22 lr ????

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by nyb631, Feb 9, 2011.

1. nyb631

nyb631 New Member

Hello all I just sold most of my arms...

Now just got a carry and a home arm.

after tax time im looking for a target fun pistol...

I see that marlin has a nice 22LR ~$250 with scope. (scope=must)
    but im a person that has to have the warranty.

Im looking for high Capacity.

or maybe a Wheel 22LR with a scope & (long barrel).

Im new to 22LR quality arms so any help will be very nice.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For ABOUT $250, you can get a nice Ruger 22 pistol= Mark 1, II, or III. Start getting fancy with the barrel, price goes up. It will be difficult to find a GOOD 22 target revolver in that price range. The Browning Buckmark also gets high reviews.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

^^^What he said (as usual)

C3, you are getting as bad as Robo for ending threads. If you keep beating us to the punch giving solid advice - we'll all be unemployed...:D

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

OK- sorry- buy a Jennings J-22. :p

5. nyb631

nyb631 New Member

im sorry but im kinda looking into the rifles.. also..
    I see a lot about marlins 60's and savage arms also..

I had a ruger mk 2 but scope and etc.. is really what im looking into...
    i got a sp 101 357 snub and a windacator 357 snub for carry and a NAA 22mag.

So im kinda wanting a scope tool. for real target practice...
    I had a SW 22a but the ruger mk 2 was wayyy better for target groups...

So I may want a 22LR that can have a scope CAn the Rugers MK's have a scope.???

6. nyb631

nyb631 New Member

I have a jininez 9mm that I keep only 1 9mm cocked and rdy to shoot on my desk... then throw the 9mm @ the BG and the sp 101 comes out....

7. nyb631

nyb631 New Member

8. nyb631

nyb631 New Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  9. nyb631

nyb631 New Member

ok so I started looking and MARLIN model 60 vs RUGER 1022

marlin model 60 160-220 5 yrs
    savage arms 160-204 1 yr
    mossberg 190-220 1 yr
    ruger 1022 200-500 life time.
    Polish Wifama wz.78 .22lr 230
    888-748-5252

Henry Lever Action .22 325
    sig 522 534

so the Ruger I see a few places that it is close to 200 dollars...
    so I perfer to spent the few dollars extra to have a Ruger
    but is the Ruger 1022 really as good as there wheel guns.. ?

10. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

If you wait a little longer, the Marlin bolt action rifles will soon be available with an adjustable trigger similar to the Savage Accu-Trigger if you're considering a bolt action.

Not sure which Marlin rifle/scope combo you're referring to, but some of their rifles have small, almost useless scopes. The 4x20 on the Model 60 is, in my opinion, a perfect example of a worthless scope and I doubt it will be on your rifle very long. A good 3-9x32 or 3-9x40 can be purchased for a decent price to add to a rifle and I think you'll be much happier with the variable power and 32 or 40mm objective.

For high capacity rifles in 22lr, the Ruger 10/22 is one of a few with available hi-cap mags, but the Savage and Marlin rifles are more accurate out of the box. Most 10/22's need some work to get to the level of accuracy the Marlin and Savage provide in stock form. The two 10/22's I had personal contact with had magazine reliability issues, which is one of the reasons I chose the Marlin 60 for my 22. My friend with the Mossberg had one of those 10/22's and said his Mossberg was more accurate and he didn't like the magazine trouble he was having with the Ruger so he sold it to his brother.

The Marlin 795 has a hi-Cap mag coming from Shooter's Ridge, but the mag hasn't hit the streets yet. The 795 can be purchased for around $100 and Marlin has a $25 rebate on them until the end of the year. the Marlin 795 is nearly the same rifle as the Model 60 but with a clip magazine instead of the tube on the 60.

I prefer the Marlin 60 with the 15 round tube magazine in a semi-auto, about $160 blued with wood stock and $250 for stainless with wood stock. Mine's been a great rifle since the day it was purchased. If you check out Bud's prices on rifles your local Wal-Mart will probably be pretty close to the same, I know mine is when it comes to buying a rifle they carry.

A friend of mine owned the Mossberg 702 Plinkster, it never gave him any problems, he just shot almost as much bulk Remington through it as I did my Model 60. Both rifles were dependable and were accurate from the start and both had the same $30 Tasco 3-9x40 scope from Wal-Mart mounted on them. Mine now has a BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40 AO scope. The scope included with the Mossberg #37035 seems to be the same or similar to the 4x20 on the Marlins and I doubt you'll keep it long.

At $250 for a target pistol the Smith & Wesson 22A can be purchased new with a 7" barrel and integral scope rail through Bud's Gun Shop. Their prices are about the same as one gun shop about 60 miles from my home, anything closer to me and handgun prices get rather stupid. The prices may be different in your area though.

The Taurus Tracker is a little higher in 22lr but does have a 6-1/2" barrel and I'm pretty sure scope rings and mounts are available for it.

11. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Too bad you insist on 'new' and 'warranty', as there are many superb older .22LR rifles out there that are more accurate than most new rifles today. They have 'man sized' stocks, instead of the skinny 'one size fits most but not the Big guys'.......

Older Remington Five-teen series, Mossberg 144 series, sometimes you can luck into a Stevens 416 or Winchester 75T for three bills or less.
    All will put the new Marlins and Savages to shame, and utterly decimate a factory Ruger 10-22.

12. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Well, I took a $129.00 Marlin 795, sent in the $25 Marlin Rebate and did this with it...

[​IMG]
    $25 Ramline Folding Stock (Numrich closeout)
    $20 Bipod (Shooter's Ridge closeout)
    $10 Sling
    $10 Marlin Adjustable Rear Target Sight (from Numrich)
    $15 Acraglass Bedding Kit (only used about $5 of it & bedded two more rifles)
    And in mid-May 2011...$25 for a 25-round mag from Shooter's Ridge (Ok, I'll probably buy 3...lol)

Pimping a Marlin...inexpensive...
    Eating CZ's at the range?? PRICELESS :D

13. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I just got a Ruger Mark 3 22/45 a couple of weeks ago,just this weekend I ran about 400 rounds through the thing in just one sitting with no problems at all exept maybe a stovepipe and a mag spring not being broke in enough,it was smooth,but when I took it apart last night to clean it and saw all the gunk in it,I liked the gun even more because I know it was still shooting so good with all that cheap ammo fouling it had in there.It is the AK-47 of rimfires,buy one!Oh yeah,it was $265 NIB.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  14. nyb631

nyb631 New Member

i had a ruger mk2 and after 100 rounds the gun started jamming really bad every time and ruger took the gun said nothing was wrong and i was like GRRR and sold it. I was really pissed.... but i used fmj and lead and both jammed it after 100 rounds... I got it second hand but Ruger sent it back saying there was nothing wrong... :(
    the smith 22a for grouping vs the ruger is RUGER is much better but im really stuck..

the marlin I just got to use and Im like omg.. I cant pick one..

the ruger charger i seen for $270 that thing is a little beast!!!!

the PLR 22 from heltec is a EPIC with a threaded barrel...

*confused.*

just got to wait i guess range trip i guress

15. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

My 22 rifle is a Smith & Wesson M&P AR15-22. 25 round capacity magazines. Rails to mount any optics your heart desires. More fun than a barrel of monkeys. Can be had around $450 - $500.

My 22 pistol is a Smith & Wesson Model 17 revolver, 10 shot. Excellent revolver, but pricey.

If I were looking at .22 rifles:
    • The S&W I currently have
    • Marlin model 60
    • Savage 93

If I were looking at .22 pistols:
    • My 17
    • Ruger Mk 2 or 3
    • Browning Buckmark

16. PigPen

PigPen New Member

i was in same boat as you but i bit the bullet and ordered the savage mark II with the heavy barrel and accutrigger today, now im looking at a bsa catseye scope for about $85 plus the $260 on the gun im looking at about $350 for a real tack driver with a supposedly decent scope

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

One of the forum vendors has the 25 round Marlin mags available. Go to vendor display and look for Copes.

18. nyb631

nyb631 New Member

Thanks for all the information..
    I been pondering for a while and Im going to p/u a
    Ruger 10/22 . Ill post pics when I get it from the store.

19. Colossal Urprising

Colossal Urprising New Member

I have a model 60 and love it. It has been a great gun.

20. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I don't see the need for a warranty on a good gun. I don't have nor do I need a warranty on my old guns as they have proven to be reliable and well built.

I have a Ruger 22/45, shoots better than I do.