.22 semi-auto pistol

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by ncampbell, Aug 11, 2013.

1. ncampbell

ncampbell New Member

Im looking for an affordable .22 pistol to teach my wife correct grip and shooting technique. I dont want to spend alot on it, but i dont want it to blow up in her hands either. Any ideas?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I am about to get flamed, but here goes.

Get to the nearest place that sells the American Heritage single action revolver in .22lr (and get the .22 mag cylinder).

The same basic hold used on a semi-auto can be applied to a revolver. The single action does not lend one to start the "spray and pray" in learning. Get the basics down. When she can shoot at 5" group with the single action at 15 yards, then you know you have taught her well.

Then graduate her to the semi auto and keep the .22 for plinking.

3. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i have an interest in these american heritage 22 revolvers. do you have one? good experiences?

they just look pretty cool. cheap as dirt, too! :)

4. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i have a 22/45...can't complain. accurate, eats up most bulk ammo.

great gun...sub 300...bit of b***h to take down and clean at first...but it gets easy after awhile.

5. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

What he said. It's a lot of fun to shoot. I took nine to the range for the first time and was quite impressed with its accuracy and easy of shooting. Yes, it is a bear to take down, but I'm told it get used to it after a while. I've yet to see, since I haven't done it since I first did. I bought a 22/45 target, it has replaceable grip panels, a 5.5" bill barrel drilled and tapped and comes with the rail.

6. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

the Ruger SR-22 would be another good choice.

7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

A Browning Buckmark.

But a 22 revolver is better :D

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

+1 on the .22 revolver. For all the reasons stated.

I would add less expensive semi-auto .22s tend to be very finicky about ammo. Revolvers don't have that problem. Which equates to less stress for both of you, while at the range and away.

I own a Bersa Thunder .22. I can't recommend that gun, in good conscience, to anyone, despite its attractive price point. It doesn't point naturally, it is extremely ammo finicky (and we haven't figured out its preferred brand yet), and to top it all off, the extractor broke after maybe about 2000 rounds. It was covered under warranty, so its fixed now, but it still fails to extract prolly 30-50% of each magazine (its only a 10 round magazine so that math isn't hard to figure out). It is a finicky gun, and I can't recommend it. Neither of you will enjoy shooting as much as you should. Oh I almost forgot, I haven't been able to find a spare magazine anywhere for it, for less than $50. I'm not paying that much. I haven't looked very hard, but I have checked several different websites on at least four occasions. As well as two different gun shows.

Find a good priced revolver in .22 and don't look back.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  9. mahall

mahall New Member

I like the Smith 22A semi!! Around 300 new. But like most have said if your just wanted something for training and technique, I would go the nearest dealer and find a decent used revolver!! Most dealers don't sell junk these days, junk meaning unsafe!! Business is to competitive, they want your future business!!

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I do have a single action .22lr.

While the single action .22lr is not "cool", or the latest thing with rails, it does the job of teaching or re-enforcing the basics of handgun shooting.

At the range yesterday, I observed a husband trying to teach his wife how to shoot. It appeared that rather than stress the basics, he just gave her a .22 semi-auto and let her shoot. He did not work on the basics of hold, breath control, aim, etc.... One could see the frustration she was having of not hitting the paper. One thing against her was that she was using a hold that I can only call "reversed". Shooting as if her dominant side was the right, she had her left hand around the grip first and pulling the trigger with the right (which was wrapped over the left). He just let her continue without corrections. So she ended up not enjoying the experience.