.22 semiauto pistol

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by apwvsd40ve, May 8, 2014.

1. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

I am seeking opinions/advice on my next firearm purchase. I enjoy having a .22 pistol in the safe as a plinker, range, and utility gun around the house (varmints). I recently let go of a revolver to force a semi auto purchase (haha). After quite a bit of research, I have narrowed down my options to three. They are listed below and I would love to hear what everyone has to say about them. For the record, I know this is a personal decision and have held all three and shot two of them. I am just curious to hear . Of personal experiences from others.
    1. Ruger SR-22 - I am a S&W guy but this one is impressing me.
    2. S&W M&P 22- I have not shot this specific m&p caliber but have read good things.
    3. Walther P-22- sort of the old gold standard in my head but current production arms seem to be getting mixed reviews.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/opinions and I did not search for a similar thread first so I do apologize if this is a re-tread. Thanks again!

2. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

A .22 on steroids

FN 5.7x28

you will never have the feeling with any other pistol like this one. yeee haaaa:D

Attached Files:

3. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

I thank you eagle...but as I said in the op...those three firearms are what I have narrowed my search to so I am really interested in specific experience/opinions with one of those. (I will have to check this one out eventually though lol)

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

5. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

Sorry, couldn't resist.:D

6. therukh

therukh New Member

I know I would like that pistol and almost had one, but couldn't find ammo for it at the time I found the deal for it, and what a deal it was.

7. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

Thank you jfuller I appreciate the intel! And haha eagle

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Of the 3 you Picked, the Ruger is the Best Deal for the $ and it runs. I shot one at our Indoor Range a Few Months Back. But If Your going to have a Walther In There, it should be the PPQ-22 Instead. 4 or 5" Barrel,..your choice. If you are NOT in a Restricted State, you could Buy it Threaded for a suppressor.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

9. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

Thanks for the tip dr. Football. I did read up a little on the ppq-22 but I have not seen any of these in my li c as l area...yet.

10. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I would choose the S&W due to it being the only one that is the .22 decendant of a full-size centerfire. You could use it as a trainer for the 9, 40, or 45. None of the rest have a true big brother. With all that said, my true pick would be either a Ruger Mark III or a Browning Buckmark with bull barrels.

11. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

aandabooks that is sort of my hang up in all of this. I want a dedicated all around .22 but the idea of the M&P is great because it matches my current line. With that said, I really like that Ruger. Tough decision all around..thanks for your input.

12. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

The Ruger is a nice pistol and the only one that I have not heard mention of being ammo picky. Unfortunately, it has a completely different grip design than the centerfire pistols in the SR line.

Have you considered one of the 1911 .22s? Either Colt, GSG or Sig?

13. DrFootball

No worries. ask your LGS to order you one. Vikingdad, MzGrnmnm & I Were at the Walther Press Conference On the First Day of SHOT. We were all very impressed with the slide's ease of motion, and how smooth the Magazine came out and went back in..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

14. levelcross

levelcross New Member

The SR 22 is a great shooter with 40 grain CCI ammo, over 2K rounds thru it and nothing to complain about yet.....except finding ammo.

15. nhjon1980

nhjon1980 New Member

Sr 22. My wife uses hers as her carry gun. Its accurate, light, and cheaper to shoot. She loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

16. County Boy

County Boy New Member

I have three S & W, .22 one is a plinker and the "tackle box" model 2214 and a 22A with a couple of barrels and a red dot scope on it , they are all excellent shooters and never had a problem. Then I just bought a ruger 22/45 with a threaded barrel, I was thinking of maybe putting a suppressor on it at a later date. I'm a Smith and Wesson fan myself, but I used to work for the company up here in Houlton, Maine back in the late 80's and thru the 90's so I'm kinda biased that way . Out of those three you listed I don't think you will go wrong ...so good luck with what you purchase and have a fun

17. DrFootball

PS NB: doing some Pricing on the 5" Model. The high is $499 at Cabelas, ( in stock down in Tempe) and Ruff's in Flagstaff quoted $425 for the Gun and 2 mags., or $475 for the "Kit" with three mags, a kydex holster, cleaning rod and High impact plastic case. The Kits' MSRP is $529..…

18. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Ruger would be my choice

19. DrFootball

The SR22 pistol is a great gun, but the barrel is a little short for Bullseye or Steel Challenge.

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

personally, i am partial to the Ruger semi-auto Mark series of pistols. great ergonomics, very accurate and some are very decently priced.

i absolutely love my Mark III 22/45 Target Model. so far has eaten every ammo i have gotten for it and it works great.