.22 long rifle HP expansion test

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by primer1, Sep 16, 2013.

1. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have always wondered the difference between .22 lr ammo types and how they behave, so I did a little test. I used plastic gallon milk jugs full of cold water, lined up perfectly, all the same type jug so not to skew the results. Temperature was 80 degrees Fahrenheit, humidity was Ohio in august :p. Test rifle was my first firearm, my early eighties marlin model 25, 21 inch barrel, all shots were at 40 yards.

As I list each type of ammo, I will state the number of jugs the bullet penetrated into, some shed their jackets into separate jugs that the slug was recovered from. Velocities are claimed from the manufacturer on the box, because primer is too frugal to buy a chronograph.

From top row left, win power point, 40 gr HP at 1280fps. Jacket recovered in jug 1, slug in 3, penetrated back of jug 3 and dented jug 4.

Second from left, federal champion 36 grain HP, 1280 fps, 4 jugs of penetration. The hollow point barely deformed.

Top row, third from left, CCI mini mag, 36 grain HP, 1260 fps. Jacket, 1, slug in 3.

Second row, from left, aguila super maximum hyper velocity 30 gr HP, 1750 fps. Beautiful mushroom caught in the second jug.

Second row center, win 555 36 grain hp, 1280 fps, jacket fragments found in 1 and 2, slug in 3.

Second row right, CCI segmented 40 gr HP, 1050 fps, one segment and small fragment in jug 1, two segments in jug 2.

Bottom row left, CCI velocitur 40 gr HP, 1435 fps, 100% retention and nice expansion, recovered in jug 4.

Bottom right, win 555 drilled into a deep hollowpoint, approximately 2/3 into the body of the bullet with an .080 drill. Multiple fragments recovered in jug 1, slug in jug 2.

I was surprised with some of the results, I didn't expect to see that much fragmentation with some of the rounds, especially the bulk win 555. I was also surprised at the differences between types, the federal with no practical change, and the aguila performing like a premium self defense round. Equally impressive was the CCI segmented HP, performing exactly as advertised.

Admittedly, this test isn't perfect if someone was to compare the results to flesh and bone, but it demonstrates the capabilities and differences between manufactures, weights, and even velocities as to how each round will expand and penetrate.

I sincerely hope you enjoyed this as much as I did.

Attached Files:

2. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Shot a squirrel with a .22 CB a few days ago, bullet turned into a grenade in the broiler room.

3. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Interesting thanks for sharing.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

interesting results. im surprised you got any expansion in water jugs. water isnt typically a great medium to get bullets to expand.

great write up

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  5. primer1

Thanks guys. I was surprised at the amount of fragmentation from the water. The plastic is tough and had to contribute to some of the expansion. I wasn't going to waste a chunk of meat for the test.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

clay or diy ballistic gel are pretty good media to test expansion.

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

If only you had used a 40gr mini mag solid... curious how those would do.

8. primer1

I only used hollowpoints because I didn't think solids would expand at all in water. I'm out of jugs at the current time.

-yelling at kid to drink more milk-