.22 LR ammo?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by lonyaeger, Apr 5, 2010.

1. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I'm having a heck of a time finding either CCI Stinger or Velocitor ammo. Does anyone know why it's so hard to find?

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'm guessing there is not a big demand for it. My local suppilers have winchester's XP, a buttload of bulk pack varieties, and only a few CCI mini mags now and then. I haven't seen velociters or stingers in a looong time.

3. KMO

KMO New Member

Every time I think the shortage is about to end, the shelves go empty again at my local Wal-Mart. Aside from a pawn shop with super-inflated prices, Wal-Mart is all we have close by without driving at least an hour. I really can't figure why .22 LR is so scarce. Everyone talks about hoarding, but who the heck hoards plinking rounds? I see the 36-grain bulk packs returning slowly, but I sure miss the variety of 40-grain .22 LR that used to be so easy to get. A rare case of Federal Auto Match showed up a few weeks ago, but disappeared almost immediately. At least I got a few boxes of that...:(

4. willshoum

willshoum New Member

22 lr

What would you rather have? 10 # 45 ammo or 10 # 22 Lr, There are a lot of people buying this ammo, just in case the $$it hits the fan. Besides if it does, I'll take 22 LR to hunt with any day. If I find what your looking for I'll send PM. Wills in da Swamp in La. One Shot One Kill..........

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I'm talking about CCI Stinger or Velocitor specifically.

6. KMO

KMO New Member

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Just got back from Cabela's in Fort Worth and they have none. Plus, their website says "out of stock."

8. KMO

KMO New Member

Isn't Cheaper than Dirt somewhere close to that area too? They might have what you need...

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Right here in Fort Worth, and they're out and have been for several weeks. Maybe CCI is focusing more on primers than ammo. :confused:

10. DonnyKC

DonnyKC New Member

That sucks. My walmart has more then enough.

11. KMO

KMO New Member

Remind me to book my cruise...be there soon...save some...:cool:

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Try Miwall, Lon. They are the "Wholesale Ammo" folks at most of the gun shows out west. Also known as "Outdoors Marksman".

I always pick up a couple of bricks of Velocitors from them at the shows. Wal Mart usually has Velocitors as well, at least out here in CA.

13. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Could just be the economics of the market, the scarcity of ammo last year may have convinced manufacturers to retool for other, higher margin, centerfire rounds that do now seem to be more readily available.

The downside is that the availability of rimfire ammo will decline as inventories are depleted and there is reduced production to replace.

Adding to that is the raw increase in the number of gunowners in the last 2 years and the popularity of the newer .22LR chambered rifles like the MP15-22 and the GSG-5 as well as the classics like the 10/22 and Marlin 60.

BTW, I picked up 2 500 rnd boxes at Dick's last week. Was a bit pricy at 23.00 for CCI standard velocity.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  14. MrGrumpy89

MrGrumpy89 Member

I think I saw some cci Stingers at Wal Mart up here in kansas city, MO. It seems there has not been too big of an ammo shortage up here. My cabelas is stocked with ammo. guess Kansas City isn't hoarding much ammo.

15. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Lon, I was at Sportsman's Warehouse on Monday, and picked up some Mini-Mags. They have Velocitors in 100 round boxes. If you'd like, I can pick some up and send them to you. I don't know the price exactly, but I think it was around $8.00/100. Let me know.

16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Cabela's finally got some Velocitors in, thanks for the offer though Don.

17. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

My wal-mart finally got stingers back and the Friedmans surplus store has velocitors in stock usually....which reminds me I need to go pick up some more...

18. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Only thing with Velociters is that they are Hyper-Velocity...which can't be used in many .22's :(

And they are inherently less precise due to the fall-off from Supersonic to sub-sonic.
    But they do make a nice impact on critters :)

19. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Lon, if you need any just let me know. We have them all over the place.

20. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Thank you Rusty sir.