22 mag ammo

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by RodCanfield, Feb 21, 2012.

1. RodCanfield

RodCanfield New Member

Wondering if I can get some input on 22 mag ammo...as in accuracy damage etc I know all guns shoot diff ammo just wanted some input. Was considering hornady v Max 30 grain....using cci jacketed hollow points and I'm not to impressed.

2. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

There has been some recent development in .22 mag. Hornady makes a load they call Critical Defense. Jacketed HP with a polymer point to enhance expansion. CCI makes a load with jacketed HP Gold Dot bullets and Federal makes a load with their TNT expanding bullet. In my very unscientific testing, I got the best performance from a pistol with the Federal stuff. Higher velocity and the bullet expanded to about 9mm.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Stay away from Win Dyna Point.

4. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

You might wanna try a fatter bullet, like the Federal Game-Shok 50-grain :)

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have sent a lot of 40 grain Winchester, both fmj & semi jacketed hp, white box down range from mine. 40 grain CCI also shoots well.

6. BlackWidow

BlackWidow New Member

CCI Maxi Mag is a good rifle round. The new Speer Gold Dot is good for handguns.

7. RodCanfield

RodCanfield New Member

Well bought some remington 33grain acu tip they look good I'll be shooting this weekend I'll let y'all know what there about when I shoot them...and I am looking for a lighter bullet

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

OK, you just bought the worst .22 mag ammo I have ever used. They shoot like a flat marble. If you expect the CCI maxi mag to expand, it does but as it penetrates, but does not explode like a 17gr .17 HMR. The key is penetration. I use it for Coyotes out to 75 yards.