.22 Semi-Auto over Bolt Action?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Wheelspin, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Wheelspin

Wheelspin New Member

Ok guys, like I said in introductions I'm a newbie here with a couple of questions for the experienced rifle users among you...

I'm looking to buy my first gun soon and I've pretty much decided on a .22lr rifle for target shooting at the local range. I've been reading up and comparing models and it seems the Ruger 10/22 would be most peoples choice but my question is what are the pros and cons of a Bolt Action rifle over a Semi Auto like the Ruger I'm looking at?

The improved speed and ease of use of the Semi Auto seems to be the obvious advantage but am I missing something with a bolt action? Are they more reliable? durable? Does the bolt action make you slow down and in turn achieve better accuracy?

Or am I looking and trying to compare two completely different rifles meant for different jobs.

Thanks in advance for any replies and wisdom.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Unless you're a PUREST, get the semi-auto.

If you are like the rest of us in the bell curve, auto is the way to go.

Bolt guys are disabled from birth. If your right hand doesn't jerk and go in search of a metal phallus each time you fire a long gun your good to go with a semi.

3. GatorDude

GatorDude New Member

The Bolt Action will make you take your time and make every shot count. A Semi-Auto .22 will eventually lead you to a highly modified Honda Civic with a fin and a tin can muffler... :D

Seriously, a bolt action might be good for teaching kids to shoot and range safety. It's very easy to keep track of the rounds you have and to make sure that the actions are open when the range is cold. Bolt actions are also very easy to clean from the breach. You can just slide the bolt out and make sure it's spiffy. A bolt action might be a teeny tiny tad more accurate out of the box. But, sometimes it's fun to go pop, pop, pop, pop, pop with a semi-auto. If you get a 10/22 you really can accessorize it to do almost anything.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Over all bolt actions are more accurate than semi autos.

I like bolt actions because the 10/22 fanboys are just as bad as the Glock fanboys. The 10/22 can be turned into anything you want. But you take a box stock 10/22 and it will not shoot as good as my box stock 60 year old Remington 511x or my Mossberg M144.

By the time you get it a 10/22 shooting as good as my bolt gun you are going to be able to by 4 of mine.

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

was about to get a 10/22 for Christmas, so I guess I'm a fanboy. Guess
    CA357 is too.

6. Highpower

Highpower New Member

I'm in tango's camp.... :D

If you want to burn up a lot of ammo and have FUN - go with the 10/22.
    If you want to do some semi-serious target shooting, go with a bolt gun.

I don't discriminate and I own a few of each.
    And that's all I have to say about THAT. :p

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  7. Wheelspin

Wheelspin New Member

So I was pretty much right , semi-auto is faster and easier to have rifle range 'fun' with compared to a bolt action being more geared towards the serious target shooter who wants to take his time and make every round count.

btw I'm not saying you semi-auto guys aren't serious about your shooting there, don't want to make enemies before my post count is even in the double figures :D

Guess I need to get to the local gun shop and handle a couple of both. Neither of the local ranges have guns to rent so firing before I buy looks to be out.

8. Highpower

Highpower New Member

A lot depends on your definition of 'fun'. Some folks show up to our local ranges and proceed to empty out a 50 round magazine as fast as they can possibly pull the trigger. To THEM, that is fun.

To ME -- the fun is watching them get immediately tossed from the range, (and banned for life) for doing so..... ;)

#1 Safety
    #2 Fun

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I shoot both bolt guns and semi-auto's. Bolt guns tend to be more accurate and much simpler to clean. Auto's are great for shorter ranges and burning ammo, fast! I've never been a fan of the 10/22, but that is me. A bolt gun would be the better choice for target shooting. Are there semi-auto's that would shoot well? Yes, but not as well as a good bolt action. Good luck in your search.

10. photopro

photopro New Member

Bolt or Semi ??

I would suggest bolt, they are fast enough unless you are a garbage shooter and you are going for ground game. Plus they always seem to be better engineered and constructed, I have a Ruger 77/22 which is MILES better than the Ruger 10/22 and the resale value is higher.

photopro

11. Joe M

Joe M New Member

I own both and enjoy shooting both. I like my 10/22 as much as I like my Savage MK II-FVT bolt rifle.

Both have their place and both fit the needs of my shooting.

I have the TSR200 Aperture Sight setup on my 10/22 along with using both the 10 round and high capacity (25 round) magazines for this rifle. This is my all around relaxation rifle for shooting when I don't have to be perfect - or near perfect. Though I would use it in any competition where speed was/is required.

My Savage MK II-FVT is setup with a 20 MOA Base, 6-24x42 Mil-Dot Scope, Sling & Bipod. This is my rifle for when I have to be perfect or near perfect and I'm not under the clock for any reason when shooting. I also enjoy shooting out to 200 yards with this rifle, and sometimes out to 250 & 275 yards. I find it relaxing as well, and if circumstances dictated I'd use it in a competition if I needed it.

What it really comes down to is what you want, and what you feel you may be using this new rifle for, now - or in the future.

Perhaps basing your pick on what the CMP .22 Rimfire Competitions offer, as well as the Appleseed Project is not a bad idea when trying to decide? :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  12. Wheelspin

Wheelspin New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I was hoping a few who own and shoot both regularly would chime in and you own two of the models I've been reading up on Joe :)

I think I'm leaning towards a bolt action and the Savage MK II and the Marlin 925 both seem to fit the bill, anyone else have an opinion on either to share?

There's also the Mossberg 802 Plinkster, anyone here own one? good, bad?

13. Joe M

Joe M New Member

Just a little food for thought.

I was going to get the Marlin 925 for my son but I could not find a 20 MOA Scope Base for this rifle. EGW has 20 MOA Scope Bases for the Savage MK II... Using a 20 MOA Scope Base will allow you to extend your range out to and beyond 200 yards if your shooting should lead you in that direction someday.

Otherwise, I think the Marlin 925 is a great rifle and has a very good feel to it. I also bet it's one accurate rifle as well!:)

14. Wheelspin

Wheelspin New Member

Had to do some online research to find out what a 20 MOA base is, told you I'm a newbie at this :p

So without a suitable base my shooting range would be limited to the 100/150 yard distance. Hmmm. I hadn't even thought of shooting anything further than 100 yards to be honest, I guess I wrongly assumed a .22lr would be too small a caliber for real long range stuff.

I will be getting a scope of some kind with the rifle. I wear glasses so my eyesight isn't the greatest so this is good to know, thanks.

SO, this brings up another question then. With a suitable scope/base combo and a high velocity round what kind of range is a .22LR capable of?

15. Joe M

Joe M New Member

When shooting beyond 50 yards if you want good accuracy you should use subsonic ammo as it does not transition in flight like the high velocity and standard rounds do (depending on your elevation) once they pass 50 yards - at which point somewhere along the line they will wobble while transitioning to subsonic causing erratic accuracy results beyond 50 yards. So even at 100 yards you are better off using subsonic ammo.

Shooting out to 200 yards it is a must to use at least a 20 MOA Scope Base as there will be at least 27 MOA drop, and sometimes more, upwards of 30 MOA drop. Even with a Mil-Dot Scope without a 20 MOA Base you would not be able to reach 200 yards effectively using the bottom Mil-Dot without holding over the target.

Over on another website we have quite a bit of info on this long range .22LR shooting using the 20 MOA Base and Mil-Dot Scope. Your best accuracy will come from being able to put your cross-hairs on the target rather then trying to hold over with the lower dot, or in some cases with the lower dot on the target at 200 yards. Again, the elevation at which you shoot comes into play as well. I'll PM you the website if you'd like to do further research.

So, if you feel that long range .22LR shooting might be in your furture you would be better off getting a rifle that a 20 MOA Scope Base can be mounted on. It's a whole lot better then trying to shim the scope to 20 MOA.:)

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I shoot a lot of 22 LR (anarchist-in-training was helping me clean out the jeep, found 700 rounds of 22 ammo in there) Bolt, semi, lever, and pump. Yeah, the semis are fun for plinking. For SERIOUS target shooting, it is going to be a bolt gun. Besides accuracy, simplicity, ease of cleaning, the one advantage that the bolt gun will have over MOST semis- it will eat whatever you can fit in the chamber.

Most common complaint of the semi owner is "fail to feed" or "fail to eject". Some are downright finicky about what they will digest. When the rain stops this afternoon, I'll be headed for the range. With a bolt gun, and at least 6 different brands of ammo. And they are ALL gonna feed in the Mossberg 46 and the Mossberg 44US.

With some careful shopping, you can probably find a nice USED bolt gun and a USED semi in good shape for what you will spend on a new 10/22 (by the time you finish buying accessories to make the 10/22 shoot that well :rolleyes:)

17. Highpower

Highpower New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Wheelspin

Wheelspin New Member

Well today I took a trip to the local Gander Mountain today and got to handle a few of the rifles I've been trying to compare online, very interesting trip.

I've decided it's a bolt action for me. LOVE that action in operation, very positive and satisfying. Not sure if it's the feel or the sound but it's the only choice for me now. Plus I like what you're all telling me about the rifle and it's accuracy and ease of cleaning, thanks guys :)

I also found I'm not a fan of the synthetic stocks. They look great in all the photos I've seen online but personally I don't like how they feel so it's got to be a laminate wood stock for me.

Still haven't decided on a make or model yet but I'm a few steps closer now :p

19. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

That was always my biggest complaint with the Mossy 702 and 802. Who knows, for the price maybe I should skipped the ruger and just got the 702. Keep in mind that the Mossberg 702 (and I belive the 802 as well) are manufactured in Brazil. It may not be a big deal to you or others but it effected my buy.

For the record, I own a mossy 500!

20. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe New Member

just another 10/22 "fanboy" sounding off. Been killing small game since i was about 5 with it... plenty accurate for me.