.22 or more?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by wedontneedroads, Apr 16, 2011.

1. wedontneedroads

wedontneedroads New Member

I came across a gator today while fishing and decided I need a little more protection with me than the knife I carry. I own a Beretta .22 cal, so I'm thinking of getting a holster to start carrying it. But now I'm wondering if I should instead look at upgrading to a Beretta 9mm (I just like the feel of that brand). I don't plan to use the gun for recreational use; just something to carry when I'm in the wilderness. I'd love to hear your opinions.

2. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Gators creep me the eff out. Carrying a 22lr wouldn't even cross my mind. I'd go with at least a caliber that starts with a 4 or 5.

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I have a picture in my mind of a .22 bouncing off the gator's head with slightly more umph than a BB gun.

Get the 9.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I think 'gators have pretty tough hides. I'm too new to guns to know what caliber would be good but I can almost definitely say a .22 is too small.

5. WDB

WDB New Member

Good post, swing by the new member thread and tell us a bit about you. BTW there is a show called swampmen or something like that, seems they dispatch gators on a regular basis with a 22. If it was me I would would want something a bit more.

6. snyder77

snyder77 New Member

a 22 could work maybe. Ive heard of 22s entering one side of a skull and bouncing around inside. personaally Id go with the 9 or 45.

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

A 9mm might work fine. But if I wanted a common caliber for these sort of circumstances, a 357mag would be at the top of the list.

I'm certainly no hunting/ballistics/gator expert, but I would be a little concerned about a slower round like a 45acp on tough skinned animal like a gator.

This might actually be one of those rare situations where a Taurus Judge/SW Governor (45lc/410ga) would be quite useful.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have a .357 revolver and I was going to say I think it could easily kill a 'gator. But I was afraid to say it because I wasn't sure. But here's two votes for a .357. :D

9. hogrider

hogrider New Member

I agree with the .357 suggestion. Wouldn't go with anything less in gator territory.

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I watch that show too, pretty entertaining. From what they say on the show there is only one spot at the back of skull, where it meets the neck, that a shot will enter the brain. Some of the fisherman say that shooting it anywhere else just angers the gator :eek:

11. Nicodemus

Nicodemus New Member

Those guys had the gator trapped and they were up in a boat while shooting a .22 rifle at it.

Trying to get a shot at the back of the skull when one is coming at you with jaws open would be a bit unnevring with a .22 pistol..... Get a bigger gun!

12. ScottA

I would imagine the reason those guys use a .22 is to preserve the alligator hide. That isn't something Joe fisherman needs to be concerned about. I bet if you had a chance to ask them what they would prefer to have if they weren't concerned about selling the alligator hide, you'd get a different answer.

13. wedontneedroads

Great insight, I really appreciate it. I'm not familiar with every suggestion that was made here, so it looks like I need to look around a little more before I choose. I'm quite used to seeing gators in the water and for the most part you'd have to be a real dimwit to be in danger of an attack, whether in boat or on the shore, because they keep to themselves unless provoked. But when I was walking down a narrow dirt path and saw numerous tracks of where they had been crossing, then saw one in close proximity out of the water, I got nervous. Not familiar with rentals at local gun ranges, so I'm off to Bass Pro to check out a few of the suggestions that have been made here. Thank you.

EDIT: For those who suggested a .357, is there a particular semi-auto model I should look into?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  14. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Desert Eagle for .357 Mag & Glock or Sig for .357 Sig.

15. utf59

utf59 New Member

A .22 will piss a gator right off, but it's a fair bet to make him leave. Get something bigger.

The .357 magnum (not .357 SIG) was designed as a revolver round, which means it has a rim at the base. Rimmed rounds are difficult to stack well, often leading to feed problems when used in semiautomatic firearms. The only two semiautos that I'm aware of chambered in .357 magnum are the Desert Eagle and the Coonan. I think there may be a thread on here about the Coonan — they just recently resumed production. For .357 magnum, I personally would go with a revolver.

Once you get into hand-cannon rounds, though, you have to be even more careful about overpenetration and misses, plus follow-up shots are more difficult.

Do you have many bears down there?

16. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Coonan

Coonan - Welcome to Coonan!

Officially on my short list.

17. ScottA

Sure. A Ruger SP101. ;)

18. wedontneedroads

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a particular .357 revolver you'd recommend? After doing some research, it seems much more reliable than a semi.

And yes, there are definitely bears in the area. Those and gators are the primary reasons I'm going to start carrying when I'm deep in the wilderness.

19. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Well if you got bears and gator I would suggest 458SOCOM - 1 round puts em down ;)

20. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Think they use a small caliber to save the hides they are harvesting...if I were saving my hide I'd want a bigger bullet..:D Besides, those Cajuns are f'n crazy...:eek: