.22 LR Pistols

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Vertiviper, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Vertiviper

Vertiviper New Member

I'll be getting my pistol permit in the coming months and am already thinking about pistol options.

In terms of personal priority I would first like to learn propper form and technique and then move onto something that packs a bigger punch.

With that said, aside from your basic 9mm, are there 22lr pistols? I figured 9mm is "fair" priced to shoot, but 22lr is dirt cheap to shoot and you can spend the whole day learning for only a few bucks.

Down the road i would get something bigger :D

2. junho806

junho806 New Member

try the P22
    many of our member have it and they seem to love it
    its cheap too!

3. Vertiviper

Vertiviper New Member

the Walther?

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Here's a thought: Do Both. :p

Find a used 1911 Government in 45 ACP and buy a Wilson Combat .22 conversion.

[​IMG]

Shoot cheap and go big when you want. You will be training on the same grip, trigger etc. Total outlay would be close to a new 1911 and you get two guns in one!

[​IMG]

5. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

QFMFT! Except the Gov't. Model part.

6. Vertiviper

Vertiviper New Member

IDK WTF QFMFT means!?! lol

7. Vertiviper

Vertiviper New Member

That sounds like a good idea, but for over $300 for the kit..am I almost better off buying the P22 and let that handle the dirty 22lr round, maybe?

I'm just basing this on the idea that converting a firearm like an AR15 into a 22lr is bad because of how dirty the round is..........I would guess the same concept might apply to pistols?

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The conversion kits are fun- but IMHO, rather pricy. Yes, 22LR ammo is a bit dirty. For the money, why not go ahead and get a good Ruger 22 auto? I am still shooting a Standard Model that I bought in 1971. I could not lift all the ammo that one has digested, and still shoots well.

9. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Does it have to be a semi-auto? Ever since I bought my S&W 617 my Ruger MKIII has been sitting in a drawer. That revolver is ridiculously accurate. It's a great way to practice double action trigger technique.

10. Vertiviper

Vertiviper New Member

Being it's going to be my first pistol and one that I want to learn on by shooting lots and lots and lots of rounds, I think a semi-auto might be the right route in a 22lr.

I don't know anything about revolvers so i'm always open to ideas. :D

11. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I'm not a very experienced shooter, I've hunted for years but I only started to get seriously into handguns in the past four or five months, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

The first pistol I bought was a Ruger Mark III (a 22/45 model), it was very accurate and felt great in my hands. However, cleaning it up was not something I enjoyed. I never really got used to the disassembly system. Most of my self defense weapons are revolvers, and semi-autos in which the first shot is double action (I've sold most of the semi-autos, though) so the trigger on the Mark III was not ideal for the kind of practice I needed.

So I used all these nice excuses to get a .22 revolver. :) It suits my training needs better than the Mark III and I enjoy cleaning it.

Don't get me wrong, the Ruger is an excellent pistol, it's just not what I needed.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I have 2 22 pistols. A Ruger MkII (Best of their line) and a Beretta Neos. The neos set me back $200 it is a bit futureistic looking but it is a blast to shoot and so simple a cave man can do it in the care and cleaning department.

I love both of mine. When I bought the neos I looked at must have been 20 different pistols. I looked at the smith 22a didn't like the location of the mag release and was too small for my hand. Tried the ruger 22/45 MkIII that felt like a sharp cornered piece of wood in my hand. I love the feel of Brownings Buckmark but the one I liked was out of the price range for me at the time. I dislike the walthers because of the trigger on them.

Look around and find one you like. To me the 22/45 didn't feel at all like my Kimber at all.

If you want to go the revolver way I would look at a Smith Model 17 or 617 the 17 is older and has a partial underlug and is only 6 shots. The 617 is a full underlug and is 6 or 10 shots. My m 17 smith would out shoot many rifles at 50 yards.

13. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

I have a Taurus 9701 tracker revolver. very fun and very accurate. It has a long heavy barrel which helps accuracy. They are not to expensive either.

14. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Around here .380 prices are absurdly lower than 9mm which is good for me cause I prefer the .380 over 9mm.

15. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I have a Walther P22 and love it. Its great to train on because it has a slide, unlike other 22lr target pistols (nothing wrong with that though). It does take a couple hundred rounds to wear it in, but after that its very accurate. Simple take-down and easy to clean. Assembly is a little tricky but easy if you read the manual.

16. raveneap

raveneap New Member

I've got the Ruger Mark III and it's an excellent gun. In a slightly lower price range, the SW 22A-1 is a good 22 pistol. My son has the Beretta NEOS and it's never failed to digest whatever he fed it. That one's the least expensive of the three.

17. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

I have a Walther PP in .22lr and it's fun to shoot and is useful to practice besides it's cheap
    [​IMG]

P.D If any of you have or knows where to buy a Walther PP in .22lr mags please, I need one at least...:rolleyes:

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

19. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member