22. Magnum Revolver Questions

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Birchhatchery, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

i am looking for a good revolver 6 shooter in a 22. mag i want it for plinkin Self defense and more so coon hunting anyone no of a good brand to buy a new one any words of wisdom is apreciated thank you

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Single action - Ruger Single Six
    Double action - Smith and Wesson

Don't waste your valuable time and money on anything else.

3. phildenton

phildenton New Member

many fine choices, choosing one depends on what exactly you want [ie: sa or da] and your price range.
    sa: herritage rough rider 22 combo $200, made in usa. my first pistol, very reliable, accurate, 6.5" is perfectly balanced.
    if you can afford the ruger than get it.
    da: very little personal experience with any .22 da wheelgun.

4. mcb

mcb New Member

I have a Ruger Single Six with 22mag and 22 lr cylinders. Great shooter and indestructible.

5. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

I've had an old model 3 screw single six in 22mag for years and never had a problem with it. Get one and it will last forever. Best regards Dick

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

These 4 posters said it all.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If you can afford it ---------nuff said :cool:

8. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

ya expensive for that kind of price i could by a 38 or a 357 i really have not alot experience with handguns i no i dont want a pistol i want a revolver i was more looking for something that would not break the bank with ammo i also wanted something with not alot of recoil as i like to shoot alot but i would not no how much recoil a 38 or 357 has any opinions also i want a revolver with a longer barrel so i no the recoil wont be as bad with that i dont want a small relover that i can hide under my arm

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  9. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

There are some alright double action .22 mag revolvers,but they are usually expensive.The Ruger single six convertible 22LR/22Mag is less expensive and tougher,you could throw it against a tree with no issues,solid gun.Plus I know you'll appreciate the 22LR cylinder that it comes with since the ammo is 80% cheaper than the mags.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

My GP100 doesn't recoil much with .38special loads from wally's. It has a 6" barrel that helps reduce recoil by weight & leverage. It also has squishy grips to reduce felt recoil. I paid $400 for it new but long displayed. When i shoot .357mag rounds, there is noticeably more recoil. http://www.bulkammo.com/handgun/bulk-.38-spl-ammo Ammo isn't horribly expensive, but it isn't .22lr. Of course, .22mag isn't all that cheap either http://www.bulkammo.com/rimfire/bulk-.22-wmr-ammo

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  11. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

good points anyone no anythang about 17 hmr handguns

12. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Technically speaking, a revolver is a type of pistol. What you mean is that you do not want a semi-auto pistol, [unless you want a revolver-carbine, lol]

the herritage can be had for $200 new, get the 6.5" barrel, I think you'll like it.

13. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

If you are interested in used , H&R made many models, and barrel lengths of their 22/22 mag convertible, as well as a couple 22 mag only revolvers.
    No longer made but if you watch the online auctions, you can find some really nice ones out there, and they wont break the bank.
    Well built, and good shooters.
    Here's a pic of my convertibles, only one set of doubles in the pic.
    As you can see, there are many choices out there.

[​IMG]

14. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

i like to heritage revolvers in .22 mag and .22 lr do the cylinders come all out the way out to load or do they just pop to the side?

15. Bigcountry74

Bigcountry74 New Member

Is it possible to find a .22LR/.22Mag convertables in double action??

16. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Big Country,
    Yes, if you are interested in the H&R's, they are all double action revolvers.
    That is one of the reasons I prefer them!
    I seldom shoot them in double action, but it is nice to have the option, which you don't have with the Ruger, or Heritage.
    Don't know of any presently made convertibles that are double action.

17. Bigcountry74

Bigcountry74 New Member

Alright thanks ill have to look into it.

18. franklin67

franklin67 New Member

I have an Arminus 22 mag 8-shot revolver that I got used for $110 about 2 years ago. Old gun made around 1967 but it shoots fine and its a fun plinker. I have other guns for home defense, but Id use it for that in a pinch.

19. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Exactly my opinion also.

20. Hammerdown

Hammerdown New Member

Hello Bigcountry74
    To Answer your question Yes. S&W Made their Model 48 .22 Magnum double action revolver with both cylinders. They also used to fit prior made model 48's in .22 W.M.R. Caliber with an auxillary .22 L.R. Cylinder, but sadly they do not offer it any more. They are not abundant but can be located. I found the one shown below a few years ago. it is a First Year model 48 that was made in December 1959 the very same Year that Winchester released the .22 Magnum Cartridge. I looked long and hard for this first year model 48 with both cylinders with it... Hammerdown

[​IMG]