.22 Long Rifle distance

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Archenbow, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Archenbow

Archenbow New Member

So, just how far can a good marksman push a .22lr? I usually plink at about 110 yds, though I do have a target set at about 135~ yards, and I don't consider myself a marksman at all compared to....a lot of people. How far can I make it go and still get about a six in. grouping? Or perhaps a better question would be, what's the effective range?

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

140 m, after that it's near impossible to correct for the significant drop it's ballistics present.

3. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

This guy shoots out to 200 yards in this video and even farther in some other videos with a ruger 10/22 w/ vortex 4-12 scope on it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxENqNnQILE&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

4. cbibb

cbibb New Member

There used to be competitions at 200yd for .22rifles and know there's tactical matches out in California were they go out to 3or400 yd with them check it out its quite cool and they use savage , Anschutz,marlins,and ruger s size of targets vary to the distance silhouette pistol shooters take pistols and shoot out to 100yd from a standing or crab position and that's rimfire pistols some guys train at 200yds with a 22 cause it similar to shooting a 308 at 1000 just to help dope the wind

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

When shooting 22's at more than 100 yards it really puts the shooter to the test. I've been in matches with old rifles where we all shot at 200 yards with iron sights.

6. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

It's hard for me to find a safe place to do this long distance shots but when I went out of town and went out into the woods found a safe place I coulda probably got 200 yards out of but 115 yards but looked far enough it took me about 20 shots cause I couldn't see where my shots were heading to tall of grass so i shot the dirt at 50 yards and then found out my gun was dead on then I was able to hit the water bottle at 115 yards within 5 shots I'm not the best shot expescially without my glasses although it's very rewarding to see that water bottle blow up

7. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXr_aVcmQk0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXr_aVcmQk0[/ame]

I've watched videos of up to 500 yards.

8. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Without knowing what the 'flags' are made of, anybody wanna take a guess what the wind speed was in the video above?

9. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

About 4 to 8mph from 10:30.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  10. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Using cheap bulk 22lr ammo...the best I can do is about 1.5" group @ 75 yards. For longer shots I prefer my 17hmr. I can shoot .5" groups @ 100 yards with the 17hmr. Squirrels at 100+ yards is a blast. :)

11. Archenbow

Archenbow New Member

Dang, 400 yards? O.O That's amazing. I max at about 150 but only because we live on a steep hillside, and my targets are on an opposite hill. So at the apex my .22 round is about a 100 feet off the ground over the creek bed. I find if hard to account for wind at because there's no tree tops up there or anything. But I didn't know 400 yds was possible. What's the average drop on that?

12. Archenbow

Archenbow New Member

Dang, 300 yards? O.O I usually shoot at about 120 or so but only because we live on a steep hill side, and my targets are on the other hill facing us. So at it's apex the .22 round is probably about 100 feet above the creek. I find it hard to account for wind I can't see. Though I have been consistently hitting a tin cat at about 120. And a larger 2-3 gallon tin bucket at about 135/140~.

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

ive only pushed it out to 100 yards. mostly because i have no reason to shoot farther than that with a .22

14. Archenbow

Archenbow New Member

Wow, 400 yards, that's amazing. I suppose that takes a lot of practice on the same range, so that you can predict your variables. Whats the normal long range shooting distance for iron sights competitions?

15. Archenbow

Archenbow New Member

Oops. Looks like I posted the same thing twice. It went to page two and I didn't see the page two so I thought it wasn't working.

16. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I bought a .22lr as ‘trainer’ for long range. I put a Pride Fowler rimfire scope on it. It has BDC reticle for high velocity .22lr in it. There are lines every 20 yards out to 200 yards. Why PFI chose HV instead of subsonic I don’t know. So far the 50, 80 & 100 yard marks are right on. While I haven’t had the chance to get to the longer ranges to see if it holds up at those distances, I’ve gotta believe they did their homework and decided that 200 yards was practical and repeatable, and that distances over that, it wasn’t.

At 400 yards with a .22 I’m thinking you’re actually firing a mortar, not a rifle.

17. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

.22 at 200 yds

The first video makes it look fun to shoot!!! Young fellow knows what he is doing.

18. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

I was shooting my 60 at about 400 yards 2 weeks ago. Its my cousin's farm and there is an old white stove sitting at the edge of the field, again, roughly 400 yards away. I was just trying to see if I could hear the hits on it. I got close a couple times, to where I could see the the dust kick up just in front of it. The BDC on my scope goes to 175 yards. So i went around to 175, then stopped at 175 on the second time around. It got my close, but there was some wind kicking the bullets about 2-3 feet to the left. Was fun to try. I may have to set up a steel plate on the wood pile that we normally shoot at to see if I can get any shots on the target this weekend.

19. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

at one point I was able to take an Old Taurus revolver with 4" barrel and hit a 12"x12" target at 200 yards about 50% of the time,but only if there was absolutely no wind.

20. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

For the average shooter, using an average rifle, I think most folks consider 75 yards the max effective range.

Even with my Anschutz, and RWS R50 match ammo I wouldn't shoot at an animal past 75 yards.