.22 LR Bolt Action Rifle Cleaning Kit - Recommendatin Please!

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by bf109, Oct 18, 2010.

1. bf109

bf109 New Member

Hi, as I mentioned in my other posts I just bought my 1st .22 LR bolt action rifle - CZ 452 Lux and intend to get a cleaning kit for it. Can you lists a few recommendations of quality cleaning kit?

I may want to get a bigger caliber .270 or .308 or 30-06 bolt action rifle (for hunting); a .22 LR pistol, .357 revoler and a 9mm semi-auto for target shooting in the future.

So is there a cleaning kit out there that fits my cleaning needs for all of these different calibers? Or, I'd better off buying 2 separate kits - one for rifles and the other for pistols.

Thanks for your help.

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

For the most part, any cleaning kit will do. My recommendation would be to get a bore snake along with any .22 cleaning kit. A bore snake makes cleaning the rifle bore go much, much faster. I have a snake for each caliber I own.

3. Highpower

Highpower New Member

I don't believe in using the cleaning 'kits" myself. The cheap, sectioned, cleaning rods usually do more damage than good IMO.

My suggestion would be to buy a good one-piece cleaning rod and caliber specific bore brushes and jags as needed.

But like everything else, everyone has their own preferences. :)

4. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

+1 on what High Power said.
    F.K.
    P.S. Remember Jags not slotted pull throughs.

5. bf109

bf109 New Member

One piece cleaning rol - Length?

Thanks for all your comments. If I were going to get a one-piece cleaning rod, what length of the rod should it be? FYI, my CZ 452 Lux has a 24.6 inch barrel.

With regards to the caliber specific bore brush, is there one designed for cleaning rifles only? Or, they're universal types that can be used for both rifles and pistols.

Tanks.

6. ScottA

There are some snakes that are pistol snakes. They are typically too short for a rifle, or just barely long enough to get the pull through to grab hold of.

Any rifle snake will be more than long enough for a pistol.

Also in case you've never used one, the snake takes the place of the rod and patches. At the risk of being flamed, it is far superior to the rod and patches. I've tested it. I've run a bore snake through once, followed by a patch. The patch was clean as a whistle after one pass with the snake. The snake takes all of 10 seconds. The rod and patches will take you... well... depends on who much of a perfectionist you are.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  7. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Measure from the rear of receiver to the muzzle and then add about 6" to get your minimum length. It's best to clean the gun from the breach end whenever possible. (Remove the bolt from the rifle.) Most likely a 36" rod would work for you.

Cleaning rods: Shooting Supplies - Shop Everything for Your Firearm at MidwayUSA

Rifle brushes are longer than pistol brushes. You can get away with using a pistol brush to clean a rifle, but it's a problem trying to clean some pistols with a rifle brush. :eek:

Pistol: Shooting Supplies - Shop Everything for Your Firearm at MidwayUSA

Rifle: Shooting Supplies - Shop Everything for Your Firearm at MidwayUSA

8. FreedomFighter69

FreedomFighter69 New Member

Go with the snake ! If you can find a nylon rod that would also be good. These are getting harder to find for some reason ? It seems like everything that is good and works, they make difficult to get or stop making it alltogether. Forget Kmart/Walmart, only kits they have are Hoppes and Outers.

9. bf109

bf109 New Member

Gun Oil and Gun Cleaning Solvent

Hi, thanks for all your suggestions.

What gun oil and gun cleaning solvent do I need to get? How and where do I apply them on the rifle/pistol? Can you recommend some good quality gun oil/gun cleaning solvent that are not abbrasive?

BTW, is the Carbon Fiber rod the same as a nylon one? How about using a boresnake in combination with a cleaning rod/bore brush?

10. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

"G96" is a great cleaner and lub-protectant. I use the bore snake at the range and do a good cleaning after with a one piece cleaning rod and a jag.
    After each pass one way with the patch I wipe the rod off to get any carbon or crud off before reiserting into the bore.
    When ever posible go from breach to muzzel using some sort of breach protector rod guide. When this is not posible than go from the muzzel and use a bore guide or rod guide.
    Any place that moves or turns should be oiled.
    F.K

P.S.a 22 should not need the use bore solvent.

P.P.S. A carbon fiber rod is usualy totaly made of carbon fiber where as a nylon rod is usualy a steel rod covered in nylon. I am of the opinion that a carbon fiber rod will flex to much and may come into contact with the sides of the bore , where as a nylon coated steel rod will not flex as much.This is only my opinion and you know what they say about opinions and a certain body part.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  11. ScottA

Can't think of any reason to do that other than to see just how much better the snake is compared to a rod and patches.

12. Highpower

Highpower New Member

I agree with Fisherking with this one exception. I believe the bore solvent would be beneficial in breaking up carbon deposits, even in a .22LR.

I used to believe that I was getting my bores "clean as a whistle" after my usual cleaning method. That was before I purchased a good bore scope.... :eek:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  13. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

+1 I never thought of the cabon deposits just copper fouling. Thanks for catching that .
    Regards Fisherking

14. bf109

bf109 New Member

Cleaning rod and Jags - What're Jags? How to use them?

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

What's a Jag? How to use it with a cleaning rod? How do I attach a pad to the rod?

What's the difference between using a Jag and a bore brush for cleaning?

BTW, "Dewey" does manufactures nylon coated cleaning rod. I wonder what's underneath the nylon coatings. Steel? Or carbon fiber?

Also, Deway noted on its web that .22 l.r. CZ rifles has extremely tight bores and therefore, they recommend using .20 caliber cleaning rod with a .17 caliber adapter (insteadd of using their .22 caliber rod). I'm confused why I use a .17 adapter. What to adapt? Please share your experience.

Thank you.

15. ScottA

A jag is a piece that goes on the end of the rod and is just slightly smaller diameter than the bore. A patch goes over the jag and it holds the patch tight against the bore as you wipe it out.

A slotted end holds a patch loosely in the bore. A jag holds a patch tight in the bore. If you run a jag through the end of the barrel, the patch will fall off. If you run a slotted end through the end of the barrel, the patch won't fall off.

They're both still inferior to a snake in my opinion.

16. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

When using a snake rember to wash it . It can be washed in your clothes washer. The reasion for doing this is the snake will get full of fowling , carbon and what ever then you are pulling this through the bore and maby scratching the bore. Why take the chance.
    The one thing about using a patched jag is the patch goes through the bore once and is throwen away, so you are not scratching the bore with hard cabon deposits left on the patch, just a thought.
    F.K.
    P.S. the dewy rod has a steel rod in it.

17. mongoose90

mongoose90 New Member

I seen a buddy of mine use an old arrow for a cleaning rod and it worked quite well. Something to think about. Try a wood dowel.

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

An arrow that will fit in the barrel of a .22 rifle would be a rather skinny arrow. To the OP- a bore brush is used with solvent to loosen metal fouling and carbon from powder. .22 ammo also tends to have wax (bullet lube). Frankly, MOST .22 ammo is rather dirty. After using the bore brush, you use a jag or a slotted patch holder to put a cloth patch thru the bore to wipe out the gunk you loosened with the brush. Using a Boresnake does both at once.

Not to take this to extreme- get a Boresnake, or a .22 cleaning kit. Clean the bore from the back. Push patches through, do not pull them (and dirt) back. Do not overclean a rifle. Use the right size patches and they do not get stuck. WIPE a rod down- it gets crud on it that can be abrasive- whole pupose of a coated rod is to minimize that. Solvents- some like vanilla, some like chocolate. I like plain old Hoppe's #9. Been around for ages, does s decent job, available anywhere.

IMHO, the ACTION of the average 22 needs cleaning more than the bore does. Solvent on a patch, wipe, or use one of the spray cleaners.

19. FreedomFighter69

FreedomFighter69 New Member

I disagree somewhat Fish.
    You can still find the flexible all nylon rods but they are becoming scarce.
    About a 22 not needing bore solvent, im not so sure that would work to well when cleaning. Especially the way 22's lead up the barrel probably worse than any other caliber. Yes if you use BreakFree which does work very well you may get away with it but you'll need a good amount. If you run a soaked swab down the barrel after every 50 rds you can probably do this. But if your shooting 200+ rds your gonna need some solvent. Bright Bore is pretty good, works well and has a pleasant smell to it, but even still it's not better than Hoppes' or a full strength solvent. On a center fire no problem. The CLP's do just fine but for 22LR your better off with a solvent.
    This is just my opinion from what I been using the past 22 years. Maybe im not with the times and there are better products now. But remember I live in Philadelphia and our Kmarts/Walmarts/Targets don't even have damn hunting supplies or cleaning kits no more. The gun shops here seem to sell the same stuff all the time. I did see some different stuff down in Delaware when I bought my 10/22, but I don't know about them. If someone can fill me in I'd appreciate it.
    If you do go with a rod, the 17 cal rod with the 22 end bits sound like a good idea so as you don't scratch up your bore. Snakes are a lot easier especially for rifles and revolvers.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010