22 Revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Hendoproof, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hendoproof

Hendoproof New Member

Hey guys,

I was looking into picking up a 22 revolver, preferably single and double action, for a cheap plinking gun, and to use as a gun to help my family learn how to shoot with. From the research I've done I like the Ruger SP101 but can't really find them in stock anywhere online. The Charter Pathfinder combo I found was intriguing but from what I hear, the 22lr rounds aren't as accurate as the magnum because of the bore size.

What are your thoughts on revolvers that have both cylinders for .22lr and .22wmr? Also, what .22 revolvers would you recommend in general?(Heard so/so things about Taurus, kind of leaning away from them). Price cap I would say is probably around $500 tops.

Thanks

2. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

For 500 bucks you can find a shooter grade smith and wesson k-22 master piece .They are called a model 17 if made after 1957.You will find no other more accurate or smoother 22 revolver.Any convertable revolver the bore is for 22 magnum slightly larger bore and the long rifle shoots a little less accurate than through a standard 22lr bore.But it does not mean it flops down the barrel and is a inaccurate piece of junk either.I have a ruger single six and the long rifle is accurate for plinking to the point you can hit 12 gauge hulls at 25 yards with it.It just is not a hair splitting super accurate gun like my smith and wessons.Unless your heavy into super accuracy as in competion a convertable is well within hunting and plinking accuracy and more accurate than many shooters can shoot one.In other words they are not inaccurate just not acurate to the extreme.
    I am not familiar with any double action revolvers being sold with both a mag and long rifle cylinder.The ruger single six is single action and comes with both. They truly are a sweet little gun and i love mine might look hard at one of them.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You can get the Pathfinder in 22lr only if you just want a 22lr. MSRP is $412 and the combo MSRP is $548. The combo wont be quite as accurate but is a nice feature. Is it worth the extra money to you? Street prices are usually lower than MSRP. Charter Arms makes a decent gun. It is made in USA and has a lifetime warranty.

4. Hendoproof

Hendoproof New Member

Thanks for the info guys. Im leaning towards that pathfinder in .22lr. The price point seems pretty spot on. In the mean time I'm going to search for a deal on a S&W or Ruger.

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

get an older H & R convertible. its SA, DA. has both cylinders, 22lr and 22wmr. i love mine. its not an accurate,fly killing pistol as previously stated but it is fun to plink with. and im sure you can find one for way below your price point.

heres an example
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=283203415

6. Hendoproof

Hendoproof New Member

7. Hendoproof

Hendoproof New Member

I've been looking at some H&R's. Any experience with their customer service? I hear Charter is pretty good, but I haven't searched about H&R customer service

8. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Smith & Wesson makes a nice 22LR. I like the older Model 17 K22 Masterpiece...sweet revolver.

The Ruger SP 101 4" would be a nice one too, but seem to be in short supplu. But they will go for new less than the Model 17 used.

The 22 LR /Mag combo is not for me. The 22 Mag cyclinder will see a lot of range bag time because the ammo is so expensive compared to 22 LR. IMHO, a single caliber/load gun is a better way to go.

9. Hendoproof

Hendoproof New Member

S&W's are very nice from what I'm seeing, but they are a bit out of my price range. However, I seem to be looking into spending about $500... the way I see it usually is if I'm spending that much already, why not just throw in $200 more and get the nicer S&W. Right now from what I've seen its between a Pathfinder in .22lr or go big and get the S&W for about $700. You're definitely right about the SP101's being in short supply. Everywhere I've looked they're out of stock. The only thing I kind of don't like is sights on the SP101.

Payday is tomorrow... already spent the check..

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

11. Hendoproof

Hendoproof New Member

I have another question...

What are your takes on the models we've been talking about but in a shorter barrel / snub nose version? Good for learning on or should I stick with at least the 4" barrel first? Thanks

12. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

Why dont you surf through guns of america, guns international. Shooters exchange. Auction sites gunbroker auction arms and you can find a k-22 for less than 700.The ruger you want is going to take awhile to get because of rugers huge back log. They got hit hard for those models and there new 1911 along with record sales this year on all there models.With the current administration in office and the new elections comming up people are making a rush on guns again.

13. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

Barrel length has no bearing on accuracy.A bullet flys straight out of any length tube. But short barrels make for short sight pictures.The gun is also lighter and balances different. With practice a snub barreled gun can be shot as accurately as a long barrel. For a new shooter a longer barrel is way easier to master.Short barrels are not as powerful as longer barrels and there for the bullet has more drop at distance.So being able to hit with a less than four inch barrel takes a lot of practice and different hold over on targets.

14. Donn

Donn Active Member

Ruger Single-Six .22lr/.22mag convertible.

15. Hendoproof

Hendoproof New Member

I think I'll be sticking with the longer barrels. It'll be easier for more people thanks.

And Donn, I've looked at them, but I wanted something in double action :)

16. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

H & R are older as i said. but for 200 or so you get a great plinker. ive had no problems with mine. and its old as dirt. shoots fine. leaves lots of extra money for ammo. or a second pistol

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Well that just ruins it. The S&W 17 was my second gun. That is one I'll never get rid of. I'm thinking about a trigger job on it and lighten it up a bit.

It is excellent.

18. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I am hard pressed to come up with a good reason for a snubbie .22lr. I doubt I would ever buy one. I would go with 4" at least.

19. phildenton

phildenton New Member

A snubbie would fit well in a pocket or an ankle holster, as a backup gun or if circumstances require deep concealment.

I have a 22lr beretta 21a just for such times

Last edited: May 4, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.