.22 LR, .22 mag, or a .17 hmr

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by onetohunt, Apr 11, 2012.

1. onetohunt

onetohunt New Member

Which would you get in a rifle if you had the choice? and why?

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

22lr or 17hm2. Cost. I can load 223 for the cost of 17 hmr and 22 mag. I can buy Russian steel cased for the same money as 17hmr. I would buy a 17 or 22 Hornet before the rimfire mags. I have a Marlin 25M in 22 mag and I am thinking of selling it. They are probably great if you dont reload. Another possible would be the 5.7x28. My wife has a 17hm2. Those cost me $8-12/100.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

3. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

For plinking, its hard to beat .22lr out to around 75 yards...then with .22WMR, you can pop stuff out to 200 easy, if you can shoot that well ;)
    Heck, half the hunters out there couldn't hit an 8" pie plate at 300 yards with a .270, so its really all in what each shooter is capable of.

I've got a Keltec PMR-30 on order, and if Keltec can get things moving fast enough...and RMR-30 carbine will be ordered eventually also.
    So until Marlin makes another Lever-action .22WMR, those will be enough for now...
    I've owned enough/rented enough of the other semi-auto offerings to know what I like...
    Bolt & Lever are the way to go, but few semi-auto .22WMR's wortk worth a dang. Keltec at least got it right, along with Grendel.

I'm seeing little use for .17HMR, as the newer .22WMR rounds are almost as fast, but hit with a larger bullet...make bigger nasty holes...
    Truly amazing to see what a 30-grain bullet can do at 2300-FPS to a coyote...where I really wouldn't use a .17 on a 'yote...
    and even grass will deflect a .17 pretty badly...

If you like plinking...the Calico M-100 (.22lr) is as precise as a standard OEM 1022, but has 100-rds per mag capacity.
    [​IMG]
    In pistol form (Calico M-110), slap a laser &/or a light on it and clear a hallway for home defense...
    [​IMG]

I'd show more pics of fun guns, but I accidently deleted everything in my pics files...so now I've gotta take all new pics...argh

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I'm with JTJ, I'd rather go with a cheap centerfire like the Russian .223 and 5.45x39 ammo than with .22WMR or .17HMR. I'll stick with my 22lr.

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

.22 Mag. Twice the power of the .22 LR with the same features and benefits except being as cheap and the weakest cartridge generally available.

6. phildenton

phildenton New Member

.22 lr, my marlin 60 is accurate at 100 yards (furthest I've tested it too)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  7. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

.22lr, if you own any gun you need one. Ammo is cheap, get a bolt action, which is easy to clean. My marlin bolt action, which I've had since I was a kid, is grouping 6 inches at 200 yards. That's bulk ammo, all stock gun, and a scope I bought used 25+ years ago. You can't go wrong imo.

8. meal4zombies

meal4zombies New Member

There's an interesting video on youtube showing the penetration difference between .17HMR and .22LR, tested on a metal helmet. The .22LR's deflected right off the helmet and just chipped the paint and made a small dimple. The .17HMR's put a clean hole into the helmet. The 22WMR seems to only chronograph at about 300 to 400 fps faster than the 22LR mostly from what I've seen, and even worse in the Kel Tec PMR with its short barrel. Never shot a .17HMR in my life, but I wish someone would come out with a high-cap semi-auto carbine in .17HMR. Not much on break or bolt actions. For .22LR you just can't beat the 10/22, though. Reliable as all hell and cheap mags to boot (including drums), lots of customization options for target shooting including heavy barrels (which are also cheap) and match grade triggers. I have yet to see another .22LR semi-auto perform as reliably as the 10/22.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSIp22uaWrQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSIp22uaWrQ[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  9. meal4zombies

meal4zombies New Member

I almost forgot to mention the .22 stinger. It's the same profile as the .22LR but with a smaller bullet and more shell with more powder. Fits in any 22LR gun. Quite a bit more penetration than the .22LR, good for the 10/22. Been told the chamber is not long enough to accommodate the longer brass, but it works fine in mine. Might want to read up on it before using it.

There's always velocitor ammo too:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEDo_PbAvJc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEDo_PbAvJc[/ame]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  10. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

22 mags can get close to 2000 fps and carry more energy at 100yds with a 40 grain bullet than the 22lr does at the muzzle. OP, you are sort of comparing apples to oranges with this question, I have a couple 22lrs and they are good guns to plink around or shoot squirrels and what not and they are cheap to shoot, if you want to shoot farther more consistently and don't mind the extra ammo cost then I'd go with one of the 2 magnums, that being said it is my personal opinion that if you just want to shoot targets out to 150-200 yds the 17 is good and accurate, if you want to actually kill animals like coyotes at the farther distance I'd go with the 22 mag, the 223 is even better idea for that.

11. big shrek

Problem is, few semi-auto .22lr's are rated for Hypervelocity ammo from the factory...even the 1022 requires a buffer change...(Tuffer Buffer)
    as it will tend to wear out an OEM buffer rather quickly...potentially even cracking the receiver (Zamak's) after the buffer fails...
    also aftermarket trigger MFR's warn against Hyper-velo ammo as it can wear out the sear faster on 1022's...ruining an expensive setup...

the round was meant for bolt & levers...solid locks which make it safer to fire the hot round from ;)

many of the Hyper-velo rounds also have Longer Case Lengths...which can cause yet another issue...out-of-battery firings...
    can we say OUCH!?! Hot Gas and burning powder can be rather painful and I hope you got yer eye protection on!

Out of a properly equipped rifle, lots of fun...really makes the shaving cream cans explode!
    But tend to lack in precision due to the twist rates in most barrels being set up for Standard Velo or High Velo ammo...

If I want more BANG, I switch from .22lr to .22WMR w/ 30-rd mags with the Grendels ;)
    [​IMG]

12. big shrek

Oh, someone mentioned a semi-auto .17HMR...the ones that pops to mind fast...the Remmy 597 & Magnum Research's...total failures.
    The .17-HMR case is even less adept at semi-auto actions than the .22WMR...at least there are a few .22MWR's that work.

Possibly in the future some bright rascal will figure out a way to make .17HMR work in a semi-auto...
    but I sure wouldn't hold my breath...

13. meal4zombies

meal4zombies New Member

Wow, I've never really paid attention. I haven't tried the velocitor, but I've shot a few boxes of stingers with my 10/22. Didn't have any major problems, but it was only about 100 rounds total. I actually had a few problems with normal 22LR firing before fully chambered from slamming the primer. They would get caught up sideways trying to feed. Got a bit of brass in my eye but otherwise ok. I wear goggles now.

14. phildenton

phildenton New Member

hmm, thats a rifle id have checked out by the 'smith.

15. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I've never had trouble with stingers in my 10/22, I've shot quite a few through it. I haven't ever used the velocitors

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Replace the steel recoil pin with a Delrin pin in your 10-22 if you are going to shoot stingers. It is a good idea anyway. It will prevent the holes in the aluminum receiver from getting elongated over time.

17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

What? The stinger is a .22lr w/ a 32gr bullet. WTH are you talking about? Velositor is a .22lr also. ??????????

18. meal4zombies

meal4zombies New Member

The case length is different than a standard .22LR. Get some and compare them.

[​IMG]

See the 3rd and 4th cartridges? The 3rd is 22LR. The 4th is 22 stinger. The case length is different. There have been reported problems due to the length of the brass in some chambers. And by comparison of the same .22LR to Stinger, you are basically saying the .22LR is the same as the .22 short, because its case length is the almost same length difference less from the 22LR than the stinger is more than 22LR.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  19. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Now how'd I miss THAT after all these years? OK, so how does that cause out-of-battery ignition!? Obviously they build the light-headed hyper-velocity .22 LR to fit and fire in .22 chambers.

20. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

OK, so WHAT chamber ARE you supposed to shoot stingers out of? JPattersonnh is right, it says "LR" right on the box in the photo......
    I have always used them interchangeably with reg. 22LR, never a problem.