.22 LR Ammo for plinking/target - Federal vs Remington 36 grain FMJ

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by bf109, Nov 4, 2010.

1. bf109

bf109 New Member

Which of the 36 grain FMJ .22 lr is better for plinking/target practice?

I've been using both the Federal and Remingtoon 36 grain FMJ for practice shooting and have shot over 400 shots without any problems.

I bought them in Value Pack (550 round) from Walmart. They're priced the same at $19. I want to stock up a few thousand rounds but no sure which is better.

Federal ammo has bright copper coating which easily come off while handling it. Will this cause too much coppering inside the barrel?

As for Remington, the bullet head is a kind of loose. I can rotate the bullet head with my hands while the bullet head on Federal is tightly attached to the shell.
    Is this a concern about Remington's quality. Will this cause any jamming?
    BTW, the Remington has more dull looking copper coating which doesn't come off easily.

Lastly, what's the shell life of these rimfire ammo?

Thanks.

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

These are copper coated, Not FMJ. As far as shelf life, I have .22lr ammo from the early '70's.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

In general, avoiding any rimfire ammo made by Remington is a good thing. I shoot a lot of the Federal bulk packs from Walmart and I also have good luck with the Winchester 333...

4. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Stay with the Federal, I have never had any issues with it, but have with Remington.

Jim........

5. bf109

bf109 New Member

Thanks for your advice. I bought 3 packs of 550 rounds Federal yesterday. Still have about 400 Remington rounds left. How many rounds do you usually stock up? 2000, 3000?

The Walmart here very often run out of stock on 22l.r. rimfire ammos.

6. Biohazard2

Biohazard2 Active Member

My 10/22 really likes the Federal 719 HV Match.

7. tigerbeetle

tigerbeetle New Member

The copper color is actually called copper washed. It is a lubricant. It doesn't really leave any copper per se in your barrel. Federal bulk and Win bulk are both great for general use. TB

8. aandabooks

aandabooks Active Member

Federal is the way to go between those two. I personally prefer the Win 555 box or the Winchester Wildcats but they are another few dollars higher. The last bulk pack of those that I picked up was at a gun show for $20.

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

concur. I haven't shot either for a while, but I have never had a problem finding ammo that shot more accurately than the Remington. YMMV.

10. Joe M

Joe M New Member

Federal would be my choice over Remington ammo always.

11. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

There's a variety of problems with Remington .22lr ammo...

Loose crimp
    oversized bullets
    undersized bullets
    short powder loads
    no powder loads
    spotty primer in casing
    no primer in casing

In short, everything you don't ever want to deal with, happens in Remington Golden Bullet & Thunderbolts.

Strangely, some folks have reported quite nice results...for awhile...
    but eventually, they'll post up with ammo problems.
    Give 'em time...and a few boxes.

12. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

shrek its me used to be tonyd on g&g blazer bricks work fine my ruger makes 2 min groops with them

13. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

HIya Tony :)

yeah, G&G has been dying lately, due to hunting season...argh
    I've bumped them back to a once-every-three-days login.

I've got enough fix & repair posts there to choke a mule...LOL

RFC & here are getting hit daily :)

14. JimB

JimB New Member

;) I use Federal ammo with my Ruger10/22.

15. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I love Remington rifles..I do not like their 22 ammo though. The Federa bulk ammo is about the best for what I"m shooting.A couple pistols and several rifles and it works great in all of them.

16. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

Also try the Federal Auto Match. It comes in boxes of 325. I paid about $14. a box wholesale for mine. It's one of the most accurate Federal 22 ammo's.

John K

17. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

The Remington Golden Bullet Bulk Packs are pure crap. You'll have nothing but trouble with them. FTF, FTE, poor accuracy, you name it, they've got it all. I can't believe Remington gets away with putting out such awful ammunition. They know how bad they are, they just don't care.

On the other hand, the Federal 550 Bulk Packs at Walmart are very good. My 5 -.22's all love them. I rarely have any trouble with any of them and get nickle-size groups at 50 yards using them in my rifles. :cool:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  18. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

How big is your closet? :D

PS. Ditto on the Federal and just about anything else over Remington. Be advised Wally World usually also carries "Winchester 333"; these are boxes of 333 rounds of 36gr plated HP 1280fps, which I have found very reliable and inexpensive. There are a lot of good ammo options here.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010