22 pump

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by ZachRome, Jan 2, 2014.

1. ZachRome

ZachRome New Member

Most reliable and accurate 22 pump action rifle... I don't want to spend a lot of money but something that's just fun to shot and isn't gonna jam. Any suggestions are fine with me

2. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I have a Remington 572 fieldmaster. I don't know that it is the most accurate or reliable pump .22 on the market but It is a lot of fun to shoot.

3. ZachRome

ZachRome New Member

Changed my mind. Accuracy is not a huge concern your probably not gonna find many tack drivers

4. magnumman

magnumman New Member

The 572 is plenty accurate, don't get me wrong. I use it for plinking mostly. I have no problem hitting beer cans at 100 yards. If you put it on a bench and shot paper you would probably find it's not as "accurate" as others. But I guess it depends what you want to do with it.

5. Tinstar

Tinstar New Member

I LOVE my Henry .22LR Pump! I have lots of Henry rifles and I guess my favorite is my Henry Golden Boy .22LR, but as far as a pump rifle goes...the Henry will be hard to beat! Very accurate and well made...and every bit made in America! As you will see whenever someone posts about Henry, the best customer service going! The CEO is very personable and will answer your correspondence himself! He is terrific! GREAT COMPANY! The pump reminds me of the arcade game pump rifles at the old time fairs I used to go to as a kid. Fun, fun, and more fun!

6. DocWard

DocWard New Member

I don't know what they go for used, since they don't make them new any longer, but I've found the Browning BPR to be quite nice.

7. string1946

string1946 New Member

I've got a Rossi 62 I really like. Its pretty much a copy of the Winchester 62. The don't make them any more but I see them gunbroker for around $350. Its a take down model and for those interested in such things, the action doesn't have an interrupter so you can hold the trigger back it will fire as fast as you pump the action.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Attached Files:

8. ZachRome

ZachRome New Member

Sweet! Just what I was looking for. Thank you

9. string1946

string1946 New Member

Your welcome. They were made with round or octagon barrels with the round usually selling for a little less. Fun gun.
    Also after Taurus bought Rossi they made the same gun for a while as the Taurus model 62.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  10. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I screwed up a few shows ago and let a .22 mag Browning pump slip by :(

11. 1911er

1911er New Member

I have an old model 12 Remington breakdown that I absolutely love it was in pretty bad shape when I got it. Someone had put the breechblock in backwards years ago and it had sat in someone's mountain cabin in the rafters and had lots of surface rust. I sanded the steel all down with 800 grit then 1200 grit wet dry paper then oiled it good doesn't look like much but love the way it shoots

12. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

If you look around hard enough I'm sure an original Winchester model 1890, or model 61 and 62 can be found in decent shape for slightly more than a Rossi, which is also a nice rifle. These rifles are excellent dependable and accurate shooters. There are no finer .22 pumps, but that's just my opinion.

Growing up in Brooklyn I shot many of these rifles at the Coney Island shooting gallery and believe me when I tell you that those gallery guns were beat to hell old rifles that had thousands and thousands of rounds shot thru them and they were still dependable. There wasn't even any finish remaining on them and they worked like the Ever Ready Bunny. I spent lots of time there as a kid and never seen any have the slightest problem.

For years I purchased many guns and as I got older placed the .22 on the back burner even though I always wanted one of those gallery guns. Finally, while at a gun shop several years ago in Pa. I was offered a Winchester model 62 mfg in 1937 that I just couldn't pass up that was beautiful and engraved, though not factory, for $450+ tax. I considered that price to be hwy robbery by me without wearing a mask. Hell, that was close to what a Rossi cost at the time. I've had tons of fun shooting it without a hiccup and still can't keep my hands off of it. Definitely try to get an original, cause they are out there and you won't ever regret it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

I have a now discontinued model .22mag Taurus 72 stainless carbine.

One hell of a rimfire for the money, only plastic on it was the butt plate, yes it has us import mandated safety doo dads, I dont pay them any mind at all, I love the materials, machining is really good for a mass produced rimfire.
    It has enuf heft to be a stable offhand shooter, its still hardly broken in yet, only had about 9 boxes through it.
    one the most accurate rimfires out the box Id ever seen.
    id have swore my clone must have sighted it in at the factory.

My grandfather had a model 1890 Winchester, as I recall it shot just fine, it had a chamber burr from someone in the past dry firing it, the burr caused the fired case to stick in the chamber, due to that it never saw much use, as far as I know my eldist uncle still has it along with grandpas Remington model 10 pump shotgun.

14. Rex in OTZ

A funny observation about rimfires, just because a rimfire may be short does not make it inaccurate, I have a cricket kids size bolt action that for some reason can cast a shot flatter and further than any of my other .22lr rim fires, for extreme distance shooting the cricket can milk more range out the same ammo used in my remington 522, Ruger 10/22, Marlin 110, and Marlin 39. How is that possible??

The same with the stubby Taurus 72 carbine, same ammo it out distances my Savage 30M by a good margin.
    Is it possible once rimfire barrel length extends beyond a certain length it hampers long distance range?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  15. 1911er

1911er New Member

I finally ran the numbers on my model 12 all matching numbers the serial # places it in the 1917 manufacture run I wish I had it here I would show some pictures . But its in the other safe at my other house down south. Keep safe but keep shooting.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

22lr gets its max velocity in 16"-18" depending on the barrel. Any longer and it starts to slow down. A standard velocity in a 24" barrel is very quiet as all the powder burned off 6" back.
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

17. Rex in OTZ

funny thing about std velocity .22's

I can say some folks think they are crafty with silencers/ sound moderators/ supressors what ever you call them all sound like trouble, wither with maintaining them or with the law.
    when you take a old long barreled .22 rimfire, load it using std velocity, ammo esp std velocity shorts or cb caps.
    The level of report is on par with that of a air rifle.

Low and slow seems to turn in some really surprising results in accuracy, turning up the heat high velocity pushes the envelope with ok accuracy, there are a few rimfires that hyper velocity works turn in fine groups and some rifles using std velocity ammo that turn in dime size groups at 25yds and cant hit the target backing using hyper velocity rounds.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  18. BVAL

BVAL New Member

I'll put a second on the 572 had one for over 25 years, fun rifle. Saw one the other day in a pawn shop, may go back this week before Christmas to pick up another one. It is in great shape,,,,can get it < $300.00

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

19. Rex in OTZ

I had a Remington 572 Fieldmaster a few years ago, like a darn fool, I traded it off, It warnt till later you dont appriciate what you had till its gone, it was in slightly used to relatively new condition, it was one the best off hand shooters Id shot till I bought that Taurus 72.

20. Rex in OTZ

NOBEL 33A, 325 and 325G, H
    Cooey 35

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q7kggwXr4kQ[/ame]

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pmsg7UMg3Bc[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014