.22 Rimfire & Successful Variations

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by SGWGunsmith, May 17, 2018.

1. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

There's absolutely no doubt that the .22 Long Rifle cartridge is the longest surviving version that's still with us. Even though there may be a messily few pitiful souls, who try to argue against just about everything posted in these forums, they can't argue that some success has arrived from the variations of the steadfast .22 Long Rifle round.
    I have quite a few of the .22 Winchester WRF and .22 Remington Special rounds that are interchangeable between those makers pump action, tube fed rifles, but, the .22 Long Rifle cartridge won that battle quite a while ago.
    Here are the currently produced .17 and .22 rimfire cartridges still being produced, the 5 MM Remington has periodic production, but they are still available:

[​IMG]

It was posted that the .17 Aguilla and High Standard are the same cartridge. Well sorta. They have the same shape case, but the bullet involved with the .17 Aguilla has a long tapered ogive and needs to jump almost 1/8 inch to engage the rifling. They work, but are not as accurate.
    As a side note: ALL of the .17 Mach 2 ammunition is made by Hornady, they just use different colored polymer tips for each various brand selling this round.

joe45c and primer1 like this.
  2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

You missed the CB longs and shorts. And don't they still make regular 22 shorts and longs? Also I think they still make runs of the 22 Win Auto. Also many 22 BB caps are imported into the USA.

SGWGunsmith likes this.

3. SGWGunsmith

I just left those off the list. Frankly, I haven't sold any .22 Short, or Long ammunition in quite some time, mainly because nobody asked for it. Most all .22 rimfire rifling these days is 1:16 twist rate, the Shorts & Longs are better off with 1:20 due to the shorter length of those bullets.
    The BB and CB caps are more of a novelty these days. I tried some of those in a Colt .22 Revolver and some bullets were key-holing when, and if, they hit the tag board.

[​IMG]

4. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Buddy and I taught our oldest daughters to shoot when little..........using a cut down trainer w 2.5X Weaver........and bricks of Remington CB.

Lengels, early 90's........think $15 a brick.

I hear ya on the rimfire obsolescence......why I haven't bought the 17 WSM.
    Buddy has a 17Mach 2 and loves it, but squirrels away a bunch of ammo when they get around to making it.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  5. joe45c

joe45c New Member

I shoot .22 short quite a bit. I'd shoot it more but it's hard to find in my area. I shoot it in my 1890 win. pump. Neat little round. Usually keep the distance to 25 yds.

Danwin22 and SGWGunsmith like this.
  6. SGWGunsmith

I did reline a Model 1890 in .22 Short a few years back. Went with a 1:20 twist liner for that round. They are indeed a neat rifle.

Danwin22, alsaqr and joe45c like this.
  7. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

One of my Browning automatic .22s is chambered for shorts. It's my favorite squirrel gun.

SGWGunsmith and joe45c like this.
  8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I have one rifle that shoots CCI cb longs pretty accurately. Now that is about all I shoot in that rifle. Back when the price was cheap I bought several cartons.

alsaqr likes this.
  9. SGWGunsmith

Any of you folks remember these? 20 round boxes of shorts. We called 'em "Chiclets" .22's 'cause they were packaged like the gum. If I remember correctly, it was 50¢ for two boxes.
    [​IMG]

10. joe45c

joe45c New Member

Nope, must have been before my time. But i do have a whole bunch of Liberty Half Dollars.

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I think those were the fastest 22's ever made at 1750 fps if I remember correctly. Steel 15 grain bullets. I remember them in stores at $.69 per box. I do have a box or two of the Remington boxes.

12. SGWGunsmith

These packages contain "lead" bullets. I don't remember that sort of velocity and velocity is not noted on either box.

13. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

14. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Just try a magnet on them! No need to open the box.
    A quick internet search will also likely answer that.