.22 lr ammo

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by wittmeba, Nov 23, 2013.

1. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

What's with Gander Mountain and their surcharge? Others don't do this. Yes, I know I can buy elsewhere but just trying to educate myself on why this might be happening.

"One $9 surcharge will be added to orders containing ammunition."

Here is a clear demonstration of supply and demand - but ridiculous!

http://www.luckygunner.com/rimfire/22-lr-ammo?dir=desc&order=price

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Unsure- but ammo cannot be mailed by US Mail, and must go UPS or FedEx GROUND. Sent some collector cartridges to a gent to help his grandson start a collection, and one pound was $14 shipping.

3. mdauben

mdauben New Member

I have not ordered all that much ammo online but everyone I've ordered from charged extra to ship ammo since it has to be shipped as hazardous materials (ORM-D is a DOT hazard clarification). UPS charges more to ship hazardous material so the retailers have to pass that on.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I just ordered some ammo from Brownell's as a filler to get free shipping. No problem but it does slow down the delivery. I did not think of that when I ordered. A lot of suppliers will offer free shipping on case lots.

5. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

Just another good reason not to buy their overpriced ammo

6. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Member

I purchase ammo on line from PSA, Midway, Brownells etc. and never encounter "surcharges", I would add them to my 'CTD' never buy from list.

7. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

What I have learned since the posting.

From Gander Mountain about Surcharge:

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I was talking to the owner of a local gun shop yesterday and he told me the factories have not raised their prices. The middlemen are the ones gouging. They are holding back supplies and are jacking up prices to the dealers. The small dealers can not afford to pay the going prices. I know dealers that are only selling to gun buyers because it is the only way they can sell the guns. There was 22 mag in stock at one lgs for $16/50. 22 Hornet is selling for $22/50 and are reloadable. I am now thinking about 22 Hornet. It will easily outperform 22 mag and 17 HMR. They had a nice TC rifle in there for $400. One dealer told a customer looking for 22lr he was charging $400/100 but the gun was free.

9. Gunnie

Gunnie New Member

Gander mtn's in store ammo price is considerably more than other places.

10. mboylan

mboylan New Member

I can get some grades of Eley for that price. In stock several places.

11. jrfusatf

jrfusatf New Member

Try Cabela's. I also have an app for my iphone called "Ammofinder" very good app for finding ammo.

12. mboylan

mboylan New Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  13. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I can't believe the cost of .22 lr ammo continues to climb. The lowest price on Ammoseek is now 18¢ / round. This is unbelievable. We still don't see it on shelves locally.

14. mboylan

mboylan New Member

Because people are still paying that much. We are our own worst enemy.

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

My Ammo from Natchez Shooters Supplies should be here tomorrow according to Fed Ex tracking. 500 rounds worked out to $5.43 per box of 50 for Federal American Eagle.

16. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

17. jimmyp7162

jimmyp7162 New Member

Our local gun shop in central Wisconsin is keeping federal 40 gr solids in stock regularly; $9.99/100

18. jimmyp7162

jimmyp7162 New Member

Oh, and this was shortly after I was at gander and picked up a box of ely 50 round....didn't know the price til I went to check out....$9. That's the last time I purchase anything from that chain, it's disgraceful.