.22 semi-auto at the range???

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by newguy22, Jan 6, 2011.

1. newguy22

newguy22 New Member

I am looking to but a .22 semi auto for target shooting at the range. Can someone give me a tip on what to look for in a gun? I don't want to spend too much but I don't want to spend too little. I have looked at the Sig "Mosquito" but I don't know anyone that has shot it. Help!

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Myself, I own an S&W model 17 revolver. If I was looking for a semi .22, it would either be a Ruger or Browning.

One of the big reasons I like my S&W is it will eat any .22 ammo without a hiccup. Most .22's are notoriously finicky as to ammo. You don't have to worry about that with revolvers.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got a pink mosquito. havent found anything that wont cycle in it as sig send a low recoil spring and a high recoil spring for shooting high and low velocity rounds. the trigger is total and utter crap. but overall i like it for a plinker. if it had a better trigger it would easily be the best 22lr pistol out there.

4. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I won a nice .22 on this here site that shoots great. I also shoot a walther p.22 that shoots great.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Generally you can't go wrong with a Ruger Mark or a Browning Buckmark. These are basically the rimfire semi-autos that are considered the benchmarks against which all others are compared. The guns like the Walther P22 and Sig Mosquito (I have both) are much more ammo picky and are considered plinkers versus target pistols.

To echo what ScottA said, a quality .22 revolver is great as they will shoot even Remington Thunderbolt ammo. The problem is they ain't cheap - if you find one for less than $500 used - you done good. I bought this S&W 617 new about 2 years ago and it set me back about $650 (not including the wood stocks and fiber optic front sight)...

[​IMG]

I prefer the Ruger to the Buckmark and here's my Mark III Hunter:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  6. remington7mm

remington7mm New Member

i shoot a walter p22 this past weekend, i would buy one. little on the smaller side if you have a bigger hand but didnt have any problems with it and ate 5 diffferent types of ammo and did glitch once. small amount of recoil but not like a 9mm.

7. steve666

steve666 New Member

I have a Browning Buckmark that is a great for a not too expensive gun. I also have a Walther P22 that is a very good plinker, as is the SIG Mosquito. For serious shooting I have a High Standard Supermatic Trophy, but that is getting into some serious money.

8. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

+1 for the Ruger Mk III. I have the competition model, and it's a tack driver even in my inexperienced hands. The Buckmark is a close second.

9. Desdenova

Desdenova New Member

Definitely check out the Ruger Mark series

I have a Mark II 50th Anniversary, it's an absolutely amazing gun. Reliable, accurate, and comfortable

10. Doug1627

Doug1627 New Member

I shoot a ruger Mark III. Picked it up New in box with a soft zipper case and 3mags for $275 w/ tax.

11. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

I will add that I also like .22 revolvers,I have a S&W mod. 17 and a mod.34
    how ever the question was semi-auto.
    My start .22 was a .22 semi-auto was a Vostok (U.S.S.R) I have had and used it for 44 years,it still gets a lot of use and has been trouble free.
    Unfortunately you will probably never see one.
    My serious .22 is a Hammerli 207 International.
    Now that I have run on, if I were going to start now I expect I would go with a Ruger,any that I have used could stand a little trigger work but they shoot good.
    Dan

12. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I vote for Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark series.

13. GSGMan

GSGMan New Member

I have a Walther P22 and it eats whatever I feed it. When my GSG gets picky with ammo I just put it through the Walther with no problems. They can get a bit pricy though.

14. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

While cruising the gun shops yesterday, I happened across this beauty... a brand new SIG/Hammerli Trailside 22LR. It came home with me. These little .22 pistols typically sell for mucho Dinero. I got this one at wholesale.

Attached Files:

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

GSG 1911-22. ~$300.

[​IMG]

16. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

100_0958.jpg There's always the Colt ACE conversion for your 1911 frame.

17. newguy22

newguy22 New Member

Desdenova,

Right after writing this post I started to get serious about looking for a new .22 pistol. Looks like I did what you did, I picked up the same gun. Ruger Mark III 50th Anniversary. I have taken it to the range several times and I love it! Feels great, fires smooth and seems to be rather accurate. I can't tell how accurate yet being a new gun to me but so far so good.

Thanks.

18. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

me personally I like the Colt M4 in .22 long rifle you have to adjust the spring on the bolt other wise it will jam, not a lot but more then usual. Everything is to the same size as the regualer M4 but it's just chambered in .22, I thinks its a pretty fun range gun and a pretty good muskrat gun.

19. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The Ruger is a great 22. I like the Buckmarl trigger a little more but after I made a couple mods to my Ruger it's become my favorite rimfire pistol. They are fine as is but I lucked into a Tactical Solutions barrel/receiver for it and not it can keep up with my rifles at 50 yards.

The more you shoot that Ruger the more you will like it.