22.mag good for

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SingleLiberty24, Feb 6, 2012.

1. SingleLiberty24

SingleLiberty24 New Member

Hat would a 22. Mag be good for to hunt with and it a mt. Lion was less than 20 yards away would it work

2. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I would not hunt a Mountain Lion with a .22 Mag. In fact most states have a minimum caliber for hunting certain game. A .22 is very unlikely to be good for anything other than very small game(I.E squirrels). If you try to get within 20 yards of a Mountain Lion and shoot him with a .22 mag you're likely to get yourself hurt or killed. I would plan on buying a new rifle in a much larger caliber for predatory game.

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

22 mag is good for small game/varmints only. If you are w/in 20 yards of a cougar you are more than likely in for a world of hurt. If not you will be if you shoot the sumb*&%$ w a 22 mag. There is a thread on 22 mag uses already.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

4. SingleLiberty24

I shot a prarie dog with the 22 mag right in the head that was the only thing stoking out of the hole he disappeared like Houdini

5. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Guides often use the .22 Mag. to kill Mtn. Lions. Lions are treed and held at bay by hounds. The lions have very small lungs and tree rather fast. The hunters get close and shoot them thru the lungs. The .22 Mag is deadly on a cat. I have shot them with a .357 Mag but it damages the pelt too much.;)

6. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Are they the same size as the 100-150lb cats in CA ? I was on the thread about 22 Mag and was aware, in the right hands, it could harvest deer but large cats is asking a lot from a 40 gr. projectile.

Yet, dead cats don't read ballistic charts and the Weatherby founder dropped African game w a 257 Wea. - no one thought that was possible until he did it. Once again hammering home the old adage about bullet placement being job # 1.

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Bigger cats usually. And yes they work very well for em bc iv seen guides use em a couple times for cats. One guide i know even uses an atlatl on occasion......i dont hunt w him anymore.

8. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Mtn Lions are the same size any where depending on food and age. I took a 150 lb female on the Platte River some years ago. This was not a trophy lion. A Mtn. Lion is not that difficult to kill. I think years of watching Disney movies has fooled many nonhunters.:rolleyes:

9. SingleLiberty24

Cool because that is what I love to carry when I go hunting to finish off the animal and if a predictor charges me and my brother

10. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Much of my hog hunting is done in small game season on 18,000 acres of federal property. On that property we are limited to shotguns and small shot and rimfire rifles in small game season.

Yeah, the .22 magnum is not a proper hog rifle, but i've killed a few dozen wild hogs with it. A few of those hogs weighed over 250 pounds. My shots are limited to 50-60 yards. The round used is the CCI 40 grain total metal jacket. Like everything else bullet placement is very important. Hogs to about 150 pounds are shot low behind the front leg-heart shot. Larger hogs are shot in the ear.

This hog was about 30 yards away from my tree stand drinking from a pond. After being shot this hog went further than any other hog i shot with the .22 magnum; about 75 yards.

[​IMG]

This hog was killed with my Ruger 10/22. Distance was <10 yards.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  11. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

These disney critters are hell on petite women, small hikers/jogger. While they prefer to ambush game, would you feel comfortable armed only w 22 Mag pistol/revolver of your choice ?

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Nope;) id prefer my FA 83 454 cassul

13. orangello

orangello New Member

A .22 on a lion? What are you people smoking & where can i find some?

If you pop a deer with a .22 in this state, i'm fairly certain the game warden will be seriously PISSED at you. They would be glad of any hogs you kill, i'm sure.

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Your in MS arent you? If so you CAN use 22 just has to be center fire like 223 and 22/250

15. orangello

orangello New Member

In many places, a woman can go topless while wearing "pasties" to cover her nipples; that is not to say this is always "OK". I would not shoot a deer with a .22 of any kind; i would not go hunting with someone who would; .22's are for small game and small-minded terrorists.

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Very true. The smallest i would use for body shots is 243. 150 yards or closer id do head shots w my 223 or 250

17. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

I did not say anyone should attack lions with a .22 Mag. Guides use them to kill treed lions at close range. I live in lion country . They are very shy and seldom seen in day light. They do attack it is damn rare. And yes they are not hard to kill a .22 will take out a lion. If you are in lion country carry what ever makes you feel comfortable. I notice few of the posters live in lion country.:)

18. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

My dad guided lion hunters for over 20 years till his knees gave out. All he ever carried was a 22 LR pistol.

Just like Durango said, you tree the cat. Oh they'll hiss and snarl, but they don't wanna fight the dogs if they're tree'd. If they wanna fight the dogs, they'll stay on the ground and fight the dogs. Just wait till their looking at you and put one between it's eyes. Makes a nice small hole even a lousy taxidermist can cover. Doesn't bust the skull up either. (They measure cats by skull size FYI.)
    I've seen too many jump after lung shots to trust them.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

No i dont live "in" lion country but i have hunted em 3 times and killed one more out of a steel trap that was killin calves. One i killed w my bow amd one apiece w a 44 mag and a 454 cassul. So ya i know them fairly well.

20. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Ropin thx for your in put. Most of these people do not live in lion country. As you know we have them around our houses. I only used a big caliber one time. Back 40 years ago on the Platte River I walked up on an old female eating carp. I tried to get her to go way but she would not move. I had a Colt Python .357 and I shot the old girl at 10 feet right into her open mouth. If I had my K .22 Mag I would have used it. I know lots of lion hunters as you do. I can not imagine shooting a cat with a .454 Mag? Why would you ruin such a fine pelt?:confused: