able to get recently are shorts. I've been wondering if they'd be safe to shoot out of a 1911, Colt Woodsman, and S&W Model 41? I know they won't cycle the action, but are there any other safety concerns?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

They will shoot safely. Just clean the chamber real well before using long or long rifle. The dirt in front of the case mouth will cause the longer cased rounds to stick.

3. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I wondered about that. Do you think there would be any effect on accuracy while shooting the shorts?

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

They are generally slower in velocity, so yes, your bullet drop will be greater than the faster long rifles.

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Or maybe less drop due to the much lighter bullet. Accuracy maybe worse due to the lighter weight bullet but only one way to find that out:)
    Shooting them while it is certainly safe will be a PITA

6. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I may just stick to shooting them out of the 9422 and Diamondback. I was just curious if it'd be worth trying. !

7. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

I have a Winchester 1890 chambered in .22 short, with untold thousands of rounds having gone down the tube in it's one hundred fourteen year's on this earth it still is accurate and fun to shoot. Here is one rifle you do not need muffs as you cannot tell if it has fiired with them.
    The short was very popular at this time period (1900)and was used extensively in shooting galleries or popping a squirrel for the dinner pot. I have a bunch of the ammo and occasionally run some through my Remington 34 that feeds anything i put into it.

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

For awhile many years ago (like 50 years) Remington made 22 shorts called "Rockets". They had a velocity of around 1750 fps. Fast, extremely fast. Fired a 15 grain steel/iron bullet if I remember correctly.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

RemingtonRocket.jpg

Old thread- but brings back memories. Yes, that was a zippy little short- bullet was sintered iron (powder pressed into a mold) and weighed 15 grains. Ammo pack was similar to a pack of Chiclets gum.

10. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Active Member

In the old days, .22 shorts were extremely popular. A common problem with old guns is that early priming was corrosive. Eventually, this eats out the chamber of a .22 long rifle to the point where long rifle brass will expand and stick in the chamber after firing. My High Standard Olympic ISU was chambered for .22 shorts, designed for rapid fire competition and extremely accurate when using match ammo. Shorts, for some reason, are appearing on the dealers' shelves at reasonable prices.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Because of the lower FPE, the normally friendly semi-auto could become a single shot.

12. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

The .22 shorts get a bit of use along with the subsonics here in Australia where a HV round would be a bit dangerous especially when your thinning out the local feral cat population in the neighbourhood when the mongrel things start chewing on the local native bird life. :D

The shorts will definitely change your POI because of the lower velocity and you will have to clean your .22 more regularly.

13. c3shooter

There are a couple of .22 Autos- the Remington 550-1 and the 552 Speedmaster that will handle shorts, longs and long rifles mixed together. My 550-1 rifles will cycle semi auto with CCI CB Longs- and is a quiet as a suppressed rifle.

14. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Is anyone else wanting Remington to start making rocket loads again, this time copper plated? And how about a new updated 550 series to feed them to? :)

15. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I think I remember my dad talking about them, weren't they the cheapest price ammo on the market, i think that is what he used to use at the junkyards to shoot rats with his 04 winchester and maybe what he used to dispatch animals in his traps.

16. c3shooter

A box was cheap- because there were only 28 cartridges in the box! BTW, today, a brick of those Rockets is about $300 to a collector.

17. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

My first good .22 was the Remington 550-1. Yes it utilized the Williams floating chamber and would digest shorts, longs and long rifles. :)

18. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Active Member

When Rockets came out, Marketing around anything "Space" or "Jet" was popular. Grampa had packs of "Rockets" in a drawer in the kitchen. We used them to shoot at billy gar in the creek. The fish were pretty safe.